Home

Fight Night Champion: A Puncher's Chance (IGN)

This is a discussion on Fight Night Champion: A Puncher's Chance (IGN) within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Fight Night Champion: A Puncher's Chance (IGN)

IGN has just posted another Fight Night Champion article. Hilary Goldstein tries to get greedy and pays the price.

Quote:
"Hearing the warning bell, which signaled only 10 seconds left in the round, I should have tightened up, held down the block button, backed away and awaited victory. But I wanted to make Cotto bleed a little more. I came in swinging and as my left cross missed, Cotto unleashed one last powerful punch that managed to strike me square on the temple. Pacquiao hit the mat like he'd just discovered gravity. There was no 10-count. He was out in a flash. KO'd. Fight over with two seconds left."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Fight Night Champion: A Puncher's Chance (IGN)

Thanks for the link Steve_OS. I'm a little concerned about there being too many 1 punch knockouts, but I'm sure a patch will be released if there is a problem.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #3

OVR: 34

Thanks for the article link.

The writer mentions that one punch knockouts are good if they are not as often (like real boxing). He then says he saw 3 in 1 hour of playing so it's "worrisome."

However, he prefaces all of that with how he went 3 rounds, heard the final 10 sec warning bell, and even though he won all 3 rounds, decided to try and bloody up his opponent more. he missed a punch and got KO'd.

That's what you get. If you play around, you should get penalized. I sure hope people don't freak out because they are making dumb decisions and getting KO'd.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

They said they can tune stuff without a patch so we will have to wait and see. I don't want to become victim of those who spam punches, then they complain that they are getting knocked out cause they are throwing too many punches and getting their boxer tired.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 18

I'm afraid the real boxing fans are outnumbered, and the game will eventually get patched to be casual friendly (1000 punches no consequence). I will wait a while before I purchase this, because I am concerned everything sim about the game will be patched towards casual gamers who don't know a jab from a hook.

Usually I buy boxing games without even reading a single impression, but I just can't throw 60 around anymore.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
I'm afraid the real boxing fans are outnumbered, and the game will eventually get patched to be casual friendly (1000 punches no consequence). I will wait a while before I purchase this, because I am concerned everything sim about the game will be patched towards casual gamers who don't know a jab from a hook.

Usually I buy boxing games without even reading a single impression, but I just can't throw 60 around anymore.
Agreed. This is exactly what happened to FNR4. People found exploits and balance issues so a patch was released. It changed the game quite a bit, yet few will agree. I'm still getting this game day one, but then again Boxing games are the only reason I own a game system. Well that and now NBA2K11. I understand it to a point. In the end it's about making money. They will sell more copies to the casual fan then the hardcore. Like you said sausage, we are outnumbered. We just have to take what we can get I suppose.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage

I doubt it Sausage. They went to too much trouble with their stamina system to do a 180.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:22 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

I can see it now, the 13 year olds swinging wildly will start crying about being 1 punch KO'd. A patch will come and we'll be back to knockdowns by attrition and it will take a minimum of 3 knockdowns to be out.

They screwed up the mobile AI qb's in NCAA with patches, they find a way to "fix" too many 1 punch KO's too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »