Home

NHL 12 Video - 2 More Legends, Mario Lemieux and Gordie Howe

This is a discussion on NHL 12 Video - 2 More Legends, Mario Lemieux and Gordie Howe within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2011, 02:44 AM   #17
Pro

JezFranco's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: NHL 12 - final 2 legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by derektown
If you don't know they call the Gordie Howe hat trick. Scoring a goal an assist and winning a fight all possible in NHL 12 by EA sports my question is can you get an Achievement for this hint hint EA Sports. I think this Gordie character is serious about his Hockey.
You probably ruined the surprise fro EA now... It gotta be in there.
That was what I was thinking yesterday, if Howe made it to the legends there should be some kind of homage to the Howe Hat Trick.

Thank you EA - This game is officially better than sex
Old 08-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #18
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10
You've got to understand they're putting in "legends" most NHL gamers have seen or are VERY familiar with. That might be why Roenick or Yzerman get the nod. Salming? I have no idea. I guess they thought they had to give the Euros someone.

I expect them to expand upon this next year. Orr and some of the old-timers are no-brainers. They'll probably add some more Europeans.

But I'd love to see some "legends" from my generation: Hull, Leetch, Modano, McInnis, Sakic, Bourque, Messier.

P.S. You better believe I'm putting Gordie Howe in that Aeros jersey. Calder Cup, here we come.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezFranco
You probably ruined the surprise fro EA now... It gotta be in there.
That was what I was thinking yesterday, if Howe made it to the legends there should be some kind of homage to the Howe Hat Trick.
Achievements leaked a while ago, and yes it was in there.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #20
Pro

SGMRock's Arena

OVR: 8
There is no denying that Yzerman is a legend. You should not even talk about Roenick in the same breath as Yzerman. The only reason imho Roenick was included as a legend was because of nostalgia. EA even posted his video of that part in Swingers where they are playing NHL 93 I think it is and Roenick was a beast.

Back to Yzerman though, the guy not only won the Pearson award when he racked up 155 points one season, but he later won the Selke, Conn Smythe and Masterson. Also in 88 he was rammed into a goal post back in the day when the nets didn't come off and had a messed up knee the rest of his career and still did all this. First 18 year old to be selected as an All Star. Played for numerous Canadian teams in World Cups and won a Gold medal on top of his 3 Stanley Cups as a player and 1 as an Executive.

One of only 7 players to get over 600 goals and 1000 assists. (Was only 8 shy of 700 goals) Longest serving captain for one team in NHL History.

The list can go on if you like, the guy was definitely a Legend. Gretzky, Lemieux, and Yzerman were the top 3 players in the league during the 80's and 90's. All 3 of them deserve to be Legends.

Last but not least EA knows what sells games and the Red Wings have probably the largest fan base of any current hockey team due to all the recent success over the past 15 years. So it makes perfect sense to me they made sure Yzerman and Howe the 2 most loved sports players in Detroit history were included in the game.

Last edited by SGMRock; 08-19-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Tito13
Yzerman, Chelios, Salming and especially Roenick were good players, but I don't consider them as "legends".
Yzerman won 3 cups, a gold medal, and is a hockey hall of famer. I don't see why anybody wouldn't call him a legend.

Last edited by KillHammer; 08-19-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #22
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
I don't think Roy need to be there. There were better tenders imo, Cheevers, Dryden, Sawchuk just as a few examples.

Roenick never won a cup, Orr won 2, set scoring records as a defenseman and could outskate just about anyone of his era. Heck I'd even put Hull above JR by a landslide.
Some of these legend choices to me are flat out head scratchers.
Are you serious? I hate the Habs to a point I can get up at night just to awake and make sure I hate them before going back to sleep, but saying that Dryden, Cheevers and Sawchuk we're better, I mean, come on!

In 86 and 93, the Habs won 2 stanley cup because of Roy. If that wasn't for him, they wouldn't have been even close of raising the trophy. Had to this 3 Conny Smythe, and the fact that he's consider one of the best all-time, and that's the definition of a Legend.

Roy is to goaltending what Mark Messier was as a forward. Come playoff times, you knew Roy would be there and carrying the team on his shoulders. Just take a look at the 86 and 93 seasons before playoffs. Two of his worses seasons statistically. What did he do in playoffs? Just be stellar and win the cup plus the Conny Smythe.

Like those who argue with Yzerman, there's no way if Roy and Yzerman aren't Legends that most of NHL players in history can be called that way.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #23
pissed, or parkinson's?

adayinthelife's Arena

OVR: 22

Too bad Lemieux has to wear gear he never wore since they decided to remove some of those options last year. Yes, I'm being that guy, but it's annoying.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #24
MVP

Al_Tito13's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: NHL 12 Video - 2 More Legends, Mario Lemieux and Gordie Howe

KillHammer, did you read all the thread? I think that I explained myself. As there are only 9 of them in the game, I awkwardly used the term "legends" to designate the 10 or 15 greatest players of all time, and I don't consider Yzerman as being one of them. However, if the term "legends" means for example the 50 best players ever, then yes, Yzerman is a legend for sure, no doubt about it. And if you think he deserves to be one of the 9 legends in the game, then fine, I can't really argue with that, everyone has his own opinion about it.

Last edited by Al_Tito13; 08-19-2011 at 02:31 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »