Home

MLB 2K11 Preview (New York Post)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 Preview (New York Post) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #25
Rookie

foofighter2455's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Another MLB 2K11 Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
Payoff pitching was a little mini game within the game in which you could boost the rating of your pitches. Certain pitches, that were deemed more important, were "payoff pitches" (Strike out situations, pitching out of jams, etc.). By hitting the catchers spot with the chosen pitch in these situations, you received a boost in that pitches rating.

2K8 also involved a three step pitching process. In doing this you were able to control the power/effort, the quality and the location of the pitch by performing all three parts.

The difference to the current system is that you had to time the release of the stick after the movement with an on-screen graphic.

So for a fastball, it would be 1) Pull Back to desired effort then 2) Press forward and hold as the meter shrunk towards the center and then 3) let go as it was as close to center as possible.

It was a thing of beauty that only needed to be fine tuned, but instead, they scrapped it.

Cosign, the deepest pitching system I've played with in any game. I was sad they nerfed it down for the masses in future versions.

If a game combined that pitching with MVP NCAA 06's hitting, I'd be in paradise. The hitting in that game felt so organic on the left stick while the most recent 2K games still feel like the hit location and timing is predetermined sometimes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
For all the flak 2k8 got it did some things very well & the 3 step process for pitching was definitely 1 of them

Sent from my FRESH EVO 3.5 via tapatalk
Old 01-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #27
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: MLB 2K11 Preview (New York Post)

2k8 wasn't that bad, I would've enjoyed it if had 2k9's gameplay. It WAS a hard mechanic, but since everything turned into just a meatball. I liked NOT picking the button to pitch...and if you missed, it was like losing your grip, and you threw something off...(problem was mistakes were in the middle of the plate)
Old 01-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #28
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
2k8 wasn't that bad, I would've enjoyed it if had 2k9's gameplay. It WAS a hard mechanic, but since everything turned into just a meatball. I liked NOT picking the button to pitch...and if you missed, it was like losing your grip, and you threw something off...(problem was mistakes were in the middle of the plate)
The meatball was really the only issue. If they had put logic into how the stick movement impacted the outcome of the pitch (as they did in 2K9 and 2K10) instead of making it completely random, it would have been a beautiful system.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipR24
The thing about 2k that stands out the most to me is the size of the ballparks. They look accurately sized as compared to an MLB the show or Madden stadiums which look like miniatures.
* shakes head *

Really ? Tell me more.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »