Home

Madden NFL 12 Interview: Donny Moore - Scouting Talent

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 12 Interview: Donny Moore - Scouting Talent within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Madden NFL 12 Interview: Donny Moore - Scouting Talent

Quote:
"New Game, New Players and New Ratings!

There’s probably still confetti and BBQ sauce stuck to hidden places in Cowboys Stadium and we’re already turning our attention to the future of football. In video games.

Each February the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis provides hundreds of football players the opportunity to run, jump and lift their way into the NFL. This time of year also finds the EA Tiburon development team hard at work on Madden NFL 12 adding new features, adjusting what works and updating teams, players and other details you’ll surely notice. As these two occasions line up, we get the opportunity to discuss the topic that drives heated Madden NFL conversations year round: player ratings.

We got a hold of Madden NFL’s ratings czar/designer, Donny Moore, to get a peek at what he’s looking for at this time of year when it comes to NFL players in general and rookies in particular. Not all college superstars translate to the NFL and even with updatable rosters, Moore wants the new game to get it right on the new players as soon as possible."

Check out the entire interview, right here.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / Wii
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Madden NFL 12 Interview: Donny Moore - Scouting Talent

Interesting read...

Hopefully, they take a long hard look at AWR and not only tighten the range, but make it possible for rookies to get significanly "smarter" as their career progresses...

Same thing for STR on the OL and DL...

Too wide a range leads to difficulty balancing the pancakes vs. the block shedding...

Thanks for posting this!
Old 02-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 13

I don't know why, but I have this strange feeling of contempt for Donny Moore. Just reading his words irks me.

Like comparing Ingram to Ricky Williams and then tweaking that template? That seems like a shortcut way of doing ratings.

But, maybe I just hate him because I'm a Redskins fan and we've been terrible for a while
Old 02-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37
They should re-do the ratings system ala AP2K8. Mark Ingram is actually an Emmitt Smith type and his speed is pretty deceptive. The way that is incorporated into the game should be shown as such. Some RBs like Mendenhal don't run fast from the start like CJ2K, but rather get a head of steam going and turn on the burners....either way it should be interesting to see what they come up with.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

When I saw that pic I thought the interview was going to be about M12 adding scouting combine.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Hopefully the 'new ratings' is a hint hopefully. im sick of the computer playing god!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Outside of rookies having ridiculously low awareness that never improves, the ratings in Madden are pretty well done.

The problem in Madden is that there are too many rating categories (40+) when only 5 or 6 of them really matter.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 19

Well, we know this area is not going to change.

It also sounds like the Open Editor discussion by Ian was something to generate conversation about the game and not a serious attempt to include.

I know there's little they can do to this game because the Engine is Maxed Out. So nothing major is going to happen to M12, that's just foolish wishing.

How about a In-Game Global Editor?
The first thing people do is adjust ratings, because Donny's perception of what a players rating should be is different from gamer to gamer.

Editing one player at a time for 32 Teams plus FA is very consuming.
And it's all in an effort to make the current Ratings System mean something on the field.
Outside of Speed, for the 4th year, there is little difference between a 12 rating and a 99 rating.

This is what so many have been complaining about, and to hear that the same format of slapping a rating on a guy verifies it is, what it is.

So now what's left is Visual, Presentation and Animation Upgrades.

What harm would Threshold Sliders for main ratings do at this stage of the game for the Madden Series?

What good is Scouting if the only rating that has an impact during gameplay is Speed?

Sorry to be so sour, but I'm one of those looking for ways to Hex Edit the roster file becuause what we are given is just garbage.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »