Home

Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 Hands-On Preview - Same Path, Gradual Evolution

This is a discussion on Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 Hands-On Preview - Same Path, Gradual Evolution within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 Hands-On Preview - Same Path, Gradual Evolution

C&VG has posted their Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 hands-on preview.

Quote:
The positional defending system from PES 2011 which, to be fair, has been largely copied by FIFA 12, feels a bit less stiff and robotic. There's a new collision system, too, which reacts specifically to the area of impact triggering unique animations. It's impressive, but less fluid than FIFA 12's new physics-generated Impact Engine.

Best of all, players no longer get 'locked' in collision animations, so you retain control and can still offload the ball, even as your player locks shoulders or stumbles.

Another key change is that the CPU AI applies a lot less mindless pressure, which is to say that the game plays more like a human than a robot, allowing you a bit more time to pick a pass. This works in tandem with the noticeably enhanced new off-the-ball AI, where teammates make dummy runs and overlaps to buy space.

It's a big improvement over the frustratingly stiff PES 2011, where you'd find yourself shouting at the AI to make runs, but the lack of a 'run prompt' button, like FIFA, is still frustrating.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS2 / PS3 / Wii / PSP / PC
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 Hands-On Preview - Same Path, Gradual Evolution

Odd article. Sounded like the writer is a PES fan who was disappointed with this preview version of the game but couldn't bring himself to admit it.

I love PES 11. I play with the player cam, which is far more esthetically pleasing when it comes to watching the player animations. I kind of get a laugh when reading complaints about the animations, because the game and movement looks truly phenomenal from the third-person, pitch-level perspective. Complaints about PES 2011's gameplay don't mean much to me either. I used the various PES editors to globally edit and change player ratings. The fact is most of the issues with PES 2011 are a result of player ratings that are poorly programmed and implemented. Once fixed, it plays a terrific game of football.

I had already decided that unless PES 2012 was an amazing upgrade to this year's game, that I would be sticking with 2011 for another season (I've already updated transfers for 2011-12). This article just confirms what I've always seen for myself: that the improvement with these games is rarely great enough to warrant purchasing them each year. Looks like I just saved myself some money. Although I didn't buy FIFA 11, so I'll probably just end up spending those savings on that game.

Last edited by peigone; 07-25-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

My last wish in life...

I really, really, really, hope, beyond everything else, that they remove or nerf, the through ball button. **** pisses me off like nothing else. This is damn near perfect online without that exploit that is abused by every single person I have ever played. It's damn near, excruciatingly near, of making me join the ranks of the dark side for good.

Last edited by LingeringRegime; 07-25-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTFUNDAMENTALZ
My last wish in life...

I really, really, really, hope, beyond everything else, that they remove or nerf, the through ball button. **** pisses me off like nothing else. This is damn near perfect online without that exploit that is abused by every single person I have ever played. It's damn near, excruciatingly near, of making me join the ranks of the dark side for good.
Yeah, it's way to easy to abuse this. Every team is able to hit Barcelona type passes that shred your backline.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
Rookie

TGraen23's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
Odd article. Sounded like the writer is a PES fan who was disappointed with this preview version of the game but couldn't bring himself to admit it.

I love PES 11. I play with the player cam, which is far more esthetically pleasing when it comes to watching the player animations. I kind of get a laugh when reading complaints about the animations, because the game and movement looks truly phenomenal from the third-person, pitch-level perspective. Complaints about PES 2011's gameplay don't mean much to me either. I used the various PES editors to globally edit and change player ratings. The fact is most of the issues with PES 2011 are a result of player ratings that are poorly programmed and implemented. Once fixed, it plays a terrific game of football.

I had already decided that unless PES 2012 was an amazing upgrade to this year's game, that I would be sticking with 2011 for another season (I've already updated transfers for 2011-12). This article just confirms what I've always seen for myself: that the improvement with these games is rarely great enough to warrant purchasing them each year. Looks like I just saved myself some money. Although I didn't buy FIFA 11, so I'll probably just end up spending those savings on that game.
I find It funny you base your purchase of PES solely on one article on the internet. The changes to Player/CPU AI alone make me want to get PES 2012.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2011, 07:18 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGraen23
I find It funny you base your purchase of PES solely on one article on the internet. The changes to Player/CPU AI alone make me want to get PES 2012.
I said it looks like I won't be buying it, and that it sounds like the changes to the game versus PES 2011 aren't great enough to warrant a purchase. And no, I don't jump to the conclusion that, just because the developers say they fixed the AI, it's actually fixed and/or works any better than before.

I don't sit around and expect these game developers to fix problems from year to year. I do that myself via edits and tweaks. Example: the writer of the article stated that the gameplay in the build he played felt slower and more natural than last year's game, and that there is "a lot less mindless pressure." Well, that can easily be accomplished in PES 2011 by simply globally editing certain player ratings, and tweaking team strategy settings.

I played with an edited roster this past week where I set the difficulty on Top Player, and could walk the ball around my half of the pitch without a single CPU opponent ever coming within several yards of me. Like I said in my previous post, most of the gameplay issues in PES 2011 are a result of badly programmed and implemented player ratings. Sounds to me like all the developers did was tweak those same ratings for 2012. Hardly an innovative and earth-shattering improvement, and certainly not worth purchasing a whole new game for IMO.

Last edited by peigone; 07-26-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTFUNDAMENTALZ
I really, really, really, hope, beyond everything else, that they remove or nerf, the through ball button.
No question that's one of the programming bits that absolutely needs to be reworked, as it can't be fixed with edits and settings. It's one of the worst issues with 2011. Nice to hear though that the stumbling animations have been toned down. That significantly hurt the gameplay as well, although that's a Balance rating issue and can be fixed somewhat by simply editing those ratings.

Last edited by peigone; 07-26-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
Rookie

TGraen23's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
I said it looks like I won't be buying it, and that it sounds like the changes to the game versus PES 2011 aren't great enough to warrant a purchase. And no, I don't jump to the conclusion that, just because the developers say they fixed the AI, it's actually fixed and/or works any better than before.

I don't sit around and expect these game developers to fix problems from year to year. I do that myself via edits and tweaks. Example: the writer of the article stated that the gameplay in the build he played felt slower and more natural than last year's game, and that there is "a lot less mindless pressure." Well, that can easily be accomplished in PES 2011 by simply globally editing certain player ratings, and tweaking team strategy settings.

I played with an edited roster this past week where I set the difficulty on Top Player, and could walk the ball around my half of the pitch without a single CPU opponent ever coming within several yards of me. Like I said in my previous post, most of the gameplay issues in PES 2011 are a result of badly programmed and implemented player ratings. Sounds to me like all the developers did was tweak those same ratings for 2012. Hardly an innovative and earth-shattering improvement, and certainly not worth purchasing a whole new game for IMO.
So you pretty much just proved my point. You're basing your opinion that the game did not have any major improvements on one article. Even though every other article I've read has listed major improvements to gameplay all across the board. Not to mention the 6 videos.

Curious as to what global edits you have made? PC only I assume?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »