Home

NBA 2K12 - Between the Lines (Sim Citi)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K12 - Between the Lines (Sim Citi) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #17
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61
Re: NBA 2K12 - Between the Lines (Sim Citi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
so....when will that be? I mean 2k needs as much feed back now...right? right?
LOL I have no idea Goffs.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #18
Plata o Plomo

iLLosophy's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
That is the other side of the coin for sure. Are you talking about step backs to three and out of bounds ILL ? Or step backs where your moving forward ? Do you have some video of that ?

What I saw was mostly me trying a step back right next to the baseline. In real life I would have never tried it but I forgot I didn't have that extra protection.

The hard bumpback animation either doesn't play or only plays when you run directly into the defenses chest. There are so many different animations I am not sure were talking about the same one's when it comes to step backs.

I would encourage you to see how it feels during the demo and provide feedback if it seems unplayable.
I'm talking about the Y button hopstep backwards. Or the one where you are running and you push the shot stick away from the basket. Both end up in similar jump-back-shoot animations, but the first one is the one I used the most to try to get behind the 3pt line without actually running back there (when i first played 2k11, I did sometimes run out of bounds, even with the force field).

(just to clarify, in this post i'm talking about the corner 3 area.)

I think the problem is a bigger issue in that the corner 3pt area in a video game there's a lot less room for error than in real life. I'm 6'2 and i can easily run along the sideline to the corner 3pter, turn around and run back without stepping out of bounds or on the 3pt line. But in video games pasts (not just 2k series), it seems like you had maybe 2-3 pixels to work with before you either step on the line or step out of bounds. But in reality there is a lot more wiggle room there. The force field kind of balanced that out, for if i tried to tap my controller slightly in any direction, i risk my guy doing an animation in which his foot steps on the line.

Have you tried doing triple threat out of the corner and seeing if it results in steps on the line?

Last edited by iLLosophy; 09-04-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 14

I'm all for anything that 2K thinks will improve this series overall. Sounds like it could lead to some unforced errors at first but it should improve realism once we get the hang of it. All in all, this seems like another piece of the puzzle to mimic real basketball, not video game basketball.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #20

Da_Czar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLosophy
I'm talking about the Y button hopstep backwards. Or the one where you are running and you push the shot stick away from the basket. Both end up in similar jump-back-shoot animations, but the first one is the one I used the most to try to get behind the 3pt line without actually running back there (when i first played 2k11, I did sometimes run out of bounds, even with the force field).

I think the problem is a bigger issue in that the corner 3pt area in a video game theres a lot less room for error than in real life. I'm 6'2 and i can easily run along the sideline to the corner 3pter, turn around and run back without stepping out of bounds or on the 3pt line. But in video games pasts (not just 2k series), it seems like you had maybe 2-3 pixels to work with before you either step on the line or step out of bounds. But in reality there is a lot more wiggle room there. The force field kind of balanced that out, for if i tried to tap my controller slightly in any direction, i risk my guy doing an animation in which his foot steps on the line.

Have you tried doing triple threat out of the corner and seeing if it results in steps on the line?
Not the degree where I can say with certainty that isn't a problem ILL. I didn't see it as a negative and there were no instances where I felt cheated but I wasn't down there 20 times a game either. If I play again before the demo I will definitely look into that.

I honestly wasn't aware that people were having an issue with stepping out of bounds in last years game. Let's keep in touch on this issue.

If it turns out to be an issue what besides making the floor bigger can you think of as a solution to this ? Anyone ?
Old 09-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
When the sideline witness protection is turned off. You have a completely different dynamic on baseline and sideline drives to the basket
Great Write-Up

This will be a big adjustment for alot of players. My first thought, as others said, is the corner three. We've all done it, lead pass to your three point shooter in the corner. Even if its a bad pass that the player has to jump up and catch with all of his momentum going out of bounds, the barrier keeps him inbounds.

2k11 did an outstanding job at making the baseline more balanced(2k10 was a baseline barrier party) by adding in animations that would cause a player to lose the ball, pick up their dribble and force offensive players you out of bounds. Now players will have to be extra careful how they appoach the baseline in 2k12

Last edited by TheKasmar; 09-04-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #22

Da_Czar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLosophy

(just to clarify, in this post i'm talking about the corner 3 area.)

I think the problem is a bigger issue in that the corner 3pt area in a video game there's a lot less room for error than in real life. I'm 6'2 and i can easily run along the sideline to the corner 3pter, turn around and run back without stepping out of bounds or on the 3pt line. But in video games pasts (not just 2k series), it seems like you had maybe 2-3 pixels to work with before you either step on the line or step out of bounds. But in reality there is a lot more wiggle room there. The force field kind of balanced that out, for if i tried to tap my controller slightly in any direction, i risk my guy doing an animation in which his foot steps on the line.

On a side note that is much harder to do for me and my size 16's LOL.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #23
MVP

wrestlinggod1's Arena

OVR: 13

As long as we have control of our players and aren't forced into animations, I think it will be fine.

Go MIAMI Teams!!
Old 09-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #24
Pro

Jakeness23's Arena

OVR: 27
with Y controlling post-up/face-up... how do you go about doing a signature gather or a hop step?

PS. Great read, love when a little more strategy is added to the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »