Home

NCAA Football 12 Blog - Gameplay, Part 1

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 12 Blog - Gameplay, Part 1 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63
NCAA Football 12 Blog - Gameplay, Part 1

Check out the newest NCAA Football 12 blog, written by Mike Scantlebury, Developer of NCAA Football 12.

Hey NCAA fans! It's Scantlebury here to give you some insight on what the Central Gameplay team has been cooking up for the NCAA Football 12 title. We’ve touched several core areas of gameplay including: tackling, blocking, catching, and coverage. The changes we have made will be evident on the very first play of the game and I’m not talking about your first snap – I mean from the opening Kickoff. Let me tell you a little bit about what we’re doing for each of the core areas of gameplay to give you guys a brand new gaming experience.

NO MORE SUCTION ON TACKLES. Yeah you read that correctly. Did you hate it when you would do a spin move then get sucked back into a tackle? Or when you would be running through a hole in the line—a clear lane—and then a D-Lineman just warps in front of you and makes the tackle? Well this year there is no more warping on tackles. Tackles only occur on collision. So you won’t see a tackle happen unless actual collision is made between the ball carrier and the defender. Jukes and spins are more valuable than they ever have been and running through holes in the line never felt so good.

MOMENTUM ON TACKLES. We’ve all seen this happen: you’re running down the field with a full head of steam and then when you meet up with a defender WHAM complete momentum stop. It’s like the two of you were never running and collided with each other from only two feet away. Well, this year when you see that same situation you will actually notice the preservation of momentum on the tackle. Who wins the momentum battle depends on various factors including speed, size, and weight of the participants in the tackle. If the defender wins you’ll see the ball carrier being driven back as soon as they collide and that will carry through even as the players hit the ground. The movement doesn’t stop as soon as the players hit the ground; it carries through just like real life.

TACKLE BUTTON. This is a new feature that we have added this year; the old Dive Button has been replaced by the Tackle Button. Now this doesn’t guarantee that you’ll make the tackle but once you hit the button you are driven towards the ball carrier. There is a timing aspect to this because if you hit the button too early your defender will lunge in a last ditch effort to make a tackle. This is incredibly useful because the same way CPU defenders have no suction on tackle attempts, neither do user defenders. So, as you can imagine, it is somewhat harder to be pin-point accurate and run into that moving ball carrier. The same steering is applied to our Hit Stick and Strip ball Tackle attempt so the choice is yours. Personally, I like the play it safe and hit the Tackle Button.

NO MORE SUCTION ON BLOCKS. You know if we removed the suction on tackles we certainly corrected that on blocks, too. I know too many of us have said at least one time, “hey I got sucked into that block.” Please believe me, I feel your pain. Right when you are about to make a tackle, out of nowhere you get sucked into a block. The crazy thing is you actually feel like you are being pulled, I don’t mean the character in the game I mean YOU (well that’s how I felt anyway). Now that’s a thing of the past. If you get by that blocker or he’s not in the appropriate position to make the blocks you won’t get sucked back into him, you’ll continue traveling to your final destination which is undoubtedly the ball carrier.

CATCHING THE LOVE. Yes, we had to give some love to catching, as well. We made a deliberate effort to add some new sprint catches to reduce warping and sliding when the receiver positions himself to catch a pass. Another great addition is the brand new dive catches. If the ball is far out ahead of you then a dive catch may get you there to make the play. The dive catches in NCAA Football 12 are reliable and incredibly useful. And, in case you were wondering, yes, the user can trigger the same dive catches that the CPU players can trigger. In previous years, you would get the same ineffective generic dive catch every time you hit the button, but now you get a dive catch that matches the same way you get a sideline catch or a jump catch that matches. Trust me; if you make use of it when the opportunity arises you won’t be disappointed.

That’s just a few of the gameplay improvements in NCAA Football 12 that I know will enhance your experience. Stay tuned for Part 2 of this blog for more information regarding tackling (add-ons and stealing tackles), as well as new and improved defensive zone logic.

Additional information will be released soon, including announcements about your favorite features like Dynasty and Road to Glory!

Source - NCAA Football 12 Gameplay Blog Part 1
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here

Last edited by RedZoneD25; 04-21-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: NCAA Football 12 - Gamplay Blog Part 1

Who wins the momentum battle depends on various factors including speed, size, and weight of the participants in the tackle.

^niiiiiiiiiice!

the way he mentioned warp catches makes me think there will still be a small element of that, but as long as its minimized
Old 04-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

Thanks Chad.

All of this good news makes me not want to play NCAA 11 anymore. I am anxious for our OS Legends (NCAA 12) online dynasty though!

So much improvement to blocking, tackling and catching (one of my pet peeves). Can't wait to feel it in my hands and see it play out altogether.

Very hyped up right now and we stil have more news to come. Feelin' good.

Last edited by J-Unit40; 04-21-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Glad they're doing what they can to address warping, but I fully expect there to be some in the final build. It can't all be eliminated as the blog alludes to. Even the great NBA2K11 has some warping in order to simulate shut down defense. It comes with the territory...
Old 04-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Hopefully this means no more scat backs running over 300 pound DTs. That there will be a true difference between an agile scat back and a big bruiser back. That a user can't run the ball the same way with every player because there will be a penalty for trying to use a scat back like a power brusier back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

This should be a good series. I hope to hear more about defense in the next few parts.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

One of the biggest factors to me is that he mentioned weight being included in the momentum calculation. I'm really hoping this means I won't see a 170lb back mow over a 300lb lineman unless there are some momentum factors involved.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

good stuff on that blog. wonder if they added anything to do with shading coverage in the secondary for individuals. being able shade the wr for the slant or the quick out would add just that much more to playing D.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »