Home

MLB 2K11 Developer Insight #1 - Marketing Looks Back at MLB 2K10

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 Developer Insight #1 - Marketing Looks Back at MLB 2K10 within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 2K11 Developer Insight #1 - Marketing Looks Back at MLB 2K10

Actually we are getting nothing really....We knew this type of info last May....This should'nt be an insight about MLB 2k11..... Insights are things about upcoming game not an event that took place because someone played last years game......If thats the case you can have an insight of me throwing my controller through my window(bad idea)........So when do we get next "insight"?
Old 01-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #18

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I don't mind that, I'm just saying that Ronnie tweeted there would be more info this week. This shouldn't qualify as info, if this actually is what he was referring to.

Besides, it's all about questioning their schedule. They could have done this months ago, for all we are concerned. They do not want to lose customers at the helm for "showing lack of concern" for the customers. I understand the Internet crowd is a small bit of moving sales, but the important thing is tiding people over for all that I know. Having that feeling that this community is involved with the game even just a little bit really woos us in the end. For the past three years I haven't come close to getting that vibe from 2K or Ronnie. That's what I think most people are getting out of this Developer Insight.
Believe me, sometimes I question if Ronnie is a self-proclaimed 2K rep and they have no affiliation with him. My thing here though is if you look at the context of 2K's past Developer Insights, given the depth they offer there, it's fitting to have a quick look back at what they did with the $1M giveaway. That's now out of the way and they can focus on future insights.

You have to look at what they have to work with too. I thought 2K did exceptional with NBA 2K11's release. But even then many started with, "I sure hope the insights aren't all about Jordan." They weren't and the rest is history. I just don't see how touching on giving away $1M is something to be shaking our heads at and claiming 2K is oblivious.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #19
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
They gave someone ONE MILLION DOLLARS! Does that not resonate some type of positive vibe among gamers?!? And they're doing it for a second year in a row! We know from not just MLB 2K, but also with NBA 2K, the Developer Insights are a strength with pre-release material. Why not make the first one a quick look back at what no other sports game has done before?

What in the hell have we become that we can't even appreciate things for what they are and not moan and groan our way around every single bit of information that these developers release? And I can't help but laugh at how so many talk about how wonderful NBA 2K is and how 2K has merely written MLB 2K off because "it's just not worth it." Do you not think 2K Sports, like they have with their more popular titles, has a deep concern about the quality of product they put out? Or, do you think there is this odd bi-polar disorder that kicks in when MLB Dev time kicks in?

There's a guy 1 million dollars richer and they'll be another this year. Being a part of that was probably very exciting. Being able to give that guy that much money and see him receive it was probably a highlight. Why not take a look back real quick before going deep into the insights?
You're really missing the point. If all they have to talk about first is the marketing side of this game, chances are it's gonna be as bad as it was last year. If they had fixed a lot of the problems and made substantial progress, the developer would be giddy with anticipation to let everyone know about all the new features. But alas, they want to try to swoon people into buying the game again this year with the hope they'll be the next one million dollar winner. Sad.

Last edited by chiodos; 01-14-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #20
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
2K, you've really got to step your game up. I know there's a lot of guys like myself that have been playing videogames for a long, long time and we want to see you succeed, but you've got to give us more -- a lot more -- than this.
2K just finds ways to annoy people that are trying to like the game. Let's face it, these dev blogs are for the hardcore and yet they suck. Where is the feature list, impressions, community day, etc? The Show is out there and impressing people with their changes and this is the first response? Give me a break.

You need to wow people early and at the end. That's what people remember most. Instead the company just whines about the money they are losing on the MLB deal and ignores us. I'm really unimpressed at this point.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #21
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
They gave someone ONE MILLION DOLLARS! Does that not resonate some type of positive vibe among gamers?!? And they're doing it for a second year in a row! We know from not just MLB 2K, but also with NBA 2K, the Developer Insights are a strength with pre-release material. Why not make the first one a quick look back at what no other sports game has done before?

What in the hell have we become that we can't even appreciate things for what they are and not moan and groan our way around every single bit of information that these developers release? And I can't help but laugh at how so many talk about how wonderful NBA 2K is and how 2K has merely written MLB 2K off because "it's just not worth it." Do you not think 2K Sports, like they have with their more popular titles, has a deep concern about the quality of product they put out? Or, do you think there is this odd bi-polar disorder that kicks in when MLB Dev time kicks in?

There's a guy 1 million dollars richer and they'll be another this year. Being a part of that was probably very exciting. Being able to give that guy that much money and see him receive it was probably a highlight. Why not take a look back real quick before going deep into the insights?
See your point Dave. It's great that they gave away a million bucks and will be doing it again but people want to hear info about this year's title. It's cool that people will get a chance to purchase a $60.00 lottery ticket, it would just be cool to know that if people don't win they won't just be stuck with a losing ticket and average game. It's still early and all but they need to be coming hard this year with game info.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #22
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Believe me, sometimes I question if Ronnie is a self-proclaimed 2K rep and they have no affiliation with him. My thing here though is if you look at the context of 2K's past Developer Insights, given the depth they offer there, it's fitting to have a quick look back at what they did with the $1M giveaway. That's now out of the way and they can focus on future insights.

You have to look at what they have to work with too. I thought 2K did exceptional with NBA 2K11's release. But even then many started with, "I sure hope the insights aren't all about Jordan." They weren't and the rest is history. I just don't see how touching on giving away $1M is something to be shaking our heads at and claiming 2K is oblivious.
That's sort of our point about Ronnie. The guy talks big about releasing info and then the info is delayed or lame. He's as good at marketing as Lucy is as a holder for Charlie Brown and it's very annoying.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #23
Rookie

You know, I really want to not hate this game, but 2K isn't giving me any reason to like it.

I would like to have two great baseball games this year, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #24
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Yeah, disappointing insight. I enjoyed the content but not as a "dev insight." I understand their reasons for opening with this, they just should've called it something else.

Also, I too wonder why they aren't hitting their features HARD. I mean, the competition has lifted the one thing that stood out about this game (control scheme, even though it's slightly different), and therefore , where I was thinking of buying only 2k11 this year, I'll probably stick with the competition even thought 2k11 wins in other areas.

They need to tell us something substantial about this game FAST, if they want to sell, at least to ps3 users.

Also, let's not turn this into "flame 2k11"...although I agree with Rudy; they do seem to simply find ways to irk people who are looking for ANY LITTLE reason to buy this game. Like me, I'm a baseball freak, when there were 4 games, out I'd buy 4. If 2k11 does at least one thing that's innovative/new, or that I liked in an older game, I'll probably buy it used later on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »