Home

NBA 2K12 Hands-On Preview (Digital Trends) - Shot Reviews Are In!

This is a discussion on NBA 2K12 Hands-On Preview (Digital Trends) - Shot Reviews Are In! within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: NBA 2K12 Preview-Going Retro With NBA's Greatest

At this point it kind of feels like 2K is catering to my most precise requests.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 4

As a 30-something, I can personally testify that I know 3 co-workers buying 2K12 because of the Greatest mode. And those 3 people have never purchased a basketball game on the current gen systems. 90's teams ARE the draw. They have no idea what My Player is or even care about any other modes.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
NBA’s Greatest mode could go a long way toward getting people who have been off basketball games back into them.

I think some people really underestimate the power of this line right here. People chasing newer and younger sales for games sometimes forget that the older demographic once supported an entire industry all by themselves. I.E you can actually increase sales by catering to them also. It not just about getting 9 year old timmy hooked.
Absolutely! This "Legends feature" couldn't come at a better time either! The fact that we're going into a lockout year where a partial (if not entire) season loss is considered to be all but certain, the NBA fanbase is as fragile as ever. Adding all the legends and playing on the "NBA Action is Fantastic" glory is a great way to offer something that WILL appeal to a greater audience, and perhaps keep both your fringe and potential fanbase appeased. Now instead of fans focussing their disgruntled (lockout) anger on owners, players, teams, David Stern, media, etc...they have a means to play out and settle the watercooler, friendly beer, and barber shop debates...what was the best squad of all-time?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

Shot review is a fantastic addition. If only they added Techs, too.

I wish they hadn't doubled up on some Legends (like Pippen, Jordan, Stockton, Malone, West, Magic, etc.) and instead Magic/Kareem were a challenge itself, Pippen/Jordan it's own challenge, Stockton/Malone, West/Russell, etc. If we got 15 "Legends" games with no doubled up, they could've stretched the gimmick even further.

For example:

KAJ/Oscar/Reed/Monroe/Frazier - Bucks vs Knicks
Bird/McHale/Parish/Wilkins - Celtics vs Hawks
Dr J/Moses/Hakeem - Sixers vs Rockets
Ewing/Shaq - Knicks vs Magic
Magic/Worthy/Drexler/Divac - Lakers vs Blazers
Jordan/Pippen - Bulls vs Hornets
Malone/Stockton/Robinson - Jazz vs Spurs
Isiah/Dumars - Pistons vs Bucks
Russell/Cousy/West/Baylor/etc - Celtics vs Lakers
Wilt's 100 point game

That's only 10 games and I only really the Warriors as a team, although I may be off with some. Add a prime Gervin, Iverson, give the Sonics of 96 a game, maybe the 2002 Kings/Lakers (with Webber and Shaq as the "Legends") and add someone else and that'd add to their promo. Maybe next year.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
NBA’s Greatest mode could go a long way toward getting people who have been off basketball games back into them.

I think some people really underestimate the power of this line right here. People chasing newer and younger sales for games sometimes forget that the older demographic once supported an entire industry all by themselves. I.E you can actually increase sales by catering to them also. It not just about getting 9 year old timmy hooked.
Exactly Czar... 80's/90's made the NBA. Why not have legends? Caters to both demographics...
Old 08-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #14
Pro

DurtySoufReppin's Arena

OVR: 4

Shot reviews?

Are You serious?

That's something that didn't even cross my mind

Just imagine hitting a game winner at the buzzer

Just to have it taken away.. Stoudamire style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2-cIn9Fnjs
Grizzlies
Titans
Vols
U.S. Army
Old 08-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 7

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of the Legends mode, but why are poeple acting like this is new to 2k?

2k always had 1950's-1990's players in the game. Up until they added Jordan this year.
Granted you may not have been able to play with the likes of Bill Cartwright, BJ Armstrong, or Bill Wennington, but that's not who people are excited to play the game for.

Young Shaq, Penny, Zo, Run TMC, Hakeem, Ewing, Bird, Magic, Zeke, Russell, Wilt, Dr. J, and all those guys have always been in the game. Some of them even had multiple players (Dr. J 70's with giant fro, Dr. J 80's with mini fro).

It's almost as if 2k repackaged the same feature with a shiny new wrapper and everyone thinks its better. When actually, it's equal to or less than the 2k10 and lower features of all time greats.

the good thing is that 2k isn't just relying on that to impress people, they are actually fine tuning an already great game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #16
Pro

Mr_Riddick's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamangatang2k5
Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of the Legends mode, but why are poeple acting like this is new to 2k?

2k always had 1950's-1990's players in the game. Up until they added Jordan this year.
Granted you may not have been able to play with the likes of Bill Cartwright, BJ Armstrong, or Bill Wennington, but that's not who people are excited to play the game for.

Young Shaq, Penny, Zo, Run TMC, Hakeem, Ewing, Bird, Magic, Zeke, Russell, Wilt, Dr. J, and all those guys have always been in the game. Some of them even had multiple players (Dr. J 70's with giant fro, Dr. J 80's with mini fro).

It's almost as if 2k repackaged the same feature with a shiny new wrapper and everyone thinks its better. When actually, it's equal to or less than the 2k10 and lower features of all time greats.

the good thing is that 2k isn't just relying on that to impress people, they are actually fine tuning an already great game.
hmmmm..... this something I forgot about.. Remember we've never had the whole package, arenas, presentation ect. But you kind of have a point.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »