Home

Judge Nixes NCAA Players Antitrust Claims -- Case Not Over...Yet

This is a discussion on Judge Nixes NCAA Players Antitrust Claims -- Case Not Over...Yet within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 23
Re: Judge Nixes NCAA Players Antitrust Claims -- Case Not Over...Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECElite3
It is my understanding from reading posts of ex-NCAA players, they sign an agreement which protects the NCAA from lawsuits like this.
If that's the case, why the hell is this lawsuit even going on? lol

My real point though, was that they could make the agreement more specific, and voluntary, which would allow NCAA games to have names and likenesses, but only for players who sign the agreement.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
If that's the case, why the hell is this lawsuit even going on? lol

My real point though, was that they could make the agreement more specific, and voluntary, which would allow NCAA games to have names and likenesses, but only for players who sign the agreement.

Good question... I didn't play NCAA football and haven't seen the agreement. My information is purely hear say. Maybe the players found a loop hole, but for some reason the law, up to this point, is siding against the players. I am just ready for this case to go away..
Old 05-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #27
Pro

Dbrentonbuck's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dame
I would agree 100% with you if the scholarship was play football for us and we will give you 10k a year toward education and room and board. On the surface that seems fair. But I think the problem is more complex than that( see the fiesta bowl problems).

at 17 years old I would have jumped at the scholarship as well but at 30 and with some hindsight it dont seem like a fair trade(for superstar players and its only 10 or so great players each year). superstar players will argue that their value is more than 10k(you will never hear someone argue the opposite) the other side will argue its because of the college that your value has risen you will never find a fair medium.

This will all be mute if the NFL goes on strike and the courts find the NFL draft illegal because people will start leaving for the NFL as soon as they are ready there wont be a collective bargain in place to stop them.

A perfect world for me we pay the players and my gaming price dont go up but I dont think thats going to happen. I think they should get paid but i dont have a problem with them not getting paid either I just hate the argument of if that was me.
I disagree about the star players. Life isn't fair. The real world doesn't work like that. There is an offer on the table: 1 free education and a 4 year interview for a job where you can make millions of dollars. The offer is the same for every one. Tim Teabow benefited from playing at Florida. Had he played for Mary Help the Christian Sisters University, he would not have a brand that he can and is using to make millions of dollars, so if the University wants to sell #15 jerseys then let them. They took a gamble on him and it paid off. They took the same gamble with Brantley and he probably cost them more to educate than the money he will bring in. The fact of the matter is that had Teabow not played football in an NCAA school after highschool he would be on a mission trip in Africa living off of donations. Instead, he got a free education, a chance to build a multimillion dollar brand name and a chance to impress the NFL as part of his deal. Keller didn't cash in on his deal the way Teabow did and that is why he is crying. Even if Teabow had not been drafted he could have made plenty of money endorsing products in the state of Florida because of being a gator. To me, that is a fair trade.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #28
Sweettouch

Dame's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrentonbuck
I disagree about the star players. Life isn't fair. The real world doesn't work like that. There is an offer on the table: 1 free education and a 4 year interview for a job where you can make millions of dollars. The offer is the same for every one. Tim Teabow benefited from playing at Florida. Had he played for Mary Help the Christian Sisters University, he would not have a brand that he can and is using to make millions of dollars, so if the University wants to sell #15 jerseys then let them. They took a gamble on him and it paid off. They took the same gamble with Brantley and he probably cost them more to educate than the money he will bring in. The fact of the matter is that had Teabow not played football in an NCAA school after highschool he would be on a mission trip in Africa living off of donations. Instead, he got a free education, a chance to build a multimillion dollar brand name and a chance to impress the NFL as part of his deal. Keller didn't cash in on his deal the way Teabow did and that is why he is crying. Even if Teabow had not been drafted he could have made plenty of money endorsing products in the state of Florida because of being a gator. To me, that is a fair trade.
I put that similar argument in my post
Quote:
the other side will argue its because of the college that your value has risen you will never find a fair medium.
I understand what you was saying and it would be a fair trade if Florida university only profited of the kid but others are profiting of the kid too and he didnt sign an agreement with them. andi think thats where the problem comes from. he didnt agree with EA or ESPN or reebok or Nike and those are the companys who are getting money from their likeness not the school.

But like i said i dont care either way i'm able to see both side of the argument I was just stating that i dont like the "if it was me" type argument that these cases usually bring because it dont work that way. If it was me now at 30 I would sign away my likeness now for my student loans would be paid but thats only me it a whole group of people who wouldnt. i'm no arguing or saying that you are wrong
Old 05-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #29
Pro

Dbrentonbuck's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
See I hate this kind of attitude. I get paid good money to do my job. I'm thankful for the amount I get paid. But if I found out my job was selling T-shirts with my face on them, charging 20 bucks a pop for them and my job was making millions off of them.....I would want my damn cut.

Its the same with college athletes. One, you are wrong about most of them getting merchandise money. There are 10,000 Division 1-A football players each year. Maybe 200-300 tops sign memorabilia deals or merchandise deals when their college career is over. Two, they didnt "rape the system". They held up their end of the bargain. They played college football. The school gave them a scholarship. That was the extent of the deal. There was no likeness deal.

Three, if any top football player agreed to that ridiculous suggestion that in exchange for a 50k scholarship they give up their likeness rights for life....that player is dumbest person on earth.
See that is a sense of entitlement. That isn't how the real world works. I will give you an example. I was asked 7 years ago to manage an advertising office. When I was hired, I was told the job was salary and that raises were based on yearly reviews and averaged between 2-7 percent. Now, when I started the office billed about 87,000 per month. Within the first two years we were billing over 110,000 per month. That means I helped that company make over 20,000 dollars per month. Do you think the company came to me and said, "please accept this 10,000 dollar monthly raise as it is your cut of the profits". In fact, they took some of the things we were doing and rolled them out to other offices so their profits increased as well. Do you want to know what I got from the deal? 3 years ago all raises were frozen due to a bad economy even though we continue to bill over 110,000 per month. Can I go to a judge and say, "hey I want this company to give me my share of the profits they made because of me"? Nope. Welcome to the real world.

You make it out like if it wasn't for the NCAA, these kids would be millionaires. If it wasn't for the NCAA no one would know who they are. Many of them wouldn't have gotten an education at all and would be serving us fries. They had an opportunity to build a brand name BECAUSE they played for a NCAA school which gave them exposure to millions of fans and television. It is up to them what they make out of the chance.

If it wasn't for the NCAA, no one would give a flying fudge who Cam Newton is. My local university has a club football team that is not affiliated with the school and they play other club football teams, guess what... I don't care about anyone on that team. They may have the next Tom Brady and I wouldn't care...and neither will anyone else. And, when Tom Brady Jr. graduates, the local car dealer isn't going to call him to make a commercial. Do you want to know why? Because club football players do not have the multibillion dollar branding machine of the NCAA behind them.

Each of these kids had the same chance as every other kid on an NCAA team to build a personal brand and impress the NFL... some did, some didn't... this is life.

Last edited by Dbrentonbuck; 05-04-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 38

Good I'm glad, this falls in the same boat as that guy suing because McDonalds made him fat........Just nonsense.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #31
Pro

Dbrentonbuck's Arena

The problem in all of this is that the NCAA likes to pretend it is a student athletic organization instead of a business. It needs to just be honest with itself and make kids sign an agreement that allows them to use their likeness for profit the same way it makes schools agree that they can use their team logos etc. Each kid would have the chance to either sign the agreement and get a free education, chance to impress the NFL and build a personal brand name in exchange for the NCAA using them to make a profit or they can go play for a club football team. It is as simple as that. If the NCAA would stop pretending to be a charitable organization, then none of this would be an issue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #32
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECElite3
AHolbert, I fully understand your argument and to some extent agree with it. Where do you draw the line in regards to likeness? How far does one go with his or her interpretation of likeness in regards to a football game? Some might make the argument that replicating a uniform which thousands of other players have worn, putting a number on it which thousands of other players have worn, and putting that player at the same postion which thousands of others have played, would not necessarily represent a true likeness.

Maybe my perspective is skewed a little here and maybe it is not, but your example of your company pasting your face on a shirt and selling it for profit is not appropriate for this scenario. EA is not putting these players faces in the game. The faces in the game are generics. They are not putting names on the jerseys. As obvious as it might seem to some that a player or players in a game represent real life counterparts, I believe this case is going to be determined by interpretation
The line is here for me. If you have the 2011 Michigan Wolverines with a QB with the number 16 who is black and has dreds......thats Denard Robinson.

If you have the 2011 Michigan Wolverines with a QB with the number 14 who is white and has a mullet......thats not Denard Robinson.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »