Home

John Madden Rips Into Developers Early in Development, Didn't Like 7 on 7 (NSFW)

This is a discussion on John Madden Rips Into Developers Early in Development, Didn't Like 7 on 7 (NSFW) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #17
Greatest "Show" on Earth!

Yankees_CT's Arena

OVR: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
His name is on the game today, for the exact reason why they sought him out in the first place. Not for his Football acumen, but to capitalize on name recognition.

Madden isn't the mega broadcast star that he was, but his name on the game is etched in pop culture consciousness.

It has very little to do with any benefit of the input that he might bring.
Well, he was also known as a pretty decent head coach (as I am sure you are aware) who does know the game of football and I am sure has brought a little more then name recognition to the game (although I am aware that is one of the obvious reasons he was used). Broadcasting came after the fact. Let's cut the guy a little slack.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #18
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: John Madden Rips Into Developers Early in Development, Didn't Like 7 on 7 (NSFW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees_CT
Well, he was also known as a pretty decent head coach (as I am sure you are aware) who does know the game of football and I am sure has brought a little more then name recognition to the game (although I am aware that is one of the obvious reasons he was used). Broadcasting came after the fact. Let's cut the guy a little slack.

You are correct, I am aware that he was a great coach. My point is that EA, first and foremost, put his name on the box to sell copies. Any input that he could lend was a very distant second to that fact.

The fact that he was a big time coach, gave the game more credibility, real or perceived, ie his name could leverage more sales. This could be accomplished without even one iota of input on his part.

This is also the reason that his name is still on the game. Again, the name Madden is now almost synonymous with videogame Football.

Make no mistake. There are people that have more X and O wherewith all than Madden. If that were chief among the reasons for selecting a spokes model if you will, there is probably some lesser known coordinators who would have been better in that role. They wanted his name. Anything else was gravy.

This game could have just as easily turned out to be Don Shula Football, or Tom Landry Football, or Bill Parcells Football, etc...
Old 05-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #19
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: John Madden Rips Into Developers Early in Development, Didn't Like 7 on 7 (NSFW)

He ripped into the Dev team back in 2005 after seeing how over the top the game was in 2004 (when they tailored the gameplay around Michael Vick) - I remember seeing a piece on ESPN about it. It'd be cool for them to put him back on the cover, but only after they get the game right

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 05-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #20
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning
why? the game is a shadow of its former self. if i were madden, i'd get out of the contract to get my name off the box. then again, his paycheck is probably good enough to warrant sidestepping this moral landmine.
Do you really think Madden feels the game is lousy? His name is on the box and they go to his ranch once during the making of Madden, plus he is in constant consultation with them. He's not going to get out of the game, he feels the game is fine.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #21
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Do you really think Madden feels the game is lousy? His name is on the box and they go to his ranch once during the making of Madden, plus he is in constant consultation with them. He's not going to get out of the game, he feels the game is fine.

We really don't know what he thinks of the game, good or bad. And even if we did, I'm not sure that I would put much stock in it.

He isn't a gamer. He may know Football, but he doesn't know game mechanics. I would think that his critiques would be more along the lines of are these real NFL plays, versus something simply gameplay related.

For example, I'm sure he was thrilled with the product back in 89. It was 11 on 11. Had real teams, players, had pro type plays. Did that game play realistically? Not so much.

Now obviously tech was different back then and not as capable, but somehow I doubt if John gets into what is capable today and really demands that the game reflect that.

Bottom line, I'm not sure if we should be really put too much stock in whether Madden is happy with the state of the game, considering he gets paid. There's probably a lot of Miller Lite endorsers that drink Bud Lite.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
He ripped into the Dev team back in 2005 after seeing how over the top the game was in 2004 (when they tailored the gameplay around Michael Vick) - I remember seeing a piece on ESPN about it. It'd be cool for them to put him back on the cover, but only after they get the game right

Yes he did and thats why 2005 was the year of the D.(Ray lewis cover.)
Old 05-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 12

***8220;**** that and **** you people. Either we do it ****in***8217; right or we don***8217;t ****in***8217; do it at all.***8221;
EA should remember this quote when the attempt to add a new feature or mode! It should be their wallpaper
!

Last edited by TDKing; 05-14-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #24
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
We really don't know what he thinks of the game, good or bad. And even if we did, I'm not sure that I would put much stock in it.

He isn't a gamer. He may know Football, but he doesn't know game mechanics. I would think that his critiques would be more along the lines of are these real NFL plays, versus something simply gameplay related.

For example, I'm sure he was thrilled with the product back in 89. It was 11 on 11. Had real teams, players, had pro type plays. Did that game play realistically? Not so much.

Now obviously tech was different back then and not as capable, but somehow I doubt if John gets into what is capable today and really demands that the game reflect that.

Bottom line, I'm not sure if we should be really put too much stock in whether Madden is happy with the state of the game, considering he gets paid. There's probably a lot of Miller Lite endorsers that drink Bud Lite.
To make my point simpler, if someone interviews Madden about Madden, he will promote the game, not demote it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »