Home

First NHL 12 Video Posted, New Release Date Set [UPDATE: Extra Info Added]

This is a discussion on First NHL 12 Video Posted, New Release Date Set [UPDATE: Extra Info Added] within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17
First NHL 12 Video Posted, New Release Date Set [UPDATE: Extra Info Added]

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

IGN checks in today with the first hard info about NHL 12. The coverages includes a first-look preview, and an EA-created video featuring NHL 12 line producer, Sean Ramjagsingh.

As of now, it looks like presentation, physics and chaos are the highlights so far. The video shows off big checks that send players through glass, onto benches and into goalies. The video also seems to be showing off some nice pregame presentation touches for (at least) the Winter Classic, which was earlier confirmed to be in the game via the first screen released for NHL 12. Lastly, stuff like helmets being knocked off and goalies being able to fight goalies highlights some of the chaos we can expect to see in the game this year.

The IGN preview highlights a lot of small things (or big ones, depending on your viewpoint), including new TSN/Versus styled in-game overlays, an NHL GameCenter-like summary system in the pause menu, jockeying for position in front of the goalie, and general discussion about how goalies will act differently and fight to look through screens and jumbled messes in front of the net.

Jockeying for position in front of the net and interacting with goalies are two big elements that should add a lot to the game, but I can't help but be a bit concerned about all the big checks and so forth shown in the first video. NHL 11 was a great game, but the physical play got more and more out of hand as the season went on this year. It's going to be important that the developers figure out how to balance out the chaos and checking with sound defensive plays and proper positioning. If the game once again devolves into going for open-ice checks because it's the easiest and most effective way to play defense, then the developers will have missed an opportunity to properly show off the type of physical play that is really important in the NHL. It is those moments in front of the net where you fight for position or battle for a rebound that are truly important if you want to get a win.

As for the release date, the video showed that the new release date for NHL 12 is September 13, 2011. This is only a week later than last year, which is surprising and yet not at the same time. EA does seem to want to sync up its video games with the start of the real sport's season, but unless FIFA's release date changes from late September in the US, NHL 12 can only be so close to October before it starts to get sucked into FIFA's release-date window.

Operation Sports will be at E3 this year to get a look at NHL 12, so stay tuned for more coverage in the coming weeks.

Source - The Little Things Count in NHL 12 (IGN)

*UPDATE*

We received a press release that sheds a bit more light on a couple things:

Be a Pro mode updated:

Quote:
In the revamped Be a Pro mode, experience the pursuit of greatness and legendary moments in your playing career, shatter historic records and cement yourself in NHL history. Additionally, the better you play, the more ice time you’ll get where you can simulate to your next shift so you’re always on the ice as you play out your entire career in pursuit of the Stanley Cup.

Presentation touches:

Quote:
All new gameplay presentation creates an authentic, fresh new look and feel throughout NHL 12 with presentation graphics that mimic real life hockey broadcasts. For the first time ever lace up outdoors under the lights in one of the biggest hockey events of the season, the 2011 NHL Winter Classic® at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, within seconds of putting in the disc. Inspired by the NHL GameCenter Ice Tracker, the all-new EA SPORTS Action Tracker simulates action without missing a beat with a shift-by-shift breakdown of stats and key moments leading up to your next shift.

Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Last edited by Roggie; 05-24-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Rookie

mike10003's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: What's new in NHL 12? Video

And from the article, apparantly presentation is tailored to look more like Versus!

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1170039p1.html
Old 05-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Rookie

PhillsPhan26's Arena

OVR: 19

I can't wait.....
Old 05-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Why does every IGN article start with a soliloquy?

Good info once I got past this guy's life story, though.

-- puck marks on goalies' equipment over the course of a game.
-- in-game presentation similar to how Versus and TSN present their games.
-- players jockeying in front of the net for position react more realistically
-- realistic net mooring physics
-- goalies are now fair game for being hit and contacted by skaters
-- goalie fights!
-- helmets can be knocked off from hard hits
-- break the glass with checks and shots
-- real players visible on the benches
-- checking players into the benches
-- winter classic

Last edited by jyoung; 05-24-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Not sure why they feel it necessary to show the most arcadish elements in the trailers. With all the people requesting authenticity and more realistic gameplay, you would think you wouldn't want to show a play being checked through the glass. How often does that happen? Players going into a helicopter spin after being hit, blah.

On the positive side, it sounds like the Presentation got a boost, but how much of a boost? Also, the jostling in front of the net is cool, but I really hope the penalty system is in line and Interference is called properly. All players on the bench, yeah, wonder if the got 2 refs and 2 linesmen as well? Doesn't sound like the Winter Classic will be played in BAGM, but we'll see.All and all, not bad, but not great, but still early so....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20

Is the video crashing on anyone? I cant get IE or Firefox to load the video. Both browsers crash.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Not sure why they feel it necessary to show the most arcadish elements in the trailers. With all the people requesting authenticity and more realistic gameplay, you would think you wouldn't want to show a play being checked through the glass. How often does that happen? Players going into a helicopter spin after being hit, blah.

On the positive side, it sounds like the Presentation got a boost, but how much of a boost? Also, the jostling in front of the net is cool, but I really hope the penalty system is in line and Interference is called properly. All players on the bench, yeah, wonder if the got 2 refs and 2 linesmen as well? Doesn't sound like the Winter Classic will be played in BAGM, but we'll see.All and all, not bad, but not great, but still early so....
I believe from this and knowing how Madden 12 is all about presentation and the little things that NHL 12 is following madden's footsteps. I am waiting to hear them reveal more presentation news like maybe team specific intros
Old 05-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

Zzzzzzzz..

Goalie fights for first time ever? Checks in the bench? Broken glass? Jostling for position in front?

hahahaha

Goalie fights were in NHL 2004, did they forget about their own history? Jostling was in NHL 2004 as well, tie up button caused this to occur in front. Broken glass, hello NHL 93.. Checks into bench, hello i think NHL 95 and up..

Im glad this stuff is finally getting back in the game etc, but man, with the gameplay needing fine tuning big time just makes me scratch my head.

Heck, now the goalies can get mauled over, i cant wait to see all the dumb penalties or lack there off and goals scored off of it.

Big announcement? Hmmmm, please be a gameplay related fix. I doubt it though, more likely online dynasty for once.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »