Home

Madden NFL 12 To Include Concussions to Present a Safety Message

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 12 To Include Concussions to Present a Safety Message within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-31-2011, 04:08 AM   #17
Pro

Step2001's Arena

OVR: 9
Wear and Tear Injury System! That's what I am waiting for to be announced. This was in NFL Head Coach 09. It needed to be tweaked but overall it was great.

Injuries should carryover into the following season. With Players having surgeries after the season. Then get reports through the entire offseason on the player recovery. Sometimes a player might have complications from the surgery (like Brady did a few years ago) and prolong the recovery.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:09 AM   #18
Nev
Rookie

Nev's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Madden NFL 12 To Include Concussions to Present a Safety Message

Its a cool idea but I've just got a feeling its gonna get abused. Like Madden 11 with the random broken collarbone.

If players get taken out on big hits then yes, but not every wrap up tackle.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:58 AM   #19
Rookie

Icarus2k9's Arena

OVR: 5

Quick qualifier: Agree 100% with this move. It's a violent, violent game, but we don't want to ever encourage the Ironman mentality if it means you end up getting spoonfed for the rest of your life. Also interesting to see comments underneath Peter Moore's stance hating on the move for ruining teh videogamez.

Qualifier off: Doesn't a story like this prove how hard it will be for Madden to ever include certain things the fans want? The NFL license brings with it a lot of responsibility to market the game the way the NFL wants it, and this story hints at that relationship.

What happens to RTP tackles if you feel responsible to teach children how to hit? Or double tackles? Hell, the hit stick? Making sure there are form tackles and less successful non-form tackles puts strain on those systems. Similarly, what about off-field antics from players in Franchise? Or celebrations? Or players jawing and getting in each others face after a play - which I always think is a big one that Madden misses because it wants to produce the sanitised product the NFL demands. We end up with the odd player picking each other up and then heading to the huddle like good boys.

I always have to bring it back to FIFA, because I know FIFA, but that only allows bone crunching tackles because you have a sanctioned system of punishments in place in the form of red cards. They've only just added players complaining, and that's a short and tame animation that punishes the player complaining because they're not ready for the quick free kick.

Sorry, went off on a tangent there. It's just an interesting product of the licenses, and while I 100% agree with this change for the game, in other areas it has hurt the concept of "everything you see on Sunday"
Old 03-31-2011, 07:26 AM   #20
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Concussions in Madden 12 (Kotaku)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Implemented correctly, I like this idea lot.
This! If implemented correctly it would be great, but Madden's injury system hasn't been fantastic so far. Random injuries occurring at random tackles, injured players being subbed back in the game despite being unavailable etc. etc.

I like that sports video games are focusing on player safety as long as it's implemented in a cohesive and consistent manner, so we'll also see correct flags for hitting defenseless players as those two things are linked.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:33 AM   #21
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus2k9
I always have to bring it back to FIFA, because I know FIFA, but that only allows bone crunching tackles because you have a sanctioned system of punishments in place in the form of red cards. They've only just added players complaining, and that's a short and tame animation that punishes the player complaining because they're not ready for the quick free kick.
This is off-topic, but FIFA's producer has already publicly said that FIFA 11's set-piece system is "lame" and "last-gen". The year before with he slammed the ratings and that was fixed for FIFA 11. I find it quite refreshing that FIFA's producer has this approach, unlike Madden's producers who refuse to acknowledge anything unless it's been triple-approved by marketing.

Last edited by guaps; 03-31-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #22
MVP

OVR: 36
Re: Concussions in Madden 12 (Kotaku)

I echo the overall sentiment of the other replies...I love the idea and appreciate the realism, I just hope it's tuned to be somewhat realistic.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 0

I'm only expecting a superficial implementation of it.

It'll probably show up on the injury report like everything else:

Example, you'll see a little pop up that shows:

"Injury Report: D. Jackson - Concussion - Out for Game - Under Evaluation for Next Week"

There will be no option to put the player back into the game (with risk of re-injury) because it's now the NFL rule to not allow a player to return after a concussion. Also, they would have to have daily "concussion evaluations" to determine if they are clear to play for the following week(s) too. Unless the Madden engine just picks a pre-set time frame right away and then you just find a sub and go with that guy until your normal starter is off the injury list.

And that's it. I mean, how deep can you get with it? Concussions have always been in Madden as an injury, so far as I recall. The only change they need to make is the duration of play time that the player will miss. In this case, they'll miss at least the rest of the current game and possibly the following week's game depending on the "severity" of it.

It's more true-to-life, but not a major change IMO. This is a videogame after all. I honestly don't see the need to add this to the game except to appease the NFL's "morality" police.

EDIT: lol - unless they add a mini-game where you try to pass the concussion evaluation test by doing some goofy controller button game. This way you could maybe speed up your player's return to the starting lineup? Just a thought.

Last edited by Zombiecakes; 03-31-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 49

Sounds like its time for individual injury sliders!! This could get out of hand if they dont.

I also tend to agree this just means we will get a new cutscene, nothing more. Just MO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »