Home

Analyst: Madden Sales to Fall 50% if NFL Season is Cancelled

This is a discussion on Analyst: Madden Sales to Fall 50% if NFL Season is Cancelled within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 33
50% seems like a number pulled out of thin air.

What's the betting Madden is released this year as a sub par game with EA citing reduced investment in the product based on forecasts of poor sales due to a lockout.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Analyst: Madden Sales to Fall 50% if NFL Season is Cancelled

One would think that a lengthy lockout might actually help Madden sales. For instance, without football, Madden is the only thing that us addicts have to turn to for our football fix. So it may have the opposite effect. Some people that don't play Madden, may turn to it in their time of need in order to get their fix. That would be my analysis.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #19
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

I do feel that if a lockout does happen this year. The sales will go down some. But by 50% is a little much tho. I would say maybe about 25-30% sales lost because of the lockout that will happen and if does at this point. It's still to early to say tho. But lockout or not I will be there day 1 to get my copy. I love Madden either way. I have for 21 years now.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by daslyvillian
So if there is not NFLPA any more does any football game need anyother type of license to put the actual players in the game? Example 2K12 with real players and fake teams!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
As I understand it VC would have to negotiate individual deals with each player (as they did with the legends in APF). Needless to say, VC won't be doing that.
This thread should answer the questions regarding the NFLPA and licensing.

How will an NFL Lockout Effect Madden?

Last edited by Claymaker52; 03-16-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #21
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Since I absolutely hate current gen Madden, this news should be music to my ears. The problem is that if the game sells poorly, they will blame it on the NFL being cancelled and not because it's a very mediocre game that only sells as well as it does because people love the NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
According to vgchartz:

NBA Live 98 - 1.40 million sales
NBA Live 99 - 1.09 million sales

So PS1 NBA Live sales dropped 22% the year of the lockout.

I think a 20% sales drop is a much more realistic expectation for Madden.
NBA Live 99 was good game, but Madden NFL 11 is far from good. I can see about a 75% loss of sales this year for Madden NFL 12 if EA is not allowed to use the player likeness and names. If that is the case, the Madden NFL fanbase will finally see what the true sim nation has been seeing since ESPN NFL 2k6 was cut.

If the Madden NFL dev team wants to succeed, the will go route of NCAA 12 this year. Gameplay first, pretty graphics and "Surprise Onsides Kicks" become bonus. 2k Sports knows how to make a great football game, but they don't know how to advertise as well as EA Sports does.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #23
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by turftickler
NBA Live 99 was good game, but Madden NFL 11 is far from good. I can see about a 75% loss of sales this year for Madden NFL 12 if EA is not allowed to use the player likeness and names. If that is the case, the Madden NFL fanbase will finally see what the true sim nation has been seeing since ESPN NFL 2k6 was cut.

If the Madden NFL dev team wants to succeed, the will go route of NCAA 12 this year. Gameplay first, pretty graphics and "Surprise Onsides Kicks" become bonus. 2k Sports knows how to make a great football game, but they don't know how to advertise as well as EA Sports does.
I don't agree with 99 being a good game. There were bugs in that game. Live 95 and 96 were better on the Genesis than 99 on the PC. Also, it's already been reported all NFL players, teams will be in the game.

Just because they came crashing out of the gates early with SOK, doesn't mean there aren't bigger and better things down the road. That's the way info has been released the last three years.

Everyone seems to be forgetting the NFL gave EA a break this year on the license fee because of the upcoming negotiations.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

That's ridiculous, Maddens sales may fall a bit because of the lockout but nowhere near 50%, LMAO

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »