Home

One Kid's Journey to Get on NBA 2K12's Soundtrack

This is a discussion on One Kid's Journey to Get on NBA 2K12's Soundtrack within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #17
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: One Kid's Journey to Get on NBA 2K12's Soundtrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAD3
You want to know why 2K doesn't put those trash songs you listed. Because its a basketball game! Hip-hop is a culture in basketball. The song this guy is rapping is pretty much listing every basketball team. Let the bodies hit the floor has nothing to do with basketball.
Foreverrake, Kanye and Weezy
"Kobe" by Weezy.
Listen to those.
I respect your feelings but I think it's a narrow frame of mind to believe hip-hop is the only type of music to apply to basketball (well, you didn't say "only" but that seemed to be the general thesis). It is my belief that many people take the music they personally like and say, "that's basketball music". For instance, while again I respect your tastes, I wouldn't want to be within 100 feet of the "Forever" or "Kobe" songs while playing or watching basketball.

I do not resist the interweaving of basketball and hip-hop (because a lot of it works for me) but I hardly believe this is the only type of music to represent the game. And this is not just aimed at you, Andrew. It's more in regards to the folks who always seem to assume it's a foregone conclusion that hip-hop and jazz are the only two genres that could possibly apply to the game "because it's so smooth and full of improvisation." As it happens, there is a lot of rock that I feel represents the game well because I also feel the game is made up of high speed decisions and maneuvers with high powered meetings at the rim.

And I guess truthfully, in regards to 2K, I'm not even sure I have to associate the music with basketball. If I have the game in, that means I'm already prepared to play some hoops. I don't need to be motivated by a soundtrack. Rather, I'd just want the menu music to be listenable. And therein lies the problem I suppose, because everyone's musical tastes happen to be so terribly varied.

For me, the pop rap (Drake, Artest, etc.) gets the immediate chop in my 2K games and I try to just make sense of whatever remains. I've been lucky in that 2K has seemed to be able to pique my musical interest on a number of occasions, introducing me to artists throughout the years that I still listen to today (Little Brother, RJD2). Last year alone (2K10), I very much enjoyed Matisyahu, Miike Snow, Ratatat, and MGMT. It made playing 2K without my ipod on very manageable. So with that, I hope their soundtracks continue to hit varied genres with interesting music.

Last edited by VDusen04; 07-21-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
Make it happen Greg Thomas... Give this kid some air time on 2k12
Old 07-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #19
Pro

MMurda's Arena

OVR: 5
cool song...esp for a kid to make it. good to see him doing something constructive. wish him luck on trying to make something happen and going for it.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0

hip hop is officially dead .. i lasted 1min
Old 07-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #21
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAD3
You want to know why 2K doesn't put those trash songs you listed. Because its a basketball game! Hip-hop is a culture in basketball. The song this guy is rapping is pretty much listing every basketball team. Let the bodies hit the floor has nothing to do with basketball.
Foreverrake, Kanye and Weezy
"Kobe" by Weezy.
Listen to those.
Thank you, "Some people" just dont understand hip hop and bball go together more then indie music, not that the music was bad on 2k11, its not appropriate for basketball...

Follow me on www.Twitter.com/Rockchisler

Just type [ SPOILER ] and [ / SPOILER ], without any spaces.

ROOKIE KILLER
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #22
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I respect your feelings but I think it's a narrow frame of mind to believe hip-hop is the only type of music to apply to basketball (well, you didn't say "only" but that seemed to be the general thesis). It is my belief that many people take the music they personally like and say, "that's basketball music". For instance, while again I respect your tastes, I wouldn't want to be within 100 feet of the "Forever" or "Kobe" songs while playing or watching basketball.

I do not resist the interweaving of basketball and hip-hop (because a lot of it works for me) but I hardly believe this is the only type of music to represent the game. And this is not just aimed at you, Andrew. It's more in regards to the folks who always seem to assume it's a foregone conclusion that hip-hop and jazz are the only two genres that could possibly apply to the game "because it's so smooth and full of improvisation." As it happens, there is a lot of rock that I feel represents the game well because I also feel the game is made up of high speed decisions and maneuvers with high powered meetings at the rim.

And I guess truthfully, in regards to 2K, I'm not even sure I have to associate the music with basketball. If I have the game in, that means I'm already prepared to play some hoops. I don't need to be motivated by a soundtrack. Rather, I'd just want the menu music to be listenable. And therein lies the problem I suppose, because everyone's musical tastes happen to be so terribly varied.

For me, the pop rap (Drake, Artest, etc.) gets the immediate chop in my 2K games and I try to just make sense of whatever remains. I've been lucky in that 2K has seemed to be able to pique my musical interest on a number of occasions, introducing me to artists throughout the years that I still listen to today (Little Brother, RJD2). Last year alone (2K10), I very much enjoyed Matisyahu, Miike Snow, Ratatat, and MGMT. It made playing 2K without my ipod on very manageable. So with that, I hope their soundtracks continue to hit varied genres with interesting music.
I hear ya but lets see that fly with NHL Hockey.. Love to here Atmosphere or Royce da 5'9, Never gonna happen. Hip Hop and basketball is a culture together and to not have at least 80 % hip hop and 20 % other is irresponsible, Dont get me wrong I understand why they did it but I'm not feeling it.

Follow me on www.Twitter.com/Rockchisler

Just type [ SPOILER ] and [ / SPOILER ], without any spaces.

ROOKIE KILLER
Old 07-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchisler
Thank you, "Some people" just dont understand hip hop and bball go together more then indie music, not that the music was bad on 2k11, its not appropriate for basketball...
Quote:
I hear ya but lets see that fly with NHL Hockey.. Love to here Atmosphere or Royce da 5'9, Never gonna happen. Hip Hop and basketball is a culture together and to not have at least 80 % hip hop and 20 % other is irresponsible, Dont get me wrong I understand why they did it but I'm not feeling it.
See that's the thing though, this is your opinion and what you like. You're failing to recognize the fact that other people share different opinions than you. There are two sides to every coin, don't be so narrow minded.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd agree with that. I like a small amount of Royce da 5'9'' but I don't think I'd want his music on my hockey or basketball games. And I personally wouldn't mind hearing Atmosphere on an NHL game. Not to disagree completely, but I think it'd almost be irresponsible for gaming titles to cater only to sport stereotypes. I don't want to only hear summer pop punk when playing baseball. I don't only want nu-rock when I play hockey and I certainly don't only want to hear Drake and friends when I play basketball.

It's a funny topic of course, because there's no way a game's musical selection will please everyone. I suppose I'm just saying that I disagree that hip-hop has to be the culture of basketball. It's different for everyone. It's actually one of the things I used to love about the Tony Hawk soundtrack: System of a Down, Audio Two, Johnny Cash, Aesop Rock, Public Enemy, Nas, Sublime, Atmosphere, Anthrax. . .it didn't allow itself to be pigeonholed into what the masses perceived skate culture to be. I'm thankful 2K basketball has done the same.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »