Home

MLB 11 The Show Hands-On Preview - Major Overhaul in RttS Mode (GameInformer)

This is a discussion on MLB 11 The Show Hands-On Preview - Major Overhaul in RttS Mode (GameInformer) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
MLB 11 The Show Hands-On Preview - Major Overhaul in RttS Mode (GameInformer)

GameInformers' Matt Bertz, has posted his MLB 11 The Show hands-on preview. He mostly talks about the major overhaul in RttS mode.

Quote:
"In past creators you were given a blank slate and a bunch of experience points to add wherever you saw fit. This year, Sony is introducing dynamic interactive sliders to help you better tailor your slugger or pitcher. Before you're given attribute points to juice up your prospect, the game presents you with three adjustable sliders that help determine your playing style. For pitchers, the sliders are stamina vs. power, control vs. movement, and pitching repetoire vs. dominant pitch. By moving the sliders across the 100-point scales, you can create drastically different players. If you want to create an innings eater like Carl Pavano, you'd move the sliders toward stamina, control, and pitching repetiore. If you want a power thrower with one pitch to rule them all like Stephen Strasburg, you'd move the sliders toward power, movement, and dominant pitch. Position players have sliders for power vs. contact, glove vs. arm, and speed vs. strength.

Previous Road to the Show modes guided players with dynamic goals that changed every game. Some of the goals, like avoid striking out, seemed obvious. Others, like the coach telling you to take the first pitch, seemed arbitrary. Rather than tweak the logic, Sony decided to scrap the system altogether in favor of a new player performance evaluator. This new logic system tracks your every at-bat or pitching match-up and assigns you a grade for each one. At the end of the game, your overall grade determines the amount of skill points you receive. The evaluator understands the subtleties of the sport better than the dynamic goals ever did; if you foul off nine pitches before popping out, the game knows this is a good at-bat because you stressed the pitcher, and it rewards you appropriately. The same applies to pitching; you're not going to get as many points for striking out a batter on 10 pitches as you would for getting a batter to ground out in three pitches."
Platform: PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: MLB 11 The Show Hands-On Preview - Major Overhaul in RttS Mode (GameInformer)

Sounds like RTTS is taking a giant leap in the right direction this year. I might actually be able to put some more time into it. I like that they are trying to better define players and link that to progression. Also glad to see that performance seems to be the primary factor in both game evaluation and call-up/send-downs.

I'm more looking forward to franchise related stuff, but it's nice to see RTTS get some much needed work.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: MLB 11 The Show Hands-On Preview - Major Overhaul in RttS Mode (GameInformer)

MLB 10 was one of the best looking sports games ever, but with improvements like a new lighting engine, dynamic cloud cover, better transitions from day to night, new stadium fireworks, authentic jumbotrons for each ballpark, and more natural looking player models, MLB 11 is poised to outshine its predecessor. Sony also also recorded several new post-pitch animations and new batter/pitcher walkups. Rounding out the changes to the presentation, former slugger Eric Karros replaces Rex Hudler as the color commentator.

The franchise mode is also receiving some attention. Sony has reworked the trade and waiver wire logic so teams analyze their rosters more realistically; don't expect teams to trade away surefire aces like David Price. To keep you abreast of league happenings during the season, Sony has added a ticker that displays scores and stats from the other league games.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

This kind of improvement makes waiting really hard this coming from a guy who doesnt like baseball, but that likes MLB the show for its efforts. I havent been this anticipated for a game since GTA IV.
RTTS is the only mode I play and this kind of improvement makes any doubt of me not getting this game really foolish.
" Sony decided to scrap the system altogether in favor of a new player performance evaluator. This new logic system tracks your every at-bat or pitching match-up and assigns you a grade for each one. At the end of the game, your overall grade determines the amount of skill points you receive. The evaluator understands the subtleties of the sport better than the dynamic goals ever did; if you foul off nine pitches before popping out, the game knows this is a good at-bat because you stressed the pitcher, and it rewards you appropriately. The same applies to pitching; you're not going to get as many points for striking out a batter on 10 pitches as you would for getting a batter to ground out in three pitches."
Good because I hated having to give up a good hit because I had to take a hit. But I have to improve my plate discipline. I swing at a lot of close pitches.

"The franchise mode is also receiving some attention. Sony has reworked the trade and waiver wire logic so teams analyze their rosters more realistically; don't expect teams to trade away surefire aces like David Price. To keep you abreast of league happenings during the season, Sony has added a ticker that displays scores and stats from the other league games. "
this helps RTTS because the trade logic was flawed.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 2

I can see myself playing this mode for a very long time..Since I started reading about the new game I began playing the current one and realize how fun it is...These are all ideas Ive said to myself that I wanted and supported here on OS..also looking forward to off line franchise upgrades too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
Rookie

michfan16's Arena

OVR: 12
great because it seems a bit more like my player from 2k basketball
Old 01-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #7
Jedi Master

Rob_NYY's Arena

OVR: 21

I used to LOVE the RttS mode. Ever since RttS was a part of The Show series, I have created a pitcher and a batter and taken them both years and years into their careers. In MLB '09, I was a 26 year old coming off a Cy Young award winning season (22-4 with a low 2 ERA) and I did not receive one offer from another team as a free agent. I was so frustrated I stopped playing.

In The Show '10, I created a pitcher and batter and after about a week of playing, I found myself bored with the mode and frustrated by the silly goal system. I stopped playing RttS after a week and never touched it again.

I am so excited that they overhauled the whole system. Everything in this article is exactly how I have always wanted RttS to be.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #8
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_NYY
I used to LOVE the RttS mode. Ever since RttS was a part of The Show series, I have created a pitcher and a batter and taken them both years and years into their careers. In MLB '09, I was a 26 year old coming off a Cy Young award winning season (22-4 with a low 2 ERA) and I did not receive one offer from another team as a free agent. I was so frustrated I stopped playing.

In The Show '10, I created a pitcher and batter and after about a week of playing, I found myself bored with the mode and frustrated by the silly goal system. I stopped playing RttS after a week and never touched it again.

I am so excited that they overhauled the whole system. Everything in this article is exactly how I have always wanted RttS to be.
I know exactly what you mean. It is way more like an RPG now. Excited to try it out next week. And we will be bringing you guys a wealth of impressions.

Sent from the dugout using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »