Home

2K Sports Will Not Release NHL 2K12

This is a discussion on 2K Sports Will Not Release NHL 2K12 within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman
Brutal. So disappointed. On the same day that EA pulls out a VERY underwhelming feature video.
Disagree. NHL 12 looks pretty good and there are a lot of visual upgrades. Seeing as I was very happy with NHL 11 I cannot wait for 12.

NHL 2k9/2k10 were disappointing at best. Let's wake up and not just be generic EA haters. Their hockey games are great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: 2K Sports Will Not Release NHL 2K12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt7749
Disagree. NHL 12 looks pretty good and there are a lot of visual upgrades. Seeing as I was very happy with NHL 11 I cannot wait for 12.

NHL 2k9/2k10 were disappointing at best. Let's wake up and not just be generic EA haters. Their hockey games are great.
Agreed. The series lost its way a bit in the early PS2 days, but EA has done a great job of reviving it.

New York Giants- 1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007.

PSN ID- matt8204
Old 05-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 6
Yeah, a Bummer for sure...

For the uninitiated... Everything that EA has done with their series, has come from 2K Hockey... from the Defensive skill stick, the R-Stick skill-stick, the 1-on-1 R-Stick dekes, the different faceoff options, (you could do all that in the 2K series years ago..), I could go on with more, but...

...and now EA has the 'crash the goalie' and 'net-off-moorings'. This was ALL done in previous iterations of 2k hockey...

EA, I give them credit here, just stole everything and made it BETTER!

I just wish 2K continued w stronger 'Production' leadership.. They had a game in the making that if done right would have mirrored the 2k vs EA NBA outcome...
Old 05-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Guess I'll be playing NHL 2k10 with Fiddy's rosters.

Horrible news though.. I was really wishing on a 2 year development hockey game from 2k.
I'm really interested to know if they were actually working on a game for the past 2 years, or was that just 2K whistling dixie?
The comments from Paul (senior marketing dude at 2K) had me believing they were actually working on it. Who knows?

I'm not sure I want to know. If I found out that this game was nearly finished and it had a deep My Player, etc, etc. I'd probably cry.

I loved Fox Championship Hockey for the PS2. It only got one year. But a former developer commented on 2khockey.net that they were 3 months from finishing the sequel and all he said was "you should have seen what was in store".
The lead producer for NHL Slapshot worked on FC2000 as well, and during my short interview with him about Slapshot, he echoed the sentiment saying that the sequel was awesome.
That was painful to hear. I really enjoyed FC2000.

At this point it doesn't matter. But I'd bet that they weren't even working on 2K12 at all.

Last edited by Money99; 05-25-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #29
Rookie

sYn Shepard's Arena

OVR: 14

I'm not that upset with the let down of the NHL 2k series. I'm a huge NBA 2k fan, and I think 2K sports is dominating the game industry with basketball.

Hockey being cut from the line-up may help boost funding to the other games 2k has to offer.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #30
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

Although I'm very disappointed at this news, I can't say I didn't see this news on the horizon. Hopefully Natural Motion's IceBreaker releases later this year and fills the void.

Looking back, I think the team should've built on what 2K8 provided instead of scrapping it entirely in a one-year process. The series suffered from a lot of major overhauls from 2K6 through 2K10, which may have wasted more resources than was needed.

Wish I could elaborate a bit more, but I would only be echoing what else was said. Facepalm city.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #31
Rookie

PhillsPhan26's Arena

OVR: 19
WOW I was under the impression that 2K Hockey took 2011 off to work more on a better product to compete with EA in 2012... I guess that wasn't case.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #32
All Star

OVR: 13

Disappointing news, but I guess this means we won't be seeing any 2k hockey for the forseeable future. EA's hockey is okay, I just always preferred 2k.

I keep hoping (maybe in vain) that 2k can get all of their sports products up to the level of NBA2k, but I guess that's asking too much...

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »