Home

Peter Moore Blog: Is Boxing Dead?

This is a discussion on Peter Moore Blog: Is Boxing Dead? within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: Peter Moore Blog: Is Boxing Dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampN252
I can only hope boxing isn't dead. It's my favorite sport...well, tied with baseball. Little things need to be done to bring the popularity back up. More national TV matches, much attention getters, lot what Paccy and Floyd are doing. We need a new Roy Jones Jr. A boxer than is great and backs it up week after week. That guy was mad popular. I saw him in an old episode of Married with Children. I'd imagine he had a lot of TV time.
That's not the problem with boxing. There are alot of great fighters out there. Problem is they're not fighting each other and they're not because "why fight this other great fighter for 10 million when I can fight this tin can for the same amount of money."
Old 01-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
This blog is an example of how video games work. Here we have an executive of EA Sports telling us why they went with this version of Fight Night, and if you read everything in its context, it's not a bad move at all.

A for-profit company is going to always be challenged with increasing revenue. Moore's question, "Is boxing dead," tells us that they can't trust the sport itself to sell the game. That's completely understandable. We aren't here on the release of a new system, where FN3 was, showing us graphics we've never seen before and that alone being the foundation of a big seller. Now EA is challenged with a less popular sport (among gamers) and they have to do something to catch the eye of the consumer.

I think the Champion Mode is a step in the right direction. It's also nice to see Moore comment on the broken stamina system that hurt FN4's online mode. At first I read the blog as an obvious PR stunt to promote FNC in a positive light, but in its context, what he writes shows us what probably goes on from the top down. The pressures are there to seel the game, while the developers try to make the game a solid representation of the sport.
Great post. Insights like these are why following the gaming industry can be fun and interesting. I really prefer to look at the hows and whys when it comes to the creation of video games.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

To chime in on the question if boxing is dead; No it's not. Not at all.
However, it's not close to having the popularity it once had 60 years ago.

Multiple belts certainly have helped dilute the field, but I think the greater evil has been the addition of several weight classes.

Get rid of all the catchweights, leave Cruiserweight and reduce the amount of divisions to 9.
Imagine how great the Light-Heavyweight class would be if you added all the Super-Six contestants?
Or how about forcing all the great fighters at 140 into Welterweight?

There would be no avoiding anyone. Boxing would be back in a huge way.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #20
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
Exactly! Peter Moore says "Gamers are looking for innovation, and, in boxing, we have a unique opportunity to tell the stories behind the game and to bring the participants to life as characters, not just players. The sport of boxing gives us a chance to create a true cinematic sports experience."

Why not create an organic legacy mode that has these elements sprinkled in. We would all be blown away. everyone.

Starcraft is such a deep and intricate game that still sells millions. Why does EA think simple is best? That things can't be too difficult, "can't add too much depth, it'll scare away the casuals."
Yeah i was shocked that Mass Effect 2 lacked the customization of Mass Effect 1. I dont know if EA was behind that but its fishy...

Next thing you know you're not going to be able to control the life of your Sims in The Sims 4...

Last edited by Jukeman; 01-14-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #21
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerzIgnite
no idea why there is so much hate for the story mode. personally i loved the Road to Wrestlemania mode...which is basically the same thing. Plus in SvR theres still the normal CAW career and they are fine as 2 different things.

looking forward to this story mode thing, for sure.

apparently you havent played SVR 2011 and experience all of the flaws and bugs the Universe Mode has (the new career mode)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #22
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
This blog is an example of how video games work. Here we have an executive of EA Sports telling us why they went with this version of Fight Night, and if you read everything in its context, it's not a bad move at all.

A for-profit company is going to always be challenged with increasing revenue. Moore's question, "Is boxing dead," tells us that they can't trust the sport itself to sell the game. That's completely understandable. We aren't here on the release of a new system, where FN3 was, showing us graphics we've never seen before and that alone being the foundation of a big seller. Now EA is challenged with a less popular sport (among gamers) and they have to do something to catch the eye of the consumer.

I think the Champion Mode is a step in the right direction. It's also nice to see Moore comment on the broken stamina system that hurt FN4's online mode. At first I read the blog as an obvious PR stunt to promote FNC in a positive light, but in its context, what he writes shows us what probably goes on from the top down. The pressures are there to seel the game, while the developers try to make the game a solid representation of the sport.
Remove "game" "EA" and enter PBF....Same thing...

Sorry for the triple posts.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #23
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
To chime in on the question if boxing is dead; No it's not. Not at all.
However, it's not close to having the popularity it once had 60 years ago.

Multiple belts certainly have helped dilute the field, but I think the greater evil has been the addition of several weight classes.

Get rid of all the catchweights, leave Cruiserweight and reduce the amount of divisions to 9.
Imagine how great the Light-Heavyweight class would be if you added all the Super-Six contestants?
Or how about forcing all the great fighters at 140 into Welterweight?

There would be no avoiding anyone. Boxing would be back in a huge way.
Never will happen. Too many corrupt sanctioning bodies, promoters and state commissions.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Never will happen. Too many corrupt sanctioning bodies, promoters and state commissions.
Absolutely.

The ONLY chance boxing has to cleaning up so we're seeing good bouts and one champ is if some crazy billionaire forms his own league ala UFC and signs all the good fighters out of the amateur ranks before pariah like Don King or Bob Arum get their talons into them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »