Home

EA Going Away From In-Game Ads? Microtransactions Proving Far More Lucrative

This is a discussion on EA Going Away From In-Game Ads? Microtransactions Proving Far More Lucrative within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
EA Going Away From In-Game Ads? Microtransactions Proving Far More Lucrative

Is EA going away from in-game advertising? According to Edge, they might be.

Quote:
"In-game advertising has not delivered the expected levels of revenue, with microtransactions proving far more lucrative for EA.

The publisher’s general manager of free-to-play, Ben Cousins, told us: “We actually aren’t getting much from ad revenue at all. The in-game advertising business hasn’t grown as fast as people expected it to.”

He points to the success enjoyed by Zynga, the publisher that has enjoyed huge revenues from microtransactions in its Facebook games, as evidence of his claim. “If you think about how fast the virtual goods business has grown in the last year or so, it’s been much quicker and become a much more reliable source of revenue."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / Wii
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
So basically, 4% of the market - the whales - are running things. This is depressing, because EA has shown they are not above making it so that you cannot compete unless you microtransact. Try doing Ultimate Team in any game that has it without paying. Just try it.

The difference here is that Zynga's games are free to play. Yes, they're a terrible company that gets by solely on copying the work of other people and pretending it's theirs - "copy what they do until you get their numbers" - but you can at least play the game for free. EA's going with a microtransaction model on games that are $60 to start with, and need to be replaced yearly. No one's thinking this is a bad thing?

Oh, I'm sorry. You're all working on your overpowered Ultimate Teams. My bad.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: EA Going Away From In-Game Ads? Microtransactions Proving Far More Lucrative

Microtransaction in Madden is like going to the mall but having to pay $60 just to walk through the doors.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: EA Going Away From In-Game Ads? Microtransactions Proving Far More Lucrative

Haven't bought one thing. I was thinking of playing the 2010 season madden moments but when I saw that you had to literally purchase every scenario, I just let out a big, "COME ON, MAN!"
Old 12-20-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 41
I find it weird that this article (especially the snippet) makes it sound like microtransactions and advertising are mutually exclusive. In reality, a company could do both, but it would make their games seem infinitely annoying. People will still buy Madden in troves, though.

I've paid for DLC in the past, but I definitely don't have enough money to do so anymore. If you're going to intentionally withhold stuff from me to get more revenue, I'll just blast your game like crazy and hope that I can prevent other people from giving the company their $60 in addition to the $5-10 I spend on adding levels or modes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 29

maybe we can get some more creative fake ads like the Triple Play series used to have
Old 12-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
Pro

Ronstr's Arena

OVR: 9
Maybe they can put them together. 25 cent Snickers bar in Madden 12?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
Microtransaction in Madden is like going to the mall but having to pay $60 just to walk through the doors.
yea that analogy really does not work

I am of the Opinion that DLC is a good thing. Its not like you have to pay anything extra in any EA Sports game to play it, They basically charge for Cheats and Ultimate team. I really do wish they would start creating DLC that added to the game like different broadcast packages or Stadium packages. Hell if I were in Charge of EA i would have teams that created DLC like stadium packages or Changes to the game that could not be added until the following year.

That would basically allow EA to cash in on their current game but make the following years game better by having more content.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »