Home

First NHL 12 Video Posted, New Release Date Set [UPDATE: Extra Info Added]

This is a discussion on First NHL 12 Video Posted, New Release Date Set [UPDATE: Extra Info Added] within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #17
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: First NHL 12 Video Posted, New Release Date Set (UPDATE: Extra Info Added)

I think a lot of the big things NHL has to do is more major tuning issues rather than overhauls like FIFA needed in a couple areas. NHL and FIFA are both implementing a physics engine, it just seems like FIFA had a little head start/bigger team working on it to make it come faster to their series perhaps.

I think jockeying/goalie interactions are HUGE, and I'm really excited about those elements, but it all needs to be weighted properly to work right and really add a huge layer of depth and strategy to the game. You need a reason to use more play styles and styles of players in the game, and something like physical play down low would help that.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #18
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: What's new in NHL 12? Video

It's good to hear they got the simulate to the next shift feature in for BAP. I asked them about the ice-time issues early on in BAP (ie, too much TOI and always on PP/PK) and it was linked to not having the tech in place to simulate to the next shift within the current simulation engine. They felt most people would not want to be sitting on the bench watching play, which we would do a lot of with realistic ice time.

I don't want to mislead anyone, so please know this is only my speculation based on a few conversations with devs last year -- Gurn straight up told me they wanted to completely rewrite it, but weren't able to for 11 -- but this EA Sports Action Tracker sounds like it could be part of a new sim engine:

Quote:
Inspired by the NHL GameCenter Ice Tracker, the all-new EA SPORTS Action Tracker presents game highlights and key moments so you never miss a beat.
To me, this doesn't sound like something they could simply tack on to the existing simulation logic. In fact, it seems just the opposite. Fingers crossed...

A significant presentation upgrade wouldn't surprise me. The process was underway last year from what we were told at the community event, but very little made it into 11. They were working with one of the biggest consulting companies for broadcast packages (Troika, I think) to develop a more consistent & appealing style. It seems the other EA Sports titles are moving in the same direction.

I can't comment on anything from video... IGN blocked here at work.

Last edited by Qb; 05-24-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule
BAP is getting a big upgrade this year apparently.

From there press release:

I'll agree with you though that these upgrades won't matter much if the basic fundamentals like the AI, skating, ect. don't have big improvements. If the offline play doesn't feel like a big step up (I don't even play offline really because I can't stand the AI), then the game isn't that significant of an update since the flashy new features will get old quickly.
Wow interesting, didn't see that before. Well it's certainly a step in the right direction to bring some life into that mode, although I'm afraid it's just going to make it a bit of an arcade mode. Instead of shattering records I think people want to see a realistic progression of your player a long with the ability to be traded and what not. Although playing for ice time and such is definitely a plus.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 6

Check out some more info from these sites - http://www.sportsology.info/EA-SPORT...ES-FOR-NHL-12-

And NHL 12's official site - http://www.ea.com/nhl/1/nhl-12
Old 05-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 6
Like pretty much everyone else here I didn't see much to get me terribly excited like madden or NCAA, but it's still early. That's about the only positive I come away with. Goalie collisions look pretty ridiculous. I don't think there have been hits like that on goalies more than 5 times. And I have a feeling jostling in front of the net will end up in too many stupid penalty calls. And is hienz field the only place you can play the winter classic?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #22
Canadian eh?

SinisterAlex's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike10003
And from the article, apparantly presentation is tailored to look more like Versus!

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1170039p1.html
They finally have the proper amount of players and coaches on the bench as well.... took them long enough!

I just hope though, from that video, that the hits are toned down... I don't think I can take another year the these "every hit is a BIG hit" type hits... really annoying.

Also I love the new stuff in front of the net, I play a 6'3" center and I'm always parking myself in front of the net for screens and tips, this will make going there even more fun!
Old 05-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #23
pissed, or parkinson's?

adayinthelife's Arena

OVR: 22

I'm looking forward to seeing how/if the physics engine has improved as far as player on player contact, as well as how the puck feels. I actually think the jostling in front of the net stuff could be interesting, if implemented well.

I'm pretty happy that the goalies are "live" for the simple fact that it will make those big rushes and tight breakaways that much more exciting and realistic. I can absolutely see how this is going to be an issue in the online side of the game however, which is what most of you guys don't like about it I assume?

As an offline sports gamer, I really, really, REALLY hope that the game is not shipping tuned completely for online. Honestly, at first the tuners seemed like such a genius idea, but in the end I seem to just go back to the original since virtually all the changes that are made are geared 100% for the online side of things. I guess my biggest fear is the core of the game being tweaked for that crowd.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 24

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I love what I see! Looks more realistic to me, especially The battles in front of the net.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »