Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters - Career Mode Breakdown

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters - Career Mode Breakdown within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters - Career Mode Breakdown

ESPN's Jon Robinson breaks down the career mode in Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters.

Quote:
"One of the biggest problems I've always had playing through a career in any "Tiger" game is I never felt like I was working toward any type of goal that carried true meaning. It's not like "Madden" where I'm trying to get my team to the Super Bowl or "NBA 2K11" where I'm out to win the NBA championship. But now that EA Sports has signed an agreement with Augusta National Golf Club to finally include The Masters in "Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12," looks like I finally have that meaning I was looking for (besides, I always wanted a green jacket).

"You start out as an amateur qualifying at a local event," explains producer Scott Stutsman. "That gets you onto the Nationwide Tour, then after so long you go to Q-School in order to get your PGA Tour card."

Throughout the qualification process, your golfer is growing in abilities thanks to an increase in XP. You'll also see improvements thanks to the addition of caddies who will give you advice and help you master each course.

"It's a growth process you go through, season after season, year after year," explains Stutsman. "With the eventual goal to work your way up and play The Masters."
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
Far from perfect

The Bimmer's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters Career Mode Breakdown

No bums allowed at Augusta, now thats awesome. Sounds good, what I like as the article states, there is a goal to shoot for now.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters Career Mode Breakdown

This sounds pretty sweet. What about the rest of the tour? Do we get to play in other tournaments yearly?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:02 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters - Career Mode Breakdown

Yikes this is what I feared about career mode. In other words an authentic season mode is not in the game.

The reason career (or season) mode felt boring was the presentation was lacking. There was a goal just like any other sports game. In Madden you try and win the Superbowl title and in the PGA you arer supposed to win the Fedex cup which is supposed to be the title in golf. The career mode presentation was so cold and sterile that you felt uninvolved.

It looks like they are copying the Wii career mode. If that Nationwide tour goals are any indication it means that you win 2 tourneys or place in the top 5 etc.. and you advance. It should be like the real Nationwide tour. You play a full season and if you are in the top rung of golfers you go to qualifying and a chance to get to the PGA.

I fear it will be that once you get to the PGA tour then it will be more goals like win 3 tourneys or place in the top 5 a bunch of times and qualify for the Masters without really using the proper PGA criteria to get to the Masters. Whether it takes 10 years or 10 months to win those 3 tourneys it doesn't matter. Therefore the PGA season is not really reflected realistically in order to become the #1 golfer.

Then once you qualify for the Masters then it will be more goals like win the Masters (or finish in the top 5 three times) and one other tourney and place in the top 5 a bunch of times and congrats you're the #1 golfer. Career mode over. Or if you have one goal left in the last teir and it is to win the Masters to beocme #1 then you have no reason to go thru a season. You will just keep fast forwarding to the Masters every year to complete that last goal and ignore all the other Tourneys.

If you still feel like you're playing against a score sheet and are alone on the course without other golfers then it will still feel dull.

Last edited by Seymour Scagnetti; 02-15-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Rookie

GrandMaster B's Arena

OVR: 15
That can't be the case Seymour. They are allowing DLC to be implemented in your season. You play all of the other events as usual. In the real Nationwide Tour you just need 3 wins I believe to advance to the PGA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2
One problem I've had with the TW series is that eventually, I'll start getting -18 scores a round, while my competition gets -2 or -3. Will the competition play up to us? Or will it be harder and harder to rack up those unworldly scores? I shouldn't routinely be scoring in the 50s on the hardest difficulty.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
Far from perfect

The Bimmer's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters - Career Mode Breakdown

I kinda chuckle when so many say they shot -18, -26 in 1 round on the hardest difficulty. Simply DONT max out your golfer, play on Tour pro, true aim, and shut off the putting grid. You will not shot -18 in 1 round any more simple as that.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
Pro

globalbeats7's Arena

OVR: 5
i really hope there are camera improvements to TRUE AIM. there really is no other way to play the game, but the camera staying low and not moving when you hit the ball is frustrating.

and i agree with the post above. you CAN make the game harder, its just that people choose not to cuz they want to rip 450yd drives and shoot 57 in a round.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »