Home

NHL 12 Video - Be a Pro Revamped

This is a discussion on NHL 12 Video - Be a Pro Revamped within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: NHL 12 Video - Be a Pro Revamped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I understand your points. But if you don't give enough off-ice elements, then it's really no different than simply creating a custom player and playing with player-lock.

When I hear BE A PRO I want everything that encompasses what being a pro is all about.
Money, contracts, fame, agents, rifts in locker room, etc.
For example, they show "NHL" becoming the captain of the Lightning. Big deal.
Other than having a 'C' on your jersey, what good is it.
Is that going to help make more money? Will I have to speak to coaches on behalf of players? Stop squabbles in the dressing room? Will I get stripped of it if I don't perform well, or decrease in player attributes?
These are the kinds of things I'd love to see.

If people get bored with this, then you can skip through it or simply create yourself and play them like everyone else.
But if you're going to add a mode like BE A PRO then let us live the life AS A PRO.
All of it.

Let me have the opportunity to get bored of press conferences, partying, buying cars, demanding trades, firing agents, getting in tiff with coaches or teammates or even getting married and having kids.
I'd rather have the option of getting bored of these things than not having them at all.
Hank brother, I am with you, couldn't have put it better myself. They want to do these modes justice? Go all out, make the person playing the game FEEL like an actual pro athlete on and off the field/ice/court etc etc.

Depth is a wonderful thing.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 4

So you guys want a game like Grandtheft Auto and NHL all mixed into one? That would be pretty awesome, but is not likely to ever happen, or it would cost $200 to buy.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #19
Banned

Jattbreed's Arena

OVR: 1

How are people saying NHL and FIFA are the best Be a Pro modes.

MLB The Show says hello.

Best part about that mode in MLB is that even though you simulate your games, you won't be penalized for that. Makes you actually able to progress in your career.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by speels
So you guys want a game like Grandtheft Auto and NHL all mixed into one? That would be pretty awesome, but is not likely to ever happen, or it would cost $200 to buy.
Hahaha, maybe not that indepth.
But somewhere in between.

The Show and NBA2K11 both have great career modes.
Heck, MLB Power Pro's has a pretty deep My Life mode itself.

I'm just saying it would be nice if we had more options than playing in the CHL and negotiating the odd contract.

Ha, you could even add a "Mrs.Pronger" conundrum. What if you get married and then traded to a small-market team and your better-half doesn't want to be there?

They could even add random events based on your lifestyle.
In NCAA you could choose to go drinking and playing darts with the guys instead of studying or working out.
So let's say you spend the first 3-4 years of your pro career always choosing the 'party' route. Suddenly a random event pops up saying "Caught intoxicated in public" or you endure a Patrick Kane moment where some chick puts a photo of you sleeping in her bed on her twitter account.
Or, like toadiev stated, you get in an altercation with a cabbie.

That might force a teams hand in dealing you (depending on your current worth).

There are lots of possibilities that take some time and a bit of imagination.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 10

Hopefully the grading system is revamped both offline and online. Pretty frustrating when you're playing D and having a good game positional wise but you drop a whole letter grade when you make one bad pass.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
Hopefully the grading system is revamped both offline and online. Pretty frustrating when you're playing D and having a good game positional wise but you drop a whole letter grade when you make one bad pass.
This.
As much fun as the mode was...the stupid teammate AI and the grades really frustrated me.
NFL: Steelers

Old 07-21-2011, 01:53 AM   #23
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Hahaha, maybe not that indepth.
But somewhere in between.

The Show and NBA2K11 both have great career modes.
Heck, MLB Power Pro's has a pretty deep My Life mode itself.

I'm just saying it would be nice if we had more options than playing in the CHL and negotiating the odd contract.

Ha, you could even add a "Mrs.Pronger" conundrum. What if you get married and then traded to a small-market team and your better-half doesn't want to be there?

They could even add random events based on your lifestyle.
In NCAA you could choose to go drinking and playing darts with the guys instead of studying or working out.
So let's say you spend the first 3-4 years of your pro career always choosing the 'party' route. Suddenly a random event pops up saying "Caught intoxicated in public" or you endure a Patrick Kane moment where some chick puts a photo of you sleeping in her bed on her twitter account.
Or, like toadiev stated, you get in an altercation with a cabbie.

That might force a teams hand in dealing you (depending on your current worth).

There are lots of possibilities that take some time and a bit of imagination.
I'd love to see all of the things you've been mentioning, but The Show does none of it other than being able to request a trade. Also, we'll never see anything like your Patrick Kane example with a licensed sports game. The leagues don't want to see things like that in real life, nevermind video games.

The thing is, I really like The Show's RTTS mode and that doesn't have all of that extra stuff. It just plays well and is realistic in that you can't just go out and belt 50 HRs like nothing or instantly be a major league superstar. You have to earn your spot. As long as EA can do something similar for BAP this year, then I'm fine with that, because to be honest, BAP has been pretty terrible the last few years with how the AI of your teammates and opponents acts, how you're instantly a first liner no matter what the situation, and the fact that you can basically just press a button and be back on the ice.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:58 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMRock
I think that this game and FIFA have the best "be a pro" type modes today. NCAA RTG seems like its only geared toward a couple of positions and the same for Maddens Superstar mode.
Lol at that. Im guessing you haven't played NBA 2k11 yet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »