Home

MLB 2K11 Interview: New Pitch Introduced - Split-Finger Changeup

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 Interview: New Pitch Introduced - Split-Finger Changeup within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
MLB 2K11 Interview: New Pitch Introduced - Split-Finger Changeup

Jon Robinson caught up with Roy Halladay, as they discuss the new split-finger changeup, which he helped add this year to MLB 2K11.

Quote:
Jon Robinson: Do you have any advice for people who are pitching as you in the video game? How do limit the amount of hits you give up?

Roy Halladay: I think in a lot of respects, the video game can be really similar to what I do in real life. What I learned from playing against my son is that you can't throw the same pitch over and over or you pay for it. You have to move the ball around, you have to change speeds, and you have to make good pitches. That's what pitching is all about, whether you're playing the game or you're out there on the mound for real.

And that's what I really like about this game. With the pitching controls, you actually need to make different movements for each pitch, so it's not just about pressing a button and watching as it hits the spot perfectly. The pitching in this game is definitely more challenging. You actually need to spend some time practicing the movements in order to get them down correctly. Then add the pressure of trying to throw the perfect pitch with all that money on the line and I think you're going to have a lot of people sweating it out in their living rooms. 2K Sports has made so many great strides this year with the game and everything is so involved, and the great thing is, I was able to sit down with them and give them my input into what Major League players think and different things pitchers might do during the game. To see that all incorporated into the game is great.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS2 / PS3 / Wii / PSP / NDS / PC
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Roy Halladay talks 'MLB 2K11,' perfect games, and pitching for a million bucks

Quote:
I think in a lot of respects, the video game can be really similar to what I do in real life. What I learned from playing against my son is that you can't throw the same pitch over and over or you pay for it. You have to move the ball around, you have to change speeds, and you have to make good pitches. That's what pitching is all about, whether you're playing the game or you're out there on the mound for real.
I hope this ends up being the case this year. I know there were sometimes last year where I felt with the right accuracy I could pitch anywhere and pretty much yield random results.

I wonder how the split-finger changeup is going to be in the game. Should be sweet!
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 02-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Roy Halladay talks 'MLB 2K11,' perfect games, and pitching for a million bucks

Really like this piece of info...

Quote:
Halladay emphasizes pitch count in everything he does, so he was like, "Guys, you have to show pitch count in the game."

"So we threw out all the arbitrary video game terms like stamina and energy. Now if you pause it, we show you that pitch count. The manager tells you the range he wants you to throw, and while you don't have to listen to that advice, if you don't follow it, you're going to have a lot of tired arms in franchise."
Old 02-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0

I really like that, as long as accuracy has been toned down enough that the back of your rotation takes more pitches to get guys out than the front of your rotation.

Otherwise, decreasing stamina by the number of batters faced is just going to yield more reasonable results.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 13
Ah, no spitball! haha Interesting feature.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 8
I feel like having everything revolve around pitch count is going to lead to a lot of complete games. I have never had a pitch count for my pitcher of more than 80 or so...and the computer never throws more than 70-75
Old 02-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 2K11 Interview: New Pitch Introduced - Split-Finger Changeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxseed Oil
I feel like having everything revolve around pitch count is going to lead to a lot of complete games. I have never had a pitch count for my pitcher of more than 80 or so...and the computer never throws more than 70-75
That's why we need the accuracy to be toned down.

But I had no problem forcing the to CPU to throw more pitches. The CPU threw plenty of balls last year if you took the time to take pitches. If you want to wear a pitcher down, it's going to take work on your part to do it.

As I've talked about before, I limited my use of the power swing to 2-0 and 3-1 counts. This provided the carrot I needed to be more patient in my plate appearances, as I was trying to work the counts. That means taking a strike early in the count if it is not the right pitch.

Pretty soon I was learning to avoid those early count curve balls, and pretty much anything low, even if they were strikes. That led to drawing walks and higher pitch counts for the CPU.

The only way I could have realistic pitch counts when I was pitching was to force myself to aim for the target only. If it was outside the strike zone, I went outside the strike zone, even with three balls in the count. It was not as compelling as trying to hit corners and missing, but it also led to a lot more pitches.

So if they got the accuracy right, I will be very pleased. And as long as the CPU pitches as it did last year, I think it will be fine.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: MLB 2K11 Interview: New Pitch Introduced - Split-Finger Changeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxseed Oil
Yeah, that's a concern I would have as well. If it's not tuned right (and it hasn't been to this point for the user, at least...CPU count got better in 2K10 though) then it could be an issue. I'm hoping that stamina is still involved, but just behind the scene. In other words, the user doesn't pay attention to stamina directly, but the game still does. If it's that way, I REALLY like it.

Still, potential concerns aside, I am really liking all of the little details that are starting to surface about the game. None of them sound cheesy or far-fetched and all seem to play into making a more realistic experience. Hopefully it is executed well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »