Home

EA Sports NHL 12 Shatters Records in First Week

This is a discussion on EA Sports NHL 12 Shatters Records in First Week within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2011, 03:06 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: EA Sports NHL 12 Shatters Records in First Week

The game is a bug-ridden mess as far as QA goes and every EA PR outlet where this back-slapping release has been seen is being met with a flurry of complaints.

Not had any fatal locks up yet? I'm genuinely happy for you. I didn't either for the first ten days. Now my ongoing season mode freezes - a lot. Mark my words, it will ruin this title for you.

EA should be releasing PRs to apologise for releasing the game in this state rather than bragging about how many customers have been duped.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:15 AM   #10
MVP

steelerfan's Arena

OVR: 1
Sales = Budget = Improvements

Good news.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2011, 03:30 AM   #11
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therion7
The game is a bug-ridden mess as far as QA goes and every EA PR outlet where this back-slapping release has been seen is being met with a flurry of complaints.

Not had any fatal locks up yet? I'm genuinely happy for you. I didn't either for the first ten days. Now my ongoing season mode freezes - a lot. Mark my words, it will ruin this title for you.

EA should be releasing PRs to apologise for releasing the game in this state rather than bragging about how many customers have been duped.
Well it's software, bugs and such are bound to happen. I most likely won't experience a freeze for a couple of reasons. One, because I like to wait until the rosters are pretty well updated and have the rookies. Two, because I know there will be a patch that most likely fixes the issues or most of them around October (will probably be waiting on the rosters still anyways).

As I posted elsewhere, this is nothing new to this series or basically any sports game, so I'm not sure why the dramatics. Even the best games out there have issues right out the gate and usually if you just stick it out for a month or so, things are golden from there after a patch or two.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2011, 03:52 AM   #12
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Great news for EA!

I was wondering about how well NHL '12" would sell right out of the gate. With Madden releasing just two weeks earlier, and FIFA right around the corner. And of course the rotten economy. Great to hear the game is doing well.

This is certainly my favorite playing NHL game to date. I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

But as mentioned....the freezing problems many are having sucks. I know my feelings would be a lot different if I was froze solid. I've been lucky....so far. [knock on wood.]
Old 09-21-2011, 05:01 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Well it's software, bugs and such are bound to happen. I most likely won't experience a freeze for a couple of reasons. One, because I like to wait until the rosters are pretty well updated and have the rookies. Two, because I know there will be a patch that most likely fixes the issues or most of them around October (will probably be waiting on the rosters still anyways).

As I posted elsewhere, this is nothing new to this series or basically any sports game, so I'm not sure why the dramatics. Even the best games out there have issues right out the gate and usually if you just stick it out for a month or so, things are golden from there after a patch or two.
Trust me as a dev myself, I know all about bugs.

This happening to many, many people on a regular basis is so poor. This is the freeze I and countless others get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtK4kSqkCEw&feature

It is not dramatic to be pissed that a game cannot even complete the core selling point of two teams taking to the ice and playing a complete 3 periods. That was never the case this-gen. 08, 09, 10 or 11 were never this fragile. The software completely locking up a high proportion of the time, usually when a CPU goal is scored, is absolutely rubbish.

It's a fatal flaw and the title should NOT have made it onto the shelves in its current state if adequate testing was done. All this talk of "wait for the patch" is nonsense. I'm not a beta tester. Sure, give a pass for online issues because that is always problematic as no amount of QA can ever simulate the server stress that is caused when the general public pick up the game en masse. However, constant lockups in single player and the front end are inexcusable.

We've had no confirmation of a patch to resolve these issues to my knowledge. All EA wants to talk about is how great the sales are.

EA has my money, the game I have doesn't function correctly at the base level. It's a trust issue and EA are rapidly losing it across all franchises. I play sports titles by other devs and they generally don't have the same volume of major problems. NHL used to be the least affected by serious QA oversights - not this year. If the 12 months development cycle does not provide enough time to make damn sure the game is watertight, they should look to the schedules or they'll end up losing more money than they gain in the long term.

And breathe...

Last edited by Therion7; 09-21-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #14
Banned

OVR: 11
Angry Re: EA Sports NHL 12 Shatters Records in First Week

Quote:

This happening to many, many people on a regular basis is so poor. This is the freeze I and countless others get.

It is not dramatic to be pissed that a game cannot even complete the core selling point of two teams taking to the ice and playing a complete 3 periods. That was never the case this-gen. 08, 09, 10 or 11 were never this fragile. The software completely locking up a high proportion of the time, usually when a CPU goal is scored, is absolutely rubbish.

It's a fatal flaw and the title should NOT have made it onto the shelves in its current state if adequate testing was done. All this talk of "wait for the patch" is nonsense. I'm not a beta tester. Sure, give a pass for online issues because that is always problematic as no amount of QA can ever simulate the server stress that is caused when the general public pick up the game en masse. However, constant lockups in single player and the front end are inexcusable.

We've had no confirmation of a patch to resolve these issues to my knowledge. All EA wants to talk about is how great the sales are.

EA has my money, the game I have doesn't function correctly at the base level. It's a trust issue and EA are rapidly losing it across all franchises. I play sports titles by other devs and they generally don't have the same volume of major problems. NHL used to be the least affected by serious QA oversights - not this year. If the 12 months development cycle does not provide enough time to make damn sure the game is watertight, they should look to the schedules or they'll end up losing more money than they gain in the long term.

And breathe...
wow so well said, i absolutly agree! its a mess this year!
and please guys dont jump on the EA Bandwagon..enough is enough...

my hockey clup, we (up to 39 peoples!) play ALL EA s NHL Games (and real icehockey-yes we can play..of course not as good as the Canadiens but its ok)
here in Germany CANT play a Game
(season Mode offline freezes 2 ) 39 x 60€= 2340€ for NOTHING! Thanx EA!

Last edited by CupCrazyManiac; 09-21-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #15
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6

Just more reasons not to listen hardcore gamers.

Be ready for another summer of BS on all social media about useless thing while many aspect of the game will still be untouched.

It's not like we weren't aware this was coming.

That's the EA way, and while the game is good to my point of view, there still a lot of half-*** work done in this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #16
Banned

rangersfan30's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

And breathe...
Although i have had no freezing issues whatsoever i think this post is spot on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »