Home

Analyst: Madden Sales to Fall 50% if NFL Season is Cancelled

This is a discussion on Analyst: Madden Sales to Fall 50% if NFL Season is Cancelled within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Analyst: Madden Sales to Fall 50% if NFL Season is Cancelled

Everyone's favorite video game analysts Michael Pachter is back with a prediction for Madden this season:

Quote:
"Michael Pachter, video game analyst at Wedbush Morgan Securities, believes the longer the lockout drags on, the more likely it is that NFL fans will become alienated. He said while Madden is a great experience for gamers, its sales are definitely correlated to the underlying popularity of the NFL, so if the popularity of the NFL suffers, it’s likely that sales of Madden will suffer.

“It’s still too early to call, since the lockout is happening in March and Madden launches in August,” said Pachter. “That’s a lot of time to fix things, although most commentators don’t sound very optimistic. My guess is that a complete cancellation of the NFL season would cost Madden around 50 percent of sales, and a delay of the season would be far less impactful. If the season is only delayed a week or two and fans aren’t alienated, there would be only a very small impact; if delayed through Thanksgiving (when the holiday selling season begins in earnest), the impact would be far greater.”

I don't want to speculate on the exact amount, but Pachter would be close to right if the entire season is cancelled. EA is already planning on Madden not being a big seller this year with their forward forecasts and past performances of games under strikes and lockouts don't give one much hope for Madden to be a sales hoss this season.
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Pro

wallofhate's Arena

OVR: 8
Im no expert but I feel a 50% cut in profits seems a lil bit much. I would guess more of the realm of 25% to 35%. There are drones of people who just purchase the game just strictly of the name that dobt even really watch or play football much. Then you have people who want to fill the gap left with the missing "real" games. And lastly people such as myself who just cant get enough football irregardless of the situation. College football and the ncaa game would see substantial gains from the lockout though.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
That s*** looks terrible. Is that a pic of graphics from the last Madden "sarcasm"? Madden (should) have a drop in sales on the quality of product it puts out every year all on its own. It's not like what we see on Sunday is even close to being portrayed in this title anyway. So never-mind if the season is canceled. Hurts me to say as a football fan first, but this (the lockout) may just be a blessing in disguise, as far as video game football goes.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
According to vgchartz:

NBA Live 98 - 1.40 million sales
NBA Live 99 - 1.09 million sales

So PS1 NBA Live sales dropped 22% the year of the lockout.

I think a 20% sales drop is a much more realistic expectation for Madden.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 8
I would love to see how this would do with no nflpa after a lot of people bashed (and didnt support) backbreaker and APK2k8 with no current nflpa or nfl association for that matter...this takes me back to madden 64...most of the visitors on this site are probably too young to remember that...lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: Analyst: Madden Sales to Fall 50% if NFL Season is Cancelled

Yeah all the Maddens up until Madden 95 didn't have the NFLPA license, so the players were just numbered instead of named.

Madden 64 (the N64 equivalent of Madden 98) actually had the NFLPA license, but not the NFL team license.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
According to vgchartz:

NBA Live 98 - 1.40 million sales
NBA Live 99 - 1.09 million sales

So PS1 NBA Live sales dropped 22% the year of the lockout.

I think a 20% sales drop is a much more realistic expectation for Madden.
I feel that's a better approximation as well.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 03-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I actually think sales might increase. More people will be craving the NFL and Madden will be the only thing to offer it to them. Or they can keep Madden 11 and sim one year and play what would be the season they're missing out on.

I need to think this through.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »