Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: A Video Game Needing A Voice Unlike Any Other

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: A Video Game Needing A Voice Unlike Any Other within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: A Video Game Needing A Voice Unlike Any Other

Owen Good chimes in on the addition of Jim Nantz and The Masters, both of which will be in the upcoming Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12.

Quote:
"Nantz supplied original content, he just did it by, well, freestyling the delivery.

"I'd be veering off the script," Nantz said. "There was a staccato, one-line-at-a-time delivery, but for maybe eight scripted lines I'd do four or five of my own," Nantz said. "I'd look back and notice they had each one of those lines coded for where it goes in the game. I'd say ‘Is that OK?' and they'd go, ‘We love it when you do that.'"

Unlike traditional voice work in a sports title, often fixated on the current season or its top performers, Nantz understood his job here was to narrate something very personal to those playing the game.

"It's like a religious experience. I know that, because I hear that from people all the time," Nantz said. "If this game gives them the opportunity to finally play Augusta National, to give them an experience that is real to them, and I'm there because I've been their tour guide at The Masters for the past 25 years, it will be just as nice for me."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PC
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: A Video Game Needing A Voice Unlike Any Other

Cool find. Thanks Steve. I am pumped to hear him in the game, I really believe this year is going to be great.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 11
So glad David Feherty is back
Old 01-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 24

I wouldn't get your hopes up guys. If you watch the video with the devs in the TW 12 thread the commentary is still oddly cold, sparse and disconnected. They threw Nantz in there but it's like last year where it doesn't have that feel that the announcers are in the same room like other sports titles. While Nantz recorded new commentray I'm almost certain Feherty didn't because from what I heard he uses the exact same lines he did on his prior TW games so while he is back it's just the same canned lines.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
I wouldn't get your hopes up guys. If you watch the video with the devs in the TW 12 thread the commentary is still oddly cold, sparse and disconnected.
Not surprising since the game is still in Beta.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2011, 03:27 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 33
Just by reading this article it makes it clear that the commentary is going to be the same as ever. Single line comments on each shot type with no expansion on it's relevance or to it's impact within the round of golf being played. The commentary needs to be more than just a repetitive dialogue on the shot that's been taken. It needs to capture the atmosphere of the specific event & comment on the progress of the event.

Nantz makes a comment regarding the difficulty of commentating on a user created player. Although it's true that there can be no pre-scripted history of a created player, surely the commentary can be dynamic & refer to the individuals performances in prior tournaments within the career.

There also needs to be more commentary that is specific to the various courses. Other than the Hole-Fly-By introduction there is rarely, if ever, any comments made on the specific nature of a hole.

EA have got the right man in the booth but there appears to be a lack of creativity in getting the best out of him.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
Rookie

GrandMaster B's Arena

OVR: 15
Are these guys just announcing while you are playing The Masters or are they in the whole game?
Old 01-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMaster B
Are these guys just announcing while you are playing The Masters or are they in the whole game?
The whole game....

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »