Home

MLB 11 The Show Video: Challenge of the Week

This is a discussion on MLB 11 The Show Video: Challenge of the Week within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: MLB 11 The Show Video: Challenge of the Week

Whoever thought of implementing this over at SCEA deserves a huge raise. What an ingenious idea. Just imagine the $$$ that will be generated from this. As much as I'd like to believe I will only play my one free try per week. I'm sure I will end up spending a few bucks on this.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:36 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I don't see how anyone can say pull a fast one. It's not like they are going to let you keep going and racking up a tab...and then suddenly you realize that you owe them 100 bucks.
You are either going to feed the machine...or walk away.
You know exactly what you are doing.
I guess you didn't play video games at the arcade as a kid, huh?...and they didn't give you prizes!

M.K.
Knight165
Yeah that is true, but it doesn't cost $60 bucks to enter the arcade. It also comes across shady to talk up this mode were you can win prizes for the last few months, and then the day before the game comes out say, oh by the way, your gonna have to pay extra to play it.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:40 AM   #19
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallofanempire
Yeah that is true, but it doesn't cost $60 bucks to enter the arcade. It also comes across shady to talk up this mode were you can win prizes for the last few months, and then the day before the game comes out say, oh by the way, your gonna have to pay extra to play it.

You need to do some fact checking Sr. it's been widely known and publicized in plenty of articles over the months that you get one free try a week and every other try is a quarter.

The very first articles about the game back in January mentions the quarter barrier of entry.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:06 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
You need to do some fact checking Sr. it's been widely known and publicized in plenty of articles over the months that you get one free try a week and every other try is a quarter.

The very first articles about the game back in January mentions the quarter barrier of entry.
Perhaps that is true. However, I have not heard about it until today. I would bet that a good amount of people hadn't either. I get the business side of it. You guys can't say our modes cost extra when the other guys are giving away a million dollars. But that does not change the fact that I am dissappointed to find out about this mode costing extra money.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:36 AM   #21
MVP

Stroehms's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Perhaps that is true. However, I have not heard about it until today. I would bet that a good amount of people hadn't either. I get the business side of it. You guys can't say our modes cost extra when the other guys are giving away a million dollars. But that does not change the fact that I am dissappointed to find out about this mode costing extra money.
So..you are disappointed that the mode is going to cost money or are you more disappointed that you are finding out about it today?

I for one, can't see myself playing the mode but understand that this is a business and also, the mode adds more for a user to do in the game. It's just depth to an already deep game. No harm.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2011, 04:07 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 6

Is there going to be a tutorial on how this mode works? This video is very vague. Also are there only going to be hitting challenges? When does the week officially start and end? Is every challenge going to be the same but at a different venue with different players?
Old 03-08-2011, 04:21 AM   #23
Hall Of Fame

42's Arena

OVR: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal
Is there going to be a tutorial on how this mode works? This video is very vague. Also are there only going to be hitting challenges? When does the week officially start and end? Is every challenge going to be the same but at a different venue with different players?

Just copying my post from the Community Event Thread:

COTW is a Batter vs. Pitcher duel, you being the batter while facing the pitcher (AI) each week. Of course who you'll hit with, which pitcher you'll face, what stadium you'll be in, etc... will change week to week.

Basic Rundown: You get one free session each week (3 outs) and after that, .25 cents per play (think video arcade!). They will also offer packs (5 sessions for $1 and 26 for $5).

Each ball hit in play, how far it was hit (foul balls also count but won't be as much) will accumulate points as you go. You'll also have "X's Bonus" points which you'll want to strive for as that will drive your score up immensely, however, these "bonus" challenges will vary each week. (i.e. hit streaks, total hits per out, etc...) just to give you an idea. Also, every 3 hits in play will increase your difficulty (Veteran, All-Star, HOF and Legend - you start on Rookie). As you advance levels, you'll be rewarded with a nice momentum boost!

This mode WILL test your patience at the plate! You'll want to stay alive as long as you can per strike (each strike looking will reset your "active" points). Whatever points you've accumulated in that strike session will be added to your total count.

What also makes this mode appealing is the prizes you can win each week (signed jerseys/baseballs, etc...) and don't forget, they'll have monthly prizes (Sony products, etc...) and a grand prize at the end which is why you'll want to remain active in this because your total User score will carry on as you go throughout the season.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:40 AM   #24
Rookie

HawkeyMediaPlus's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
It doesn't cost extra though! You get a free try every week! It's not like they are forcing you to spend money on anything.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »