Home

MLB 2K11 Interview: New Pitch Introduced - Split-Finger Changeup

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 Interview: New Pitch Introduced - Split-Finger Changeup within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 2K11 Interview: New Pitch Introduced - Split-Finger Changeup

Did they really talk about the perfect game again?Really????!!!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Guys, this is most likely only a visual/display change:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
"Halladay and Tim Lincecum own the league with the split-finger changeup, and Halladay helped us with the break and how it works," explains "MLB 2K11" designer Sean Bailey. "He also explained how he pitches to contact every single pitch. He and (Phillies catcher) Carlos Ruiz memorize the blue zones of the Inside Edge scouting that we actually use in the game for every batter. He tries to throw a strike at their blue zone to get them to swing in order to keep his pitch count low. Halladay emphasizes pitch count in everything he does, so he was like, 'Guys, you have to show pitch count in the game.'

"So we threw out all the arbitrary video game terms like stamina and energy. Now if you pause it, we show you that pitch count. The manager tells you the range he wants you to throw, and while you don't have to listen to that advice, if you don't follow it, you're going to have a lot of tired arms in franchise."

It doesn't say they removed energy/stamina completely. It just says they removed those terms from the pause menu. I'm pretty sure stamina is still involved behind the scenes, but all the user can see is the pitch count, just like in real life.

Sounds good to me.

Last edited by jeffy777; 02-08-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
It doesn't say they removed energy/stamina completely. It just says they removed those terms from the pause menu. I'm pretty sure stamina is still involved behind the scenes, but all the user can see is the pitch count, just like in real life.

Sounds good to me.
That's what I was thinking as well, but I've also learned not to assume either way lest I be disappointed...a healthy skepticism doesn't hurt...lol.

Jokes aside, I personally don't see how it could be worse than the way it was at least. In practice, doesn't it kind of work the same way? My starter's rarely fatigued enough in 2K10 to matter once I got the gestures down. I mean, stamina and pitch count were already linked, so how it's presented should (in theory) just make for a more strategic approach for the user.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #12
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
That's what I was thinking as well, but I've also learned not to assume either way lest I be disappointed...a healthy skepticism doesn't hurt...lol.

Jokes aside, I personally don't see how it could be worse than the way it was at least. In practice, doesn't it kind of work the same way? My starter's rarely fatigued enough in 2K10 to matter once I got the gestures down. I mean, stamina and pitch count were already linked, so how it's presented should (in theory) just make for a more strategic approach for the user.
Yeah, stamina and pitch count have always been linked anyway. In fact, in 2K10, I think pitch count was really the ONLY thing that affected your pitcher's stamina.

So it sounds to me like this is just a visual change, and probably nothing more. I'm glad to hear that the pitch count is always going to be accessible, because there were times when I wanted to see it last year, but it only displayed when a new batter stepped into the box.

Last edited by jeffy777; 02-08-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #13
Pro

humaca80's Arena

OVR: 13
Does 2k have a good slider set? I remember last years "The Show", there were adjustable sliders to enable the CPU to throw more balls. This is a "must have" for baseball titles.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #14
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by humaca80
Does 2k have a good slider set? I remember last years "The Show", there were adjustable sliders to enable the CPU to throw more balls. This is a "must have" for baseball titles.
Plenty of sliders. Last year, the CPU pitch count trended more towards realism (You could get the CPU to throw more balls)...it is user pitching accuracy that remained an issue.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by humaca80
I was able to adjust for balls and strikes out of the CPU pretty well. I could crank it up so that the the CPU would walk way too many, or none at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #16
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Glad they finally added pitch count all the time. I know they said they made pitch accuracy harder but if they don't add a slider for that I will be pissed. So far so good though. Hopefully we'll get a deeper feature list soon.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »