Home

EA/NFL Extend NFL Exclusive License by One Year to 2013

This is a discussion on EA/NFL Extend NFL Exclusive License by One Year to 2013 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #545
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: EA/NFL Extend NFL Exclusive License by One Year to 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I am referencing your numbers from a few pages back. They support what I'm saying. Sales are basically flat on HD consoles, yet the quality of Madden 11 is much higher than Madden 09.
That's actually a good point, looking at it again, the HD consoles combined have surpassed the numbers of the highly regarded PS2 versions, with far fewer consoles on the market. Sales leading up to 10/11 were caught up in the gradual death of the PS2 which was still selling over 1m copies until this year with the huge drop from 948k to 391k (so far).

PS2 topped out at 4.36m with Madden 05. Madden 10 on PS3/360 sold 5.44m copies in the last 70+ weeks, and 11 is sitting at 4.2m at 27 weeks.

Makes the move towards Facebook and microtransactions look a lot smarter if they think they're reaching market saturation. Get potentially more $$ per box, online pass and more DLC generates revenue from used sales that they got almost nothing from before.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2011, 01:56 AM   #546
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I am referencing your numbers from a few pages back. They support what I'm saying. Sales are basically flat on HD consoles, yet the quality of Madden 11 is much higher than Madden 09.
Valid point, although the continued downturn in the economy may have been a factor as well.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #547
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

Just saw this news. Very disappointed but kind of expected. It shows how eager the NFL are to keep this exclusive license. You don't do this for a company unless you see a long future working together. Expect when the CBA is sorted another long term deal to be agreed between the NFL and EA.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #548
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
That's actually a good point, looking at it again, the HD consoles combined have surpassed the numbers of the highly regarded PS2 versions, with far fewer consoles on the market. Sales leading up to 10/11 were caught up in the gradual death of the PS2 which was still selling over 1m copies until this year with the huge drop from 948k to 391k (so far).

PS2 topped out at 4.36m with Madden 05. Madden 10 on PS3/360 sold 5.44m copies in the last 70+ weeks, and 11 is sitting at 4.2m at 27 weeks.

Makes the move towards Facebook and microtransactions look a lot smarter if they think they're reaching market saturation. Get potentially more $$ per box, online pass and more DLC generates revenue from used sales that they got almost nothing from before.

Is there any particular reason why you are only comparing PS3 and 360 numbers to just the Madden 05 PS2 numbers, instead of PS3/360 numbers to Madden 05 PS2/XBOX numbers?
Old 02-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #549
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_president
i will contend that running the ball in madden can be fun, but for me it does not offer the best experience. the suction,teleporting and line interaction seems to always find a way ruin it for me.
Tell me about it.

I didn't get M11, but in M10 most of my time trying to figure out sliders was to get the run game to play out realistically without all of this and make player abilities stand out.

I gave up.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #550
Rookie

OVR: 5

Pretty much gave up on EA sports in general. Can't remember the last madden I bought, can't see me buying it before 2014 either
Old 02-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #551
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Valid point, although the continued downturn in the economy may have been a factor as well.
Nah, I don't buy that. It didn't seem to affect COD or Red Dead Redemption numbers. A huge portion of the older madden fan base is moving on now. Which is fine by them, because the target is for the next generation of gamers who have never played the older games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #552
Rookie

happymadison's Arena

OVR: 4

I'm not pro Ea or Pro 2k, but i'd like some variety in my choice of football game's, i buy madden every year and not because i think madden is the best but because i LOVE football and there isn't any other to choose from....if madden 12 doesn't step it up from 11 then i may pass on it, i will definitely "wait"and see so that mean's no release day purchase for the first time in 10 yr's

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »