Home

The Basics of Reading a Defense in Madden NFL 12

This is a discussion on The Basics of Reading a Defense in Madden NFL 12 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
The Basics of Reading a Defense in Madden NFL 12

One of the most important aspects of football in general is being able to read the defense. As a quarterback, it is your responsibility to know the type of defense and recognize the coverage packages it might be employing. This also holds true in Madden and NCAA 12.

The very first thing we should all know is the basic defensive formation you are up against. In most cases it will be the 4-3 or the 3-4. There are some occasions when this will change, such as a 3rd-and-long situation or when you are trying to keep every play in front of you at all costs.

More defensive reading tips after the jump!!

Read More -- The Basics of Reading a Defense in Madden NFL 12
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / Wii
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
One of the best ways to improve the experience of playing these games (especially on offense) is to learn the game and how to read defenses pre and post snap. I think it may be better if these "guides" were released in a more specific format because it's never as simple or as basic as a one or two sentence blurb will allow.

I commend you for taking a step to improve the knowledge base of the average gamer out there. While there are a few poins I disagree with you on regarding weaknesses, etc. of each defense and in the keys to reading the coverages, I do like that OS is enhancing the experience by incorporating articles such as this.

While I'm not out to step on toes, I would definitely be willing to contribute to similar articles. I'm no expert but I do have coaching experience and love sharing how knowledge of the real-world game can translate into improved performance when playing the virtual representation.

I like where this is headed and I'd love to help moving forward if there is a need.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: The Basics of Reading a Defense in Madden NFL 12

Nice!! Keep it coming
Old 10-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4
Cover 1 is not a Zone defense - it is man free. that is man to man across the board with 1 player (typically, but not always) the Free Safety playing the middle to well, be the safety against big plays. Most man to man is cover 1.

Also worth noting that "true" cover 2 is 2 deep zone with 5 zones underneath, but you can also get a 2 Man look which is man across and 2 safeties or "Tampa 2" - which is really cover 3 stat starts out looking like 2 but the Mike back drops to deep middle and gives you 3 deep and 4 underneath.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
A word of caution to the reader should be given in this article though. There are variations of each defense type presented here. For example the author suggests that the flats are successful against a Cover-3 but there is a variation rightly called Cover-3 Flats that could come as a nasty surprise to the novice.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0
Meh, I always read the safety it is that simple.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: The Basics of Reading a Defense in Madden NFL 12

Thanks for reading guys. I know Cover 1 is technically a man coverage. I used it to point out that the safety would be covering a deep zone, and to let people know the deep part of the field would be easier to hit.

I do understand there are a ton of variations to these coverage's. This article was just to show the very basic shells of them without variations taken into account. If we went there, this would read like a NFL playbook. No one has time for that.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1
This helps offline, but online it's kind of useless. Not that the writer didn't do well, but there's no read for a nano blitz with waggly linebackers.
In other words, this would be helpful if there was a a videogame out that played like real football.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »