Home

Fight Night Champion Demo Available Now, Post Impressions Here (360, PS3)

This is a discussion on Fight Night Champion Demo Available Now, Post Impressions Here (360, PS3) within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2011, 05:39 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Fight Night Champion Demo Available Now, Post Impressions Here (360, PS3)

The Fight Night Champion demo is available now for the 360 and later tonight (roughly 9 P.M. EST) for the PS3. Please post your impressions here.
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Fight Night Champion Demo Available Now, Post Impressions Here (360)

I have only done two matches so far, one with each selection of fighters and here are my very early impressions.

Great graphics, I mean this game really looks good and I mean really good.

Commentary is stale and the same old thing, absolutely nothing exciting in this department.

I may be in the minority here and I probable am but I don't like the new controls. To me it just seems like button mashing, even with the sticks. I also do not like the automatic defence, I would much rather have to move the sticks to block high or low.

I think the stamina needs a tweek or two to. In both fights there just seemed to be no strategy, they were just slugest brawls. I tried to slow it down and actually use some style and just got pounded. I threw over 400 pucnches in one bout and was barely gassed.

Now I am sure this is an early build and maybe I am just off the mark. I am sure a lot of you spend more time with this game then I do, but it just isn't working for me right now. I have it pre-ordered and will keep it on order but with hopes that it will be better. In my opinion it should be re-named Fight Night Champions Arcade.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
Rookie

Illcat's Arena

OVR: 3

Played two matches before work this morning:

I like:

As I am sure most will; the snap in the punches. When you throw and land now you can see the affect of the punches. Heads jolt back and sideways beautifully.

The player models are freakin stunning! I watched the youtube videos but seeing the game in person is awesome. The in between round close-ups are spot on, at least with Cotto and Manny.

I only played with Manny but his movement seemed pretty swift compared to Cotto. I could get in and out with ease and, his lean was quite agile as well.

I don't like:

The same old commentary from last year, adds nothing to the game. I know in the final product they go more in depth but EA just needs to work more on their in game commentary across the board. It's just too repetitive after a few games and not very specific to the fight you're seeing.

I don't really see how the new full spectrum punching is so innovative. It seems like I am more in control versus last year but that's it. I dunno, it just didn't blow me away.

As far as the stamina and stuff like that goes yeah, it's off but it is just the demo. Plus, I feel like stuff like that can be adjusted with slider tweaks once we get the game.

On the other side of the puncher's snap, when they get jolted back they just reset too quickly. The fighters never really seem affected by big punches, unless they get stunned. I made Cotto step back a few times but you never see a guy wobble or get weak in the legs after a barrage. All you have is that sound and if he steps back. There should be more visual ques that a guy is struggling to stay on his feet.

So, all in all, I had fun with it the little time I had. I also only played with one fighter so I have yet to get the chance to see how different the heavier guys are or, Cotto to Manny for that matter so, my impressions are limited. But, I cannot express enough how the fighter models may be the best models I have seen in any game. I'll still be looking forward to picking this one up at the end of the month.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Fight Night Champion Demo Available Now, Post Impressions Here (360) PS3 Tonight

Illcat, it sounds like a good snapping jab does have effect this year. Will it keep the CPU off of you? Can you work off the jab more than FNrd4?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
Rookie

Illcat's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Fight Night Champion Demo Available Now, Post Impressions Here (360) PS3 Tonight

I was all over the place trying to get the punching/blocking/leaning down. I did see in the youtube vids where Ali was easily keeping Tyson at bay with his reach and stellar jab. So yeah, I've seen it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 18

After several matches on and offline:

*The way the boxers slide forward while punching reminds of FNR2, which to often leads the boxers into each other for toe to toe brawls.

*Punches are quicker, but as been stated lacks snap.

*I like the return of punch modifier from past knockout kings

*In fighting has been improved, but needs a little more ugly because when boxers get real close they get tangled and clinch more often then not

*Good to see ref, stays out of the way for the most part. Could use more ref like animations.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 18

What I have noticed from all the decision victories. Judges 1 and 3 gives the round to whomever lands the most shots, and they don't care how many shots are missed. Judge 2 prefers clean effective punching.

For example in my previous fight Cotto (me) vs Pacman (random)

Round 2 I landed 53 of 68 and my opponent 57 of 89
Round 3 I landed 58 of 72 and my opponent 63 of 93

Judge 2 gave me those rounds and Judge 1 and 3 my opponent. My opponent and I were landing similar shots throughout.

If I am correct it is similar in FNR4 as well. What is your opinion on how those rounds should be scored.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 7

Love the demo!

PROS

-I like Full Spectrum Punch Control, its a mixture of analog and button pushing, this combination enables you to throw the punches you want when you want, its much easier to throw a cross now, I jab with the analog, and throw a cross using the buttons.

- The new camera, love it! You're not locked in to the same angle the entire match, you get refreshing looks at the boxers, enhancing the graphics.

-The punching, I love the speed, fluidness, and power of the punches, and each fighter punches different.

-The graphics, do I need to say more!

There is a lot more I like too, but here are the main ones.

CONS

-Commentary sucks

-No presentation improvements, I want to see the boxers climb in the ring, see there robes taken off, talk trash to each other, post fight interviews.

-The fighters are silent

In the next game, presentation should be the number one priority.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »