Home

Nintendo Announces New Console: Wii U

This is a discussion on Nintendo Announces New Console: Wii U within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10
Nintendo just pulled a Dreamcast. Watch Sony and Microsoft announce they are working on new consoles next year and once again leave Nintendo in the dust.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 22
I'm extremely excited about the wiiU! I blogged about the possibilities of this system for sportsngamng when it was code named-the project cafe. This will be an excellent addition to gaming and I for one can't wait to see the innovations they have made to their online offerings.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperhare
Nintendo just pulled a Dreamcast. Watch Sony and Microsoft announce they are working on new consoles next year and once again leave Nintendo in the dust.
haha I dont think nintendo was ever in the dust sir. If I recall it's Sony and microsoft that spent this e3 and last e3 just trying to catch up with motion controls while the wii sold like craaazy. now with the Wii U you get beautiful graphics and yet another inovation from nintendo that's gonna have Sony and microsoft yet again scrabbling to keep up. sure they might have even better graphics in two or three years but seriously I think graphics are at the point now where any improvement won't really be groundbreaking. Just Imagine what Nintendo can do now that it has all this third party support lined up along with the some of the best first party titles available. THings are lookin good for the BIG N
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2
Its interesting because Nintendo won the console wars with the Wii selling so well but it never translated into third party developers jumping on the system and getting big software sells. The Wii u looks to solve that problem with hardware thant can handle the Maddens, Assasins Creed and Arkam City of this hardware generation. The question is what will third parties do with the Wii u controller. Nintendo has always figured out how to make games fun with their out of the box controller designs see the Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Wii and even Virtual Boy. Third parties no so much which is why those systems lacked the support. If other developers outside of Nintendo can't find ways to use the new controller then what is innovative becomes cumbersome.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #13
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10
Who cares about motion controls? They are gimmicks that won't make gamers happy until they deliver 1:1 movement recognition. Nintendo might have sold a lot of consoles, but how many of those people never bought anything other than 1 or 2 games?

And squadron supreme are you paid by Nintendo? The Wii, 64, Gamecube all have terrible controllers. And the Virtual Boy is one of their biggest flops.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:24 AM   #14
MVP

waytofailself's Arena

OVR: 3
You all seem to be shooting from the hip, so let me drop some knowledge on you all (but post #13 is too far down to read):

1) The controller is not the system. There is a separate console. The console also allows for use of wii remotes, nunchucks (so you don't have to throw away those controllers), but the Wii U tablet is the peripheral they wanted to focus on today. It is single touch -- but then again you do have buttons all around it to do what a lot of multi touch phones wish they could do.

2) The Wii U is stronger than the PS3/360. Initial reports say the tech inside the machine is very powerful. Substantially more so than the current HD systems. And its output is 1080p from the box. The demos they showed today were 360/PS3 footage because the builds for the games are still early. But all indications are that the system is stronger than any non PC system currently available.

3) Currently only 1 tablet can be used to control the game at a time. This will make local multiplayer pretty awkward when one person has the benefit of calling plays in a sports game on the tablet and the other on a TV. hopefully it doesn't stay this way.

4) The system does not have an internal hard drive. However, it does support attaching an external hard drive via USB.

5) The dreamcast comparisons are overblown. Getting out the gate early didn't hurt MS with the 360 did it? The same comparisons were levied there. No, the Dreamcast failed for two reasons 1) financial blunders by SEGA that far predated the Dreamcast, and 2) rampant piracy. All you needed was a CDR and a burner.

6) This thing won't be coming out til next year. Probably not until after the next E3. Expect more game reveals and stuff then -- today's announcement was more of a "this is what's coming."

I'm kinda excited about it, but it won't be a day 1 purchase. I'm still very miffed at Nintendo for saying nothing about Xenoblade NA localization. I've been waiting on that for a looong time, and it's already translated to English for a EU release.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:24 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 2
@sniperhare
You missed the whole point. The best games on all of those systems even the virtual boy were all Nintendo first party titles and used the unique controller for each system well. The various Zelda's, Mario's and Super Smash Brothers all played well it was the third party games which struggled on how to best utilize the controller. Nintendo has a track record for getting the most out of its controllers other developers don't thats a fact. With the Wii u controller I can see Nintendo doing some cool things with it other developers not so much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperhare
Who cares about motion controls? They are gimmicks that won't make gamers happy until they deliver 1:1 movement recognition. Nintendo might have sold a lot of consoles, but how many of those people never bought anything other than 1 or 2 games?

And squadron supreme are you paid by Nintendo? The Wii, 64, Gamecube all have terrible controllers. And the Virtual Boy is one of their biggest flops.
apparently microsoft and sony care about motion controls they wasted most of their e3 on it lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »