Home

NHL 12 Trailer - Legends Teaser (This is the "Big" Announcement)

This is a discussion on NHL 12 Trailer - Legends Teaser (This is the "Big" Announcement) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #17
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: NHL 12 Trailer - Legends Teaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeconstruKt
I'd rather have real arenas, updated be a GM and authentic goal horns.
Can I ask you a question? Would real arenas changed the game at all? Would authentic goal horns (which you can customize with playlist on the XBOX) would change that much your experience?

I agree with BaGM. An overhaul of the mode would be much more important priority in my book, but EA is trying to make more money and sell more copies of the game, that they are looking for the same answer people gave with MJ in NBA 2K11.

It's right, EA is always bringing a lot of gimmicks to have people buy the game, while some things that should have been done (arenas, while don't changing the game, should have been taking care of few years ago) but aren't since it's not important in EA's book.

I like that Legend thing. Before questionning the fact it's a Big Announcement, I'll give EA chance to explain what's the possiblity of the Legends in the game.

If it's 30 Legends team that you can swap in BaGM and play with for a few seasons, then EA will have me completely nuts!
Old 08-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #18
Canadian eh?

SinisterAlex's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: "Big" Announcement

Like others, I'll have to wait and see how exactly this is going to work. After all of the hype, and this is the announcement? First reaction, let down.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #19
Rookie

DeconstruKt's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
Can I ask you a question? Would real arenas changed the game at all? Would authentic goal horns (which you can customize with playlist on the XBOX) would change that much your experience?

I agree with BaGM. An overhaul of the mode would be much more important priority in my book, but EA is trying to make more money and sell more copies of the game, that they are looking for the same answer people gave with MJ in NBA 2K11.

It's right, EA is always bringing a lot of gimmicks to have people buy the game, while some things that should have been done (arenas, while don't changing the game, should have been taking care of few years ago) but aren't since it's not important in EA's book.

I like that Legend thing. Before questionning the fact it's a Big Announcement, I'll give EA chance to explain what's the possiblity of the Legends in the game.

If it's 30 Legends team that you can swap in BaGM and play with for a few seasons, then EA will have me completely nuts!
It would change the game for me, that's the reason I enjoyed 2k10.

It's a huge presentation boost, I want to feel like I'm actually on the road in Arenas, Or when I'm at home I actually want to feel like I'm at the shark tank and have the home advantage. The generic arenas do not provide the same feeling.

I added custom goal horns in NHL 11 but they were a pain to set up, and they cut short, ect.

Honestly, there's so many things that could be improved, like the cup celebration, broadcasting style to make it more TV like (like most sports games out there now).. but a legends team? really? chances are this won't even be in next years game (they had that legends habs team in 09 or 10? can't recall).

There's just so much more that can be improved than gimmicks, I always buy the NHL series, hell i own NHLPA 93 for my snes.. But for my 80 dollars this year, I wanted to see more improvements.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 1
I have to agree with Deconstrukt, these presentational elements are a huge factor for me also, I love NHL11 but I don`t get the feeling that I´m on a road trip and playing in a league cause the presentation elements are lacking. I know where they are coming from, and I´`m not against legends at all but if you refer to NBA 2k11 or 2k12 for that matter, they add the MJ thing and have the best presentation of all sports games. Its just frustating that NHL is so lacking in this regard
Old 08-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #21
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6

It's one thing for blasting EA for this and that, what I like is to have some explanations and that's what DeconstruKt did.

I understand what you say and it's obvious that the "presentation style" is lacking from EA games. Just a comparison of what 2K did with NBA 2K11 versus what we have for NCAA 12 or NHL 11 is pretty obvious.

Most of what you ask have been mentionned over the years and I guess that for EA, it's not a priority. They seemed to touch some of the presentation this year, but for guys like you, and versus 2K, I guess it will fall short.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
Good question. Take Mario Lemieux for one second. If Oveckin is a 94 overall in the game, Lemieux should be 115. I mean, Lemieux could score goals with three guys on is back (which is kind of why he had back problem afterward) while undressing any defenseman in the league (would love to watch a 1 on 1 with Hal Gill when Lemieux was in his prime!).

Same thing with Gretzky. If you consider Crosby is one of the best passer in the game and gave him a 99, what will you give to Gretz? Gretz was able to pass the puck from the dressing room while Kurri was waiting in front of the net.

Same thing with the BaP. Best juniors last year we're close to 72-74 if I remember correctly (Hall and Seguin). How would you rate a guy who at 18 years old ended up with 133 goals and 149 assists in 70 games??? Gretz, at 16 years old had 182 points in 64 games. You can't put them in at 75, these guys we're legend in the CHL before proving all their talent in the big level at 18-19 years old.

It's a fact, ratings can always be corrected, but I guess that the Legend things makes it harder on how you balanced everything and the fact that hockey as change.
The game has changed. 182 point season wasn't as rare then with worse goaltending and not as much strategy on the back end to stop players like that.

Your idea of more points also catches a snag on the fact the record for most points in the OHL is 192 by the Bobby Smith, who had a pretty good NHL career but I think would be regarded as somewhat less then Lemieux and Gretzky. In the WHL was Rob Brown's 212. He went on to play a bit over 500 NHL games and score 438 career points. Pierre Larouche managed 157 assists in one season, more than Lemieux's best as well. I think direct stat comparison is your flaw in this arguement.

Sure Gretzky could make amazing passes and I remember watching the elite level of skill he had. It put me in awe whenever I saw him, especially live but Crosby is very special and has been from a young age. I am not so sure that Sid doesn't see the ice near that level. Also Crosby is much more physical and has way better net drive abilities then Gretzky had. Not so sure that he isn't worthy of the rating. As for Lemieux, yeah he could do some great stuff but the guy was one of the NHL's worst skaters his entire career, and was known for his tendency to be a hair lazy. Ovechkin is passionate and quick and can score. Really thats like comparing Mike Bossy and Steven Stamkos, time will tell but these players are all great at what they do and I am not sure we should be so quick to dismiss. I feel like we look back at some of the greats and build them up to be more than they were. The game is so different now then it was then. Ever watched a Classic NHL game on the NHL network, I have tried and the hockey is awful. The skill is terrible. The players of today face much more skill parity then Gretzky or Lemieux did.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #23
MVP

Pezell04x's Arena

OVR: 16

This is what irritates me about EA.

During the first blog they said that there would be a HUGE announcement that would change the way we play the game. I don't see how the addition of a couple of players does this. In fact, it doesn't change the way we play the game at all. There's nothing amazing about this announcement. Will someone really say "Oh, Gretz is in this game I need to go get it?" Doubtful. If that was the case, that stupid Wii game would've sold a bajillion copies.

If you want to do a big announcement, make it something sustainable. Make it an NHL version of Teambuilder. Make it changes to the skating physics. Make it something other than a handful (****, it's not even a full legends team) of legends that can be used with HUT or BE A GM or BE A PRO.

I'm sick of EA coming to us and saying "Look at how new and shiny this is!" when it comes to features that's already been in the game before. OH WOW GOALIE FIGHTS (already done in NHL 06). OH WOW, BROKEN GLASS (already done [again] in NHL 06! It's a tired strategy from this company that they do with a lot of their franchise (outside of FIFA, which seems to be innovative every year) and we eat it up every year.

You know what would be a refreshing announcement? Announcing they got the arenas, uniforms, goalie masks, equipment and ice correct. That would blow my ****ing mind since I've been looking at arenas w/ SD screens where they should have HD screens. How about that? How about the SC Finals patches we were promised a year or so ago? How about playoffs beards? NHL 2K10 was able to implement playoff beards and although they didn't look amazing, it was worth the shot. Also, gather the rights to the TD Garden so I don't have to ****ing see "Boston Bruins Arena" for the 100th time in the NHL series.

Sorry for the rant, but this isn't a big announcement. It's a big disappointment.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 31

I have no issue with adding legends to the game. However its neither gamechanging or the greatest thing since sliced bread and it better have an "OFF" option. I certainly don't want my Bruins BAGM to have Howe, Orr, Borque etc etc all over the league in a 2011 early season October game.

Very disappointing if this is their big "change how you play our modes" announcement.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »