Home

NHL 12 Blog - Presentation

This is a discussion on NHL 12 Blog - Presentation within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: NHL 12 Blog - Presentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilermakernet08
Great news that the presentation will (hopefully) be better in NHL 12. Honestly, this is the most exciting news for me since I'm strictly an offline dynasty player and the games get boring about 30-40 games into your season.

Now regarding this quote from the blog:

I'm hoping that in Be a GM the presentation includes overlays representing stats from the 'story' of your season rather than the 'story' of that single game. Maybe I'm just jumping the gun here, who knows. One thing that makes Be a GM get stale so quickly is the fact that you barely know you're playing in a season. It simply feels like you're playing a string of games that have no relation whatsoever. Simple stat overlays that show things like standings, top goal scorers/point leaders and other match-ups that are going on in your dynasty would go a long, long way in making the experience more immersive. If EA could do that, I may actually be able to make it through a full 82 game season.
Right on Boiler! Not only that, but you have to get a pulse for the rest of the league in a certain time span. Like in NBA 2K11, when the guys will talk about the best shooting team for the last 10 games and how a team is doing on the road overall. Even if the commentary is becoming repetitive, there's place for more up to the beat of the season commentary.

In NHL 11, you'll see the scoring leader from both team, but that's it. No mention of the streaks, the hot/cold teams, the playoff races, etc. I'm sure EA can do something about that, it's been asked forever.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #18
pissed, or parkinson's?

adayinthelife's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
The problem with NHL is that the game is now build toward online (EASHL, HUT, etc) and you can't have long intro and long breaks that will make the game last 50 minutes instead of 30.

For me, they should have an offline way to present the game and another one for online. Make people having the choice to live the experience of a full game with presentation and replays, tv-style intro, etc.

Like I said somewhere else here, the problem with that game is that there's too much in it, and they can't have everything polished as it should be. Not an excuse, but when you have to work on 10-12 different modes, you'll have priorities and will left things without touching them that much.
That's what irks me about the series the past couple years. I play the hell out of these games basically year round, but since '09 it's rare that I'll go online.

It really has seemed like the game as a whole feels a touch unfinished in offline modes, simply because all the attention is paid to bull**** OTP and endless tuner sets, which typically do nothing for offline play. I understand there's a large online following, so by all means don't ignore them, I just wish they still gave a **** about offline to the degree that they do online.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #19
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
That's what irks me about the series the past couple years. I play the hell out of these games basically year round, but since '09 it's rare that I'll go online.

It really has seemed like the game as a whole feels a touch unfinished in offline modes, simply because all the attention is paid to bull**** OTP and endless tuner sets, which typically do nothing for offline play. I understand there's a large online following, so by all means don't ignore them, I just wish they still gave a **** about offline to the degree that they do online.
You got all of it right there.

I was playing OTP last night and their was 205 games going on just in OTP. Don't know about the EASHL but that's a lot of people playing the game. They are seeing the online stuff racking up people in August, and say to themselves : It's working!

The pervert effect of these would be if they didn't do a thing about the BaP or BaGM this year after all the complains that went on. It's a fact, BaP and BaGM are unfinished business and they needed an upgrade. They said it's done and BaP will be really special this year. I hope it's the case.

Since EASHL inception, and the success it had, offline modes are left in the back and the reason is simple. You don't sell boost, cards pack and so on with offline mode.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 10

Cool so this will have the little player feature highlights like the ones in 2k10?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: NHL 12 Presentation Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeconstruKt
Another thing they removed that I enjoyed were the national anthems pregame + showing each goalie head to head with their respective stats.

Now it's just them skating in the rink, MAYBE showing one goalie and some random player from the other team, and the stats don't even stay on the screen long, it's like 2 seconds max, you don't even have time to read it.I just miss that back in the day, comparing team stats head to head with goalies/star players, ect.. it felt more brodcast style back in 98-99 than it does now in 2011.

I can see NHL 2013 having that as a "new" feature.

Agree with everything you said! And, for the bolded part, that REALLY bugged me last year. If you're going to show the stats, at least let us read them. It actually ends up being super distracting!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: NHL 12 Presentation Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLegend
I like the fact that they've changed the way replays are dome during breaks in play. No more random replays after a great save or shot! And proper cut scenes during and after goals!!!
I like it too, but I never understood what took them so long to address this minor fix. Normally, play stoppages occur after a scoring chance. So, replay the last save/shot sequence, duh! We ended up getting replays of action that happened in another period.lol It's just funny how they present new features by knocking their previous versions. Like they just discovered replays were'nt working right.smh
Old 08-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #23
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilermakernet08

I'm hoping that in Be a GM the presentation includes overlays representing stats from the 'story' of your season rather than the 'story' of that single game. Maybe I'm just jumping the gun here, who knows. One thing that makes Be a GM get stale so quickly is the fact that you barely know you're playing in a season. It simply feels like you're playing a string of games that have no relation whatsoever. Simple stat overlays that show things like standings, top goal scorers/point leaders and other match-ups that are going on in your dynasty would go a long, long way in making the experience more immersive. If EA could do that, I may actually be able to make it through a full 82 game season.
Like, like, and really like. I clicked the "Like" thingy ten times...but my name only showed up once.

Agree 100% Boiler. It'd be great if the in game presentation included keeping you in touch with the season your playing as well. And not just simply the game at hand. Your so right...the GM season does feel like just a long dragged out series of games. Rather than actually being apart of a league/division.

Other games are proving it can be done. Why not my favorite sports game?....NHL.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Like, like, and really like. I clicked the "Like" thingy ten times...but my name only showed up once.

Agree 100% Boiler. It'd be great if the in game presentation included keeping you in touch with the season your playing as well. And not just simply the game at hand. Your so right...the GM season does feel like just a long dragged out series of games. Rather than actually being apart of a league/division.

Other games are proving it can be done. Why not my favorite sports game?....NHL.
Like I've established before, intermissions can be of certain uses for BeAGM if done right, and not just the stale coaching advice and menu screen thrown at you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »