Home

Top Spin 4 My Player Mode Gets Much-Needed Addition

This is a discussion on Top Spin 4 My Player Mode Gets Much-Needed Addition within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-24-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Top Spin 4 My Player Mode Gets Much-Needed Addition

Lots of words have already been spent detailing a lot of the cool things going on with My Player mode in Top Spin 4. However, one thing that had not been mentioned was whether or not full-on tennis matches (see: five sets, six games per set) had been included this time around.

Nevertheless, I can happily say that you will finally be able to play real tennis during My Player mode in Top Spin 4. Five sets, six games per set, let the best man win.

However, be aware that you have to select this option at the beginning of the career mode, and you can never change it after the career mode has begun. 2K decided to do it this way because of "balancing" concerns related to switching between full sets and abbreviated ones from match to match.

Many folks will not care about this option because only so many people have time to play one to two hour matches, but for those that want to be truly hardcore (I will be in that group), you can finally go for it.

Power to the player.
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42
Actually that is kinda disappointing that you can't change it after career mode starts. I think the smaller events should be 6 games/3sets and larger events (slams) best of 5, 6 games. Don't know why the devs didn't at least give the option to defer the smaller events and slams.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Top Spin 4 My Player Mode Gets Much-Needed Addition

Goodness, I kind of get it, I guess, but as rangerrick mentions above, it's not real tennis if you're forced into a certain number of sets.

Balance issues is a poor excuse when you're releasing a tennis sim that you market as being true to the game. Not every tournament is 3 sets to a win, but now I'll have to once again play in fantasy world and pretend they are. Shame.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 02-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 24

About time and it really doesn't state that all the matches will be best of 5, it just says you have to play 6 game sets thru career mode, so there is a good chance that the Majors will be best of 5 and all the others best of 3.

At this point I'll take what I can get because I'll take 6 game sets in a best of 5 rather than the 3 game sets crap.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
Goodness, I kind of get it, I guess, but as rangerrick mentions above, it's not real tennis if you're forced into a certain number of sets.

Balance issues is a poor excuse when you're releasing a tennis sim that you market as being true to the game. Not every tournament is 3 sets to a win, but now I'll have to once again play in fantasy world and pretend they are. Shame.
I believe certain tourneys will still have certain rule restrictions etc., so perhaps it will be flexible a bit in that way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Yeah the system used in pro tennis is 5 set matches for majors and 3 set matches for most other tournaments.

Hopefully, they keep that system intact for Top Spin.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I believe certain tourneys will still have certain rule restrictions etc., so perhaps it will be flexible a bit in that way.
I hope so, but even if not, at least we can play 5 sets.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 02-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
R**k**

vinny_b's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
About time and it really doesn't state that all the matches will be best of 5, it just says you have to play 6 game sets thru career mode, so there is a good chance that the Majors will be best of 5 and all the others best of 3.

At this point I'll take what I can get because I'll take 6 game sets in a best of 5 rather than the 3 game sets crap.

^ this.

_

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »