Home

NHL 12: Sim Engine Blog

This is a discussion on NHL 12: Sim Engine Blog within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
NHL 12: Sim Engine Blog

A new blog has surfaced discussing the new and improved Sim Engine in NHL 12.

Quote:
The new Sim Engine was developed entirely in C# (a programming language) which isn’t typically a language used for console game development. Using C# allowed me to quickly set up and prototype various aspects of our new approach without having to worry about integrating it into the consoles until a later date. Anybody familiar with the NHL Development team also knows who Gurndeep Sumal is, our resident stat junkie and all around walking sport encyclopedia. Gurn and I collaborated on prototyping and designing the Sim Engine brick by brick, layer by layer, so that after many months of development, we could prototype any action in a hockey game, and analyze the results using graphical and statistical harness/outputs to ensure we received realistic stats.

For the full blog, click here.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 47
Re: NHL 12: Sim Engine Blog

I like what I just read. Hope it really does make the sim stats more close to real life.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 24

Wow! A wealth of information there that sounds alot more sim than game! Sounding great so far!
Old 06-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

It's great to use attributes in the sim engine but when a sniper has 90 accuracy and an AHL callup has 80 accuracy does it really make a difference?
Old 06-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 31

Hopefully optimistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup4blues
It's great to use attributes in the sim engine but when a sniper has 90 accuracy and an AHL callup has 80 accuracy does it really make a difference?
Hopefully the small difference in numbers will equal a big difference in results.
I can't imagine he's spent all of this time coding it and hasn't made sure it's getting him accurate results.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

This is great, but if the below average - average player ratings are still iffy it will only really be marginally different then what we already get.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Damn, that sounds good. The screens look good as well. Notice that the most games played by a goalie was Luongo with 60? Goalie fatigue?

Of course they leave us with a cliffhanger though, lol. I'm curious what could be so groundbreaking when it comes to the sim engine.

Also, did anyone catch this?

Quote:
1. Game prepares for a Face Off, both teams (assuming it’s not an icing call) have a chance to determine the players on the ice for the coming face off. Each team will field its roster of players based on awareness of the score, face-off circle, and how long the current players have been on the ice. A determination is made as to whether either center behaves in such a way as to require the ref to eject them from the face off, and bring in the left or right winger instead.
Are we getting face-off ejections in-game too?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »