Home

NBA 2K12 Shoots For Another Title With the Help of Digital Dirk (ESPNTG)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K12 Shoots For Another Title With the Help of Digital Dirk (ESPNTG) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: NBA 2K12 Shoots For Another Title With the Help of Digital Dirk (ESPNTG)

Is there any question that this is the best sports game hands down. Nothing comes close to how great it is.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: NBA 2K12 Shoots For Another Title With the Help of Digital Dirk

Wrong thread. Lets talk about 2k here.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 22
Re: NBA 2K12 Shoots For Another Title With the Help of Digital Dirk

Only things I really want to see improved:

Player Models:

Some player still look like linebackers. Some players are really muscular but arms of muscular players in 2k always look way too big. First player that comes to mind is Ronnie Brewer. Dude looks like he's got Big Black biceps lol

Player Movement:

I still feel like lateral quickness is misrepresented. There aren't alot of stopping on the dime type plays that occur in the 2K, everything feels a little slow. Even when Dirk drives, he has the ability to suddenly stop and pop, something that can't be done in 2k11. Also the motion still feels clunky. I hate that when I push the stick right once to adjust, he takes like 4 steps. Or when I'm trying to back the ball out but I keep getting that stupid animation where you bump into the defender. Very frustrating sometimes when you can't move to the spot on the floor you wanna go.

More shot animations (Sig and generic):

Alot of players need an overhaul on their in-game shot. As well, I want to see more animations and less glitchy ones for contact shots around the rim. I feel like there are alot of weird animations that occur around the basket when going up for a shot that need to be fixed. Also of course, more dribble animations and more reaction animations by defenders.

Random:

I still feel like the graphics in this game don't feel all that real. Would like to see more facial expressions, moving hair for players like Dirk. Better jersey textures. Better lighting and definition on player bodies. Also, more dynamic atmosphere in the arenas. If it's the Finals, I want it to feel like the Finals. Didn't feel like that to me in 2k.

Overall 2k11 was an amazing game, but there is still so much room for improvement.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #20
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
That's nice to read, but come on! Next year they will be disgusted with some things from 2K12, etc. etc..

I know the game becomes a bit better every year, but if you're totally disgusted with what you had last year, why didn't you fix it last year? It just seems a bit exaggerated (marketing wise) with all the disgusting...

Anyway, I'm curious to see what changes were made to the graphics. I'm not taking these screenshots too seriously, because if I do, I would know what graphics are 95% the same. But I'm waiting for some screenshots from an older build...and hopefully it's going to be different.
Disgusted may be a bit hyperbolic, but I get, and love their mindset. My sense when I hear or read stuff from Rob, Mike, or Erick is that they simply run out of time every year, so they just have to lock things down when that deadline arrives. They know that they have made a lot of quality improvements to the title, but they know that there's much more to be done.

I got the feeling from some other development teams in the past that they were totally happy with their gameplay and A.I. work every year, and they are completely stunned when the fans don't agree. Maybe they were under corporate mandate not to express dissatisfaction with the prior years work, but I don't think that that was always the case.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #21
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Disgusted may be a bit hyperbolic, but I get, and love their mindset. My sense when I hear or read stuff from Rob, Mike, or Erick is that they simply run out of time every year, so they just have to lock things down when that deadline arrives. They know that they have made a lot of quality improvements to the title, but they know that there's much more to be done.

I got the feeling from some other development teams in the past that they were totally happy with their gameplay and A.I. work every year, and they are completely stunned when the fans don't agree. Maybe they were under corporate mandate not to express dissatisfaction with the prior years work, but I don't think that that was always the case.
Well Stated Solo. I don't know why guys think its a conspiracy against the gamer with 2k every year LOL. Is it that difficult to understand that time, resources, and priorities mean that SOMETHING will not get upgraded to the degree that they would like. Then mix in the time you want them to take to test what does get put in the game and you can easily see that every year there are going to be things that can be done better or taken farther.

Last edited by Da_Czar; 06-16-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #22
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

Of course they don't have enough time for everything they want/we ask for. but anyway, I don't know if they were really disgusted or it's just a marketing tool, but it sounds a bit too much. And when they focus more on Nowitzki - it's like they're trying to ride the Finals hype. I love 2K and own many of their games, but this was a bit...ummm...silly to read.

And again, I do hope the game gets big boost in other areas than gameplay as well. This may be the area where EA pushed 2K to unpgrade - against 2K's will (or so it seems to me). From 2K8 to 2K9 we've seen some nice graphical upgrade, but after 2K9 it's pretty much the same to me (yeah, player models and better lighting is not everything...).

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 06-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #23
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
Of course they don't have enough time for everything they want/we ask for. but anyway, I don't know if they were really disgusted or it's just a marketing tool, but it sounds a bit too much. And when they focus more on Nowitzki - it's like they're trying to ride the Finals hype. I love 2K and own many of their games, but this was a bit...ummm...silly to read.

And again, I do hope the game gets big boost in other areas than gameplay as well. This may be the area where EA pushed 2K to unpgrade - against 2K's will (or so it seems to me). From 2K8 to 2K9 we've seen some nice graphical upgrade, but after 2K9 it's pretty much the same to me (yeah player models and better lighting is not everything...).
Sometimes I think were just reading way too much into some comments. I def won't speak for anyone but there were def some parts of the game they were not happy with at all. That was as of last year when the game released so it's not something they just started making up just to market the game to you.

But at the end of the day were all a bit selfish with what we want from the game right ? I'm included in that also. Many different paradigms so read into it however you see fit. I just try to bring some clarity to situations from first hand interaction.

Gamers are a tuff nut to crack because just like you said of course they don't have enough time for everything you also were of the mindset of why didn't they just fix it last year. Some things we as gamers intellectually understand but the gamer in us is like yeah but screw that just FIXIT. LOL
Old 06-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #24
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

I totally understand what you are saying, Czar, yet we've all have become too much of...gaming scientists. Many people would analyze every little detail in the gameplay and how this changed and to what extent and what is needed and what little touch would make it more acceptable and....etc. etc. etc.

I actually think many people have forgot to be gamers, have forgot to look at other things than perfecting the gameplay/AI (which is EXTREMELY important, I'm not saying it's not). Gone are the days when sports games got a big bost year after year in other areas. And that's a shame! We don't buy the whole package anymore. We buy just what seems to be more important. Too bad...

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »