Home

EA Sports Signs Rhys Davies For Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters

This is a discussion on EA Sports Signs Rhys Davies For Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
EA Sports Signs Rhys Davies For Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters

Welsh Golfer to Wear EA SPORTS Branding Throughout 2011 Season and Makes Debut in Video Game

Guildford, UK. – January 18, 2011 – Electronic Arts Inc., (NASDAQ: ERTS) announced the signing of Welsh golf pro Rhys Davies as the latest addition to the recently revealed Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 12: The Masters®. Rhys will become a brand ambassador for EA SPORTS™ and the golfing franchise and, as part of the deal, wear the famous logo on his shirt in all competitions throughout the year – the first time EA SPORTS has sponsored a golfer on the European Tour.

“We’re extremely excited to be partnering with Rhys Davies. He had an exceptional rookie year on the European Tour in 2010 and is sure to achieve even greater success in 2011,” said Shaun White – Senior PR Manager EA SPORTS. ”We will work with Rhys on several initiatives during the season and give gamers an insight into the life of a tour professional.”

“I’m delighted to be appearing in the new game and especially proud to be the first European Tour golf brand ambassador for EA SPORTS,” said Rhys Davies. “It’s every golfer’s dream to be immortalized in a video game and I can’t wait to compete against my virtual character.” said Davies. “As a tour professional, I am privileged to experience some of the world’s best golf courses, many of which are featured in the game. I look forward to getting some vital practice on these courses in the game before tackling them for real!”

Davies’ successful 2010 rookie campaign featured his maiden European Tour victory at the Tropheé Hassan II in Morocco. The 25-year-old from Bridgend added three runner-up finishes and ended the season ranked 18thin the Race to Dubai. Davies’ decorated resume also includes two victories on the European Challenge Tour in 2009 and runner-up finishes on the Asian Tour in 2008 and 2009. He has been praised by his peers as one of the tour’s best putters, generating enthusiasm for the future of one of the rising stars of European golf.

For the first time ever, gamers can step onto the hallowed grounds of Augusta National and experience the rich history and tradition of the Masters Tournament and begin their own journey to capture the most sought-after prize in professional golf – the Green Jacket. Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12 also features several renowned Championship courses including Royal Melbourne Golf Club (Australia), TPC San Antonio, St Andrews Links and Pebble Beach Golf Links.

The Masters editionwill go on sale in Europe on April 1, available on the Wii™, Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3, with support of the PlayStation® Move controller. The Masters and five additional courses will also be included in the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 12 Collector’s Edition, developed exclusively for Sony PlayStation®3.

This year marks the 20thanniversary of a long-standing partnership between EA SPORTS and the PGA TOUR. Over the past two decades, EA SPORTS has introduced a series of immersive and authentic golf experiences across a variety of game platforms that has helped expand the popularity of the sport amongst fans. EA SPORTS growing golf portfolio includes the award-winning Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® franchise, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Online and the recently announced EA SPORTS PGA TOUR® Golf Challenge for Facebook.

To see additional information regarding Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 12: The Masters, log on to http://www.easports.com/golf.
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: EA Sports Signs Rhys Davies For Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters

Does this announcement move the meter for anyone? While I think it's nice to have rising stars in the game, it doesn't speak to the festering, core game-play issues that repeatedly plague this game. I'd like to know more about what they've done with the swing mechanic, especially using the Move in the new "Tournament" difficulty mode, or how they've implemented True View for the PS3 and possibly (hopefully) the 360.

Then again, this fits EA Sports pattern of spoon feeding the features of the forthcoming game in phases, with the most superficial doses coming first.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
Does this announcement move the meter for anyone? While I think it's nice to have rising stars in the game, it doesn't speak to the festering, core game-play issues that repeatedly plague this game. I'd like to know more about what they've done with the swing mechanic, especially using the Move in the new "Tournament" difficulty mode, or how they've implemented True View for the PS3 and possibly (hopefully) the 360.

Then again, this fits EA Sports pattern of spoon feeding the features of the forthcoming game in phases, with the most superficial doses coming first.
This is my biggest fear. With all this talk about Augusta, new golfers and caddies giving advice yet there hasn't been really anything heard about swing improvements or specific career mode enhancements other than there is now tiers.

Well to me Augusta is great but that will get old after a week. It's an add on not a core gameplay improvement. The great thing about the Masters in real life is the presentation and from what I've seen of videos of devs playing Augusta in career mode is that it looks like you're playing any other course except with the Masters insignia between shots and the presentation is exactly the same as last year ie: incredibly stale. The commentary sounds exactly the same, just different voices and the caddies I know I will turn off after 10 minutes so that's a useless option for me.

If the career mode is like last year except after awhile you go from amateur to nationwide then to the PGA tour then count me out. That's simply the same as last year and is so generic it's mind numbing. They need to add spice, color and some depth to it and give you a reason to play it like any franchise mode in other sports games.

I don't hold out much hope though since they are rushing this out to coincide with the Masters so that's what they're hanging thier hat on this year and it will probably work out for them in sales, not so much for sim gamers though. The TW franchise goes at a snail's pace in getting real sim improvements done. Look how long it took them just to have a real putting mechanic and DLC courses in career mode. Those should be minor changes not major ones that take years to implement.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:12 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
/SNIP/
Do you ever post such criticisms on the EA Tiger forums? If not, you might as well not waste your time posting here. The TW Devs HAVE shown that they DO listen to what is posted on the EA Tiger forums. Posting here is all fine and good, but if you truly want to get the TW Devs attention, post your comments on their forums and they will consider your feedback as those are the forums they rely on primarily for TW feedback.....
Old 01-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Do you ever post such criticisms on the EA Tiger forums? If not, you might as well not waste your time posting here. The TW Devs HAVE shown that they DO listen to what is posted on the EA Tiger forums. Posting here is all fine and good, but if you truly want to get the TW Devs attention, post your comments on their forums and they will consider your feedback as those are the forums they rely on primarily for TW feedback.....

agreed Divot
in any event, he could try saying something positive too. lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 24

I have posted there and nothing has come of it. And I've read countless threads over the years about complaints of rubberband AI and lack of DLC in career mode and it took them several years to fix so someone is not listening very well. And then they wonder why sales were going down every year.

Not to mention if the TW devs need to be told that the career mode and commentary is anemic and needs a dramatic overhaul and don't realize it themselves after so many years of putting out the game annually then I guess that's the problem right there. (ie: they really need new developers.)

Adding a long awaited course and changing the announcer is something I don't consider as a major change. That's more like TW 11.5. I loved True Aim last year but you need to keep that kind of innovation going and not just go back to making cosmetic changes.

This is one game that I would really support with a 2 year release cycle where they could take thier time to get things done right.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
I have posted there and nothing has come of it. And I've read countless threads over the years about complaints of rubberband AI and lack of DLC in career mode and it took them several years to fix so someone is not listening very well. And then they wonder why sales were going down every year.

Not to mention if the TW devs need to be told that the career mode and commentary is anemic and needs a dramatic overhaul and don't realize it themselves after so many years of putting out the game annually then I guess that's the problem right there. (ie: they really need new developers.)

Adding a long awaited course and changing the announcer is something I don't consider as a major change. That's more like TW 11.5. I loved True Aim last year but you need to keep that kind of innovation going and not just go back to making cosmetic changes.

This is one game that I would really support with a 2 year release cycle where they could take thier time to get things done right.
Really? What is your username there as you don't use this one there.

You act as if these changes are as simple as flipping a switch. It is nowhere near as easy as you imply, but I am not going to bother trying to explain it to you since you have a serious TW Dev hate going on.

And TW will never be on a 2 year release cycle. Licensing with Tiger as well as EA Sports' season release strategy won't allow this to happen. That and EA shareholders as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »