Home

NHL 12 Updated Hands-On Preview

This is a discussion on NHL 12 Updated Hands-On Preview within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: NHL 12 Updated Hands-On Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman
I didn't get to see this stage demo. Did they actually show the game playing in broadcast mode?

Come on EA. Are we really asking for too much?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycd0v...layer_embedded

Check around the 3:00 mark. It looks to be the same old camera angle but I could be wrong
Old 07-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
Pro

jaiman's Arena

OVR: 5
I must have missed that video. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that angle looks much improved! I could work with that one if that is not just a replay camera.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #19
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman
I must have missed that video.
I also missed seeing this video.

The thing I was really watching for was how aggressive the cpu was defensively. And overall, I think it is better with what I saw in this video. The cpu players, defensemen and back checking forwards....at least seem to be more aggressive towards the human puck carrier. Kinda happy with what I saw.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #20
Canadian eh?

SinisterAlex's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai123
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycd0v...layer_embedded

Check around the 3:00 mark. It looks to be the same old camera angle but I could be wrong
That clip to me looks like just a reply not an actual "camera". The camera stays in one spot and doesn't move at all.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 10

My biggest problem is that meat and potato things like dump and chase and defense 101 still don't look right in the videos.. sometimes I think this should be the "KHL" series..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #22
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles
they really need to put a camera in the net for realism especially with all the contact that will happen with the new goalie physx and replays to decide if the goal stands or not. i mean with us being able to now make contact with the goalie and the net can come off its mournings this will make goal review a lot more interesting and the best replay view is the overhead or the one in the net.
I mean I don't think that would work from a gameplay standpoint, but it's just one of a billion things that could add to the presentation. I love those shots where the in-net camera shows the goalie being crashed into on replays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Great write-up Chase.
I loved hearing how you felt certain players had different strengths and the strategy that goes with those advantages.
Can you comment if you saw the CPU use it's players accordingly as well? Did you notice playing against a bruising defenseman compared to a more passive, slick dman (Chara vs Lidstrom)?
Or what about the different type of forwards? Did you see a difference between a sniping forward, a playmaker or a grinder?
Thanks!
I still mostly played human versus human games. I also didn't really play against any "iconic" defensemen that would really stick out besides Doughty -- but, again, I was the Kings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32
Nice write up Chase. Question you may be able to answer, is there a broadcast cam in this year? They really need to add this. I hope they did.
I should have written this one down since I think people asked about this at E3 as well, but I just forgot. So the answer is, not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnprestonevans
I fear that this is the year that NHL is no longer the defacto #1 sports game as it has been for nearly 5 years now. The big issue seems to be its TV-broadcast presentation - or lack thereof. I think the NHL team has played it safe these past few seasons since establishing arguably one of the best playing sports games of this generation. Marginal improvements to the AI and physics engine are most welcome, but I feel like NHL has looked the same as it did a few years ago. I know there have been new animations and minimal graphical upgrades since 09, but nothing drastic. The biggest problems now are with the out-of-date camera system, repetitive commentary and abscence of true telecast elements that many leading-edge sports games are incorporating into their product.

I loved NHL these last few years, but its begining to show its age. None of the changes this year sound like they are improving enough to make me involunarily spend $60. Im tired of the same looking, and generally same playing game every year. Its a fun pick up and play sports game for sure, but I'm happy with playing the 3 year old version I own. The EA NHL team needs to blow out its TV style presentation - badly.
I continually make a general point with sports games, so I should probably just reiterate it here. What the NHL team is doing is smart from my perspective. They have a clear idea about where they want to go with gameplay, and they clearly put lots of their resources there for the tech and general development of the on-ice action.

From there, they seem to look at modes and other things dealing with longevity of the product. After that, then it seems like presentation comes into play.

Again, I love presentation, and I absolutely believe they should be doing more (WAY more), but it still has to be a secondary objective when compared to some of those other things above. And, then as for the folks who talk about a lack of evolution, I feel like you get the base and you build on that base. NBA 2K, NHL, The Show -- I probably would even throw FIFA in there as well now -- are titles that have thrived and become beloved for sticking to their core concepts and building on them on a yearly basis rather than going for these "massive" headline changes on a yearly basis. Sometimes it means you get less press and so forth -- or more misunderstanding in the general public -- because there's not as much to tout on the gameplay front, but it doesn't mean there are not sizable differences at work that are certainly changing gameplay for the better.

That being said, I'm not saying you can't just enjoy an old NHL title from this generation. They are way different at this point to me, but I certainly still have some fun with an older NHL title -- the series does age relatively well for a sports game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
At least the impression that I'm getting out of Chase's review is...[not to put words in Chase's mouth]...that nothing about the game really impressed him too much. And I'm personally thinking that just possibly, the NHL game maybe losing a bit of the momentum it's built up the last few years.

The NHL game is currently, the only sports game I play. So obviously I dig the heck out of it...and am looking forward to 9/13. But again...I guess I'm just hoping that EA Canada isn't getting a bit too comfortable with this imo, excellent sports game.
I don't mind if you put the words in as long as I can spit them out.

I think another thing at work here is that NBA 2K and The Show, specifically, clearly believe in the TV-style presentation and focus on it a lot. I would argue that neither title really can stand up to what NHL does in the online space both in terms of bringing folks back on a daily basis and in-game performance -- and that's even without a long-term online Be a GM mode, which makes it more impressive in my book -- so it could be a matter of priorities at work here once again.

The NHL guys have never struck me as folks who are just taking it easy. My writing style for previews is just to be relatively down the middle and timid. I write this way because of the general lack of extended hands-on time, so I don't want to lead readers on or anything because it's still sort of a guessing game when writing a preview. I'll write about what I see rather than what I'm told, and, for the most part, I'll try to avoid "projecting" how the end product will look. However, I don't want it to seem like the changes in this year's game couldn't be absolutely huge. Traits/Anticipation could change things in a big way for AI; the physicality around the net could add a whole new layer to the game in OTP while adding new ways to play, score and interact down low; the physics changes could increase "wow" moments while decreasing checking and adding so much more nuance to the title.

BUT

Without extensive playtime, and seeing how it affects AI games, human vs. human and OTP, it's hard to really get too excited or too down before the game actually is released.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:05 AM   #23
Banned

Rogie Vachon's Arena

OVR: 6

Chase,

Did you see the goalies pushing back at all when players were getting in their business?
Or were they the ones always just taking abuse?

How do the goalies play the breakaways?

Can the goalies poke check eny more effectively?

Did it seem like the majority of defelections ended up as goals?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #24
Pro

SGMRock's Arena

OVR: 8
I can see where presentation may be behind a bit in NHL games but to be honest I don't think the NHL has a lot of TV Presentation. I watch over a 100 games a year on TV and really they don't do much but site behind a desk and talk about players and keys to the game. Sometimes they show some replays or between periods they show some replays and talk about what teams need to do better or what they have done well so far.

Its not like the NFL where you see Ray Lewis in the huddle with his team chanting and stuff to pump people up. I'm really not sure where they could do a lot in that area.

Commentary though is a big thing in the NHL. I mean if action is slow good commentators like Doc Emerick will fill the void with good stories and stuff. Times when the game is 6-1 or something you can hear him talking about old times with Eddie or something :P. It would be fun to have more options in play by play commentators but thats a lot of disk space to add more voices.

The one thing I really hate about the commentary though is when you have played a few seasons and they are saying canned stuff about your team or players that doesn't apply anymore 3 or 4 seasons into a be a gm or be a pro mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »