Home

Peter Moore Blog: Is Boxing Dead?

This is a discussion on Peter Moore Blog: Is Boxing Dead? within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Peter Moore Blog: Is Boxing Dead?

The President of EA Sports, Peter Moore has posted another blog, where he asks... Is Boxing Dead?

Of course he brings in a little Fight Night Champion flavor into the mix. Check it out.

Quote:
"I hear the question often - Is boxing dead? My answer is always an emphatic no.

Is the sport challenged by declining interest, a lack of bona fide superstars (sorry Manny) and the growth of mixed martial arts? Absolutely. Does the sport miss the dynamic legends of the past, like Ali, Frazier, Foreman and Holmes? Of course. As a lifetime fight fan, I will always remember as a young boy listening to the big fights from America on a transistor radio under my pillow at night. Those were the days when there was no bigger global sporting event than a world heavyweight championship fight. While title fights still routinely generate tens of millions of pay-per-view dollars and are watched by millions, the sport of boxing clearly is not the cultural fixture it once was. But, let me be clear, boxing’s not dead."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
MVP

Vast's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Peter Moore Blog: Is Boxing Dead?

Well at least now we know where the story mode idea came from.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Don't know too much about this, but can you create a boxer in the story mode? Or are you stuck with the default character?
Old 01-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTFUNDAMENTALZ
Don't know too much about this, but can you create a boxer in the story mode? Or are you stuck with the default character?
Stuck with the default guy. Legacy is for created boxers.

I would have much rather they focused all of this effort on Legacy Mode than some pre-determined story mode, but it is what it is.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
MVP

Vast's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
Stuck with the default guy. Legacy is for created boxers.

I would have much rather they focused all of this effort on Legacy Mode than some pre-determined story mode, but it is what it is.
Exactly! Peter Moore says "Gamers are looking for innovation, and, in boxing, we have a unique opportunity to tell the stories behind the game and to bring the participants to life as characters, not just players. The sport of boxing gives us a chance to create a true cinematic sports experience."

Why not create an organic legacy mode that has these elements sprinkled in. We would all be blown away. everyone.

Starcraft is such a deep and intricate game that still sells millions. Why does EA think simple is best? That things can't be too difficult, "can't add too much depth, it'll scare away the casuals."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
The OS Artist Guy

NYG_Meth's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
Exactly! Peter Moore says "Gamers are looking for innovation, and, in boxing, we have a unique opportunity to tell the stories behind the game and to bring the participants to life as characters, not just players. The sport of boxing gives us a chance to create a true cinematic sports experience."

Why not create an organic legacy mode that has these elements sprinkled in. We would all be blown away. everyone.

Starcraft is such a deep and intricate game that still sells millions. Why does EA think simple is best? That things can't be too difficult, "can't add too much depth, it'll scare away the casuals."
I hear ya, brutha...
Old 01-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast

Exactly. I hope that's something they'll be doing down the road.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

I didn't read the article but instead decided to answer the question in the title... Is boxing dead?

No. It is very much alive in the lighter weights, but it's struggling mostly in the HW division. Any boxing follower/supporter would've said the same thing.
...we held several meetings to discuss the future of the franchise. After going through those meetings, it became very clear that the vision I had for the game was different from where the leadership wanted to take it. I parted ways with EA shortly after...

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »