Home

Judge Nixes NCAA Players Antitrust Claims -- Case Not Over...Yet

This is a discussion on Judge Nixes NCAA Players Antitrust Claims -- Case Not Over...Yet within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Judge Nixes NCAA Players Antitrust Claims -- Case Not Over...Yet

You may remember the NCAA players lawsuit which claimed anti-trust violations occurred by EA and the NCAA in using college players likenesses right? Yesterday, the NCAA players lawsuit's anti-trust claims against EA and the NCAA were shot down by Judge Claudia Wilken.

Quote:
"A California federal judge on Monday nixed putative class antitrust claims that Electronic Arts Inc. plotted with the NCAA and its licensing firm to profit improperly off college athletes' likenesses.

U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken dismissed claims that the video game company, along with the NCAA and The Collegiate Licensing Co., conspired to avoid paying student basketball and football players for the use and sale of their likenesses in popular NCAA-themed video games.

However, the judge granted the players two weeks to amend their antitrust allegations."

This isn't a complete dismissal of the lawsuit, and I think that needs to be stressed. But it is a serious blow against Keller and Co's case for sure. We'll keep on top of this case as we have since the beginning!
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Glad to hear this nonsense is on its way to a head.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 05-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Pro

mWolfe's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Judge Nixes NCAA Players Antitrust Claims -- Case Not Over...Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

You may remember the NCAA players lawsuit which claimed anti-trust violations occurred by EA and the NCAA in using college players likenesses right? Yesterday, the NCAA players lawsuit's anti-trust claims against EA and the NCAA were shot down by Judge Claudia Wilken.

This isn't a complete dismissal of the lawsuit, and I think that needs to be stressed. But it is a serious blow against Keller and Co's case for sure. We'll keep on top of this case as we have since the beginning!

Didn't they shoot down Jim Brown as well when he tried to sue E.A for using his likeness as well in Madden. I do believe they did, so I am not to shocked to see them shoot down Keller and company as well. Now the other lawsuit I would like to see shot down is the suing of Madden for exclusive rights and so forth. Also if any one has heard of the Hawaii man suing Lineage II for making to addictive, which was allowed to proceed but I haven't seen any news of a full decision on that one yet.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
Rookie

Canes305's Arena

OVR: 3
What likeness??they are generic players o_O
Old 05-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
MVP

PaperBoyx703's Arena

OVR: 22

Oh great to have an update, I was just looking for an update on this earlier today and came up blank. Yeah, I am hoping this goes away fast because this suit was nonsense claiming money wasn't the motivation for this charge.
YouTube: TBD
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
MVP

Maxattax3's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes305
What likeness??they are generic players o_O
exactly, and "Keller" in the game was actually good.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
its good news for fans of the video games, not good news for college athletes trying to be paid. I've changed my tune on this topic, i do agree with what the players are arguing even though it would be a pain for the video games.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 32

I am sorry, this is a ridiculous law suit and it is clear that money is the pure motivation for it. There are no names on the Jerseys, the faces are generic, and for the love of... I do not see how a number and equipment can reflect ones "likeness"

Who the heck is Sam Keller anyway

Last edited by SECElit3; 05-04-2011 at 01:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »