Home

MLB 2K11 Preview (New York Post)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 Preview (New York Post) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #17
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Another MLB 2K11 Preview

That preview made it sound like a pitcher will have different confidence levels for each pitch rather than an overall confidence level. I would definitely prefer this if true.

The comment on fielding actually shed a little more light than the other previews. Not only is a bad fielder's ball indicator larger, it shows up later as well. I like this idea.

And I do like the comment that the camera angle is pulled back more after the hit. I hope there is more than one option on defense but if it is zoomed out more to allow us to track the ball like the 2K9 camera I would be really happy.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
That preview made it sound like a pitcher will have different confidence levels for each pitch rather than an overall confidence level. I would definitely prefer this if true.
One of the things I really miss from 2K8 was how different pitches could go up or down in rating depending on how well you nailed your payoff pitches. It would be cool if a variation on that comes back. It doesn't even need the whole Payoff Pitch metagame.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #19
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker
One of the things I really miss from 2K8 was how different pitches could go up or down in rating depending on how well you nailed your payoff pitches. It would be cool if a variation on that comes back. It doesn't even need the whole Payoff Pitch metagame.
I had read that pitching in 2K8 was more difficult but 2K10 was the first time I went with 2K. What was the payoff pitch? Was there a third step in the process or something?

I think 2K needs to improve the difference between a pitcher's best pitch and worst pitch. Last year I could throw almost any pitch I wanted to without a big difference regardless of the rating.

Last edited by rudyjuly2; 01-25-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 3
The thing about 2k that stands out the most to me is the size of the ballparks. They look accurately sized as compared to an MLB the show or Madden stadiums which look like miniatures.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #21
Banned

Quote:
I had read that pitching in 2K8 was more difficult but 2K10 was the first time I went with 2K. What was the payoff pitch? Was there a third step in the process or something?

I think 2K needs to improve the difference between a pitcher's best pitch and worst pitch. Last year I could throw almost any pitch I wanted to without a big difference regardless of the rating.
Well If I remember it right after a while you get the pay off pitch which you need to execute in specific location and if you get it right plus the perfect motion you stat for that pitch increases....Also you could build your stamina this way......That was a solid concept but it destroyed the game in my opinion .....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #22
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

Payoff pitching was a little mini game within the game in which you could boost the rating of your pitches. Certain pitches, that were deemed more important, were "payoff pitches" (Strike out situations, pitching out of jams, etc.). By hitting the catchers spot with the chosen pitch in these situations, you received a boost in that pitches rating.

2K8 also involved a three step pitching process. In doing this you were able to control the power/effort, the quality and the location of the pitch by performing all three parts.

The difference to the current system is that you had to time the release of the stick after the movement with an on-screen graphic.

So for a fastball, it would be 1) Pull Back to desired effort then 2) Press forward and hold as the meter shrunk towards the center and then 3) let go as it was as close to center as possible.

It was a thing of beauty that only needed to be fine tuned, but instead, they scrapped it.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #23
Banned

Re: MLB 2K11 Preview (New York Post)

Yep, the three step pitching was so great. But when you fouled it up, you got a message that sad meatball, and you served up an easy to hit pitch.

Gamers new to the controls freaked out every time they gave up a home run and blew a gasket about how hard it was. Instead of just eliminating the meatball, and letting the missed gestures affect location and speed, VC came in and made pitching easy peazy.

The payoff pitch was optional. You never had to accept the challenge. But what I found that forcing yourself to nail whatever pitch was called, in the location it was called for a great challenge (of course it wouldn't be anymore). So if your curveball was rated 79, and you hit the payoff pitch, it would jump to 80. If you missed the spot, but still threw a strike, there was no damage. But if you threw a ball, you would lose all of your progress.

So late in a game, with some of your pitches boosted, it would be kind of nerve racking to have to nail a pitch, knowing you could lose it. It wasn't totally realistic, but it was a great way to force you to learn execution.

I can live without the minigame aspect, but variable ratings throughout a game based on confidence with different pitches tended to really make each game different. But I really miss that three step pitching.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:57 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipR24
The thing about 2k that stands out the most to me is the size of the ballparks. They look accurately sized as compared to an MLB the show or Madden stadiums which look like miniatures.
The shows stadiums are way better looking than this game the size in The Show is as accurate as it gets

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »