Home

RUMOR: Activision Eyeing Takeover Bid of Take Two

This is a discussion on RUMOR: Activision Eyeing Takeover Bid of Take Two within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: RUMOR: Activision Eyeing Takeover Bid of Take Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit_bubble
What sports game could Activision make that would bring in money? Football? Nope, EA has that market. Baseball? Nope, 2K has that. Basketball? I guess they could make an NBA game, but since when has Activision done that? They'd be fighting an uphill battle. Soccer? Same thing as basketball. Hockey? You get the picture: the sports game market is intimately tied into licensing and the popularity of the sport. There's just really not much they can do.

An acquisition of TTWO would change things for them. They would be fools to mess with NBA 2K. MLB? Who knows... Maybe they'd make changes for the better, or maybe they simply let the licensing agreement expire and let another company *cough EA* have a go at it. Considering Activision's recent philosophy of scrapping titles not pulling their own weight, that just might be a possibility.

Landscapes are always changing. I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Umm.. I don't think you understood what Chris was trying to say.. I think he already KNOWS what games they can or cannot make, since he is a featured writer and contributor to this site. What he was saying was if 2k gets taken over along with TT, will Activision go full throttle into the sports game genre since they have a proven developer in that area now under their umbrella or will they just shut down the developer altogether and see sports games as nothing but an expensive risk (I personally if this is the philosophy of the company, would like to see them SELL the developer rather than shut it down....)

ben
voodoo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2011, 12:43 AM   #26
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyvoodoo
Umm.. I don't think you understood what Chris was trying to say..

He wrote:

"...Activision has the resources to develop sports games and chooses not to for the most part..."

And so I merely pointed out that why would they even try when there's very little chance for them to make money doing so...

And then I speculated that the situation would be different if they do indeed acquire TTWO, saying they would be foolish to do anything differently with NBA 2K... And that MLB might be a different story considering their track record of giving the ax to franchises that drag them down.

It's all there, right there in my post. Check again if you want.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:32 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 12

I was mainly commenting on this part of your post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit_bubble
What sports game could Activision make that would bring in money? Football? Nope, EA has that market. Baseball? Nope, 2K has that. Basketball? I guess they could make an NBA game, but since when has Activision done that? They'd be fighting an uphill battle. Soccer? Same thing as basketball. Hockey? You get the picture: the sports game market is intimately tied into licensing and the popularity of the sport. There's just really not much they can do.
Since none of us can predict the future, how do you, me or anybody else know what Activision' plans are so to say they can't make any money in the sports genre is a little naive don't you think?? I mean EA is NOT setting the world of sports games on fire with their OWN titles...
Wonder if Activision wants 2k so they can build the biggest baddest football game come 2014??
Did you or anybody else receive confirmation if EA is gonna renew the NFL license??
Do you know something that the rest of us don't??
Wonder if Activision wants to get in the College business??
Activision can't make money?? What, they became the 2nd largest publisher by selling women's undergarments??
If they HAVE the licenses, and make the games that are head and shoulders better than EA titles in every way, you better believe there are gonna be gamers buying those games and guess what, they would make a lot of....MONEY!!!

You're right about games being closely tied to licensing, but how many gamers out there would even love to have a FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE unlicensed game that is, gameplay and presentation wise, head and shoulders above ANYTHING that's out now?? What I'm saying is license or no license, it can be done...

It can get better or worse.. simple as that... and we can't predict the future so we'll just have to wait and see....

ben
voodoo

Last edited by shyvoodoo; 02-13-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #28
Pro

OVR: 22
Bobby Kotick is a true ******* so this would be crap. He milks every franchise dry, like he destroyed Guitar hero for example by saturating the market. He has a locust mentally, and short term profit per share to the shareholders is his goal. In the industry he is known as a true *******.

That would be a shame, the only reason he hasnīt destoryed blizzard is that they are autonoumous and he can change **** on how they make their games. Activision is now a company that canīt create new franshises , only milk established ones and buy up and milk famous ones, Kotick is the reason and a true *******.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #29
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRome
Umm. 2K SPORTS SUCKS. They wasted their baseball license and NBA2k has gotten worse every year since 2k8. Online is just terrible for NBA2k11. I was hoping EA would take over 2k so at least I know the online part of the game would work. Which has had multiple problems since 2k8.
Way to ruin your credibility, crapping on the best sport frachise in history along with MLB the show.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #30
Pro

oh and I meant NBA2k and MLB the show.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:02 AM   #31
Pro

videlsports's Arena

OVR: 25
The merger would be great for resouces for take two to make games the way take two wants too,but it will cost them their integrity of their games with gimmicks, an eventually will lose out. Honestly I think Warner Bros would be a better Fit, the Have Mortal Kombat, and Batman Asylum. Adding a sports revenue would solidfy them as a power with all that 2k games brings.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 3
This merger is all about Grand Theft Auto and Rockstar. Not to take anything from 2k Sports, but Rockstar is an international goldmine. Activision has said that they have little interest in new projects that won't generate revenue, so why not use your WoW warchest and purchase the biggest / best franchise out there? Makes business sense, but I won't be surprised either if Rockstar tries for autonomy or self publishing. Take Two's financial statements are atrocious outside of GTA release years.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »