Home

MLB 2K11 Developer Diary: Dynamic Player Ratings with New Trailer

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 Developer Diary: Dynamic Player Ratings with New Trailer within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: MLB 2K11 Developer Diary: Dynamic Player Ratings, Presentation and More

After reading the blog, one of the things that I am excited about amongst others is that it sounds like you will actually need to use strategy when in the offseason when talking about your roster. It sounds like as players get older they will be on a lot of cold streaks which will force you to make a decision on their trade value and value to the team. It finally adds some roster strategy to the game, rather than just keeping your roster the same until your players retire.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #18
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32
So, let me get this straight.

When you are playing in Franchise (Not MLB Today) will there be streaks still. Does the game have 'built in' knowledge that some players start off slow and heat up later or...?
Old 02-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #19
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
So, let me get this straight.

When you are playing in Franchise (Not MLB Today) will there be streaks still. Does the game have 'built in' knowledge that some players start off slow and heat up later or...?
It's like this. Last year, sometimes you'd have a guy that usually hits like .330 end up hitting just .279. Basically this system would take into account that that batter is struggling and his ratings would be reduced.

My question is this. Does this really impact the game that much, or does it just look good? If I'm Prince Fielder and I'm a great power hitter but lately I haven't been driving the ball and my Power ratings dip into the 60's for example, how does that guy ever break out of that slump? I'm a little skeptical because it almost seems like the ratings don't really mean anything if a guy with 50 contact and 60 power can all of a sudden start killing the ball and have his power bump up into the 80's.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 02-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #20
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Sounds good. Looks like they have taken steps to prevent this from having random, huge swings and I like the fact that you have to fight through a slump to get hot...it just doesn't automatically turn off or on.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #21
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

I wonder if the DPR will affect fielding as well. For example Jeter has a bad couple of weeks fielding the ball suffering a rash of errors. Will that rating decrease as well?
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
Sounds good. Looks like they have taken steps to prevent this from having random, huge swings and I like the fact that you have to fight through a slump to get hot...it just doesn't automatically turn off or on.

the bolded times 10!

should make for a fun long summer stretch of games in franchise!

But, I do have concerns as mentioned by THAT GUY.

hopefully those questions can get answered before release day.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 0

Since my primary mode of play last year, and what I'm looking forward to this year is MLB Today, this is frickin' amazingly great news. It was the one real weakness in MLB Today. this was highlighted when trying to play out games down the stretch.

I'm still iffy on having this as part of a season mode. While Trevy is right, that it will be fun trying to break out of a slump, it might get annoying to easily maintain a hot streak all season with too many players. I'm not convinced this is going to work as well as we would like it to.

When they go into franchise play, I'm hope, hope, hoping that we will have a mode in MLB Today that allows the stats we produce in our games to replace the stats in the real games. So instead of referencing the real game from the night before, it will be referencing what I did.

If in real life my Cardinals are shut out, but in my version, I put up six runs on the starter, I'd like to see that opposing pitcher's stats affected, as well. But for every game I don't play, then use the real life stats.

Of course, that would just be a franchise mode within MLB Today. I'd also want to keep the ability to play games based entirely on real life stats (and now ratings!).

Another thing I noticed was the change in perspective in the screenshots based on if the game was played in SF or Milwaukee. I think that is really going to be a nice feature.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
I wonder if the DPR will affect fielding as well. For example Jeter has a bad couple of weeks fielding the ball suffering a rash of errors. Will that rating decrease as well?

good question Ninja!
I can only imagine Jeter getting 'Knoblauched' and costing the Yankees a wild card berth!
lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »