Home

NBA Jam: On Fire Edition Review (360)

This is a discussion on NBA Jam: On Fire Edition Review (360) within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #9
24 Forever

mike24forever's Arena

OVR: 29
This review score is directly related to 8.5 backlash of NBA 2K12. I hate to be that person, but this is a GREAT arcade basketball game, and the review should be based on that, and that alone. To say that this version of NBA Jam is "good", is a joke. This game is a blast. The attention to detail is amazing, and most importantly it plays a great game of arcade basketball. A must buy, if you enjoy this type of game.

This being said, if the reviewer rated this higher then 2K12, some people in this community would have tried to lynch him.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 49
Re: NBA Jam: On Fire Edition Review (360)

I just played the demo, and I can't see paying more then 4.99 for this game. IMO this game is for die hard retro NBA JAM players, and NON basketball fans(cause obviously its not at all basketball) This game has been done over 15 years ago. The gameplay is way too SNES like feeling. Dated. Might have been interesting if the gameplay was updated. The graphics arent too great either. Even for a arcade download($14.99) I would review it at around a 5

Play the demo before you buy
Old 10-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
Staff Writer

OVR: 29
All, the score behind the game is based more on innovation. The game doesn't bring new elements of gaming to the table, it just refines and old successful formula..I love the game, I think the review states that.

The bottom line at the top was actually written by an editor, and not me. I'm checking out why it was written since it goes against what I say in the review. Once the article is submitted though, it's no longer mine as it works in journalism, even in our online blog oriented type of gaming news site : ).

I wrote the pros and cons, though. I do believe there is some solid game play strategy in here if you read the review. Thanks all, appreciate it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

Knowing that you didn't write the bottom line part makes the review make more sense. I'm not sure how much more innovative they could've got. It's NBA Jam an established product, and people expect certain things from it. I don't see a whole lot of innovation from sports games in general latley. I think most of the focus on the sims games is going into realism and replicating the sport accurately.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:22 AM   #13
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshun
One thing that urks me, is one of the reasons EA has a issue when it comes to basketball and I know this is an arcade game. Adding badgers and pandas, is the furthest thing from basketball. It was 1 of the reasons I feel they "don't get it" when it come to just basketball related things people have been asking for for years in Live/Elite like "shortened season 28/56" option thats been on wishlist since 05.

Proiritize and focus on just basketball, then add the fluff later.... .
...what the hell?

You realize the original NBA Jam had characters that had no business on the court, right?

Mortal Kombat

Warren Moon, NFL quarterback

Will Smith

George Clinton

Bill Clinton

What do any of these people have to do with basketball? I can understand disappointment in Live/Elite or whatever, but to knock EA for NBA Jam having hidden teams that are unrelated to basketball is just stupid. As with many other aspects of EA's remake of NBA Jam, this is true to the original.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #14
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11

I'm yet to come across any flaws in this game. Therefore the review didn't make a whole lot of since to me. Really good game 9/10
Old 10-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
Rookie

bigdnlaca's Arena

OVR: 2
I agree with this review. It is a very fun game but to me the online just takes the fun away. My record I think is 26-5 or 6, somewhere in that neighborhood so I don't want to hear that "You don't know how to play" crap.

Anyways, I was playing over the weekend and now I just don't want to play it no more until it is patched. The 3 point shots of last yr wasn't a guarantee 3 points last yr because it was easier to block it with someone who had the ability to block it and you have to have a high 3pt rating for the shot to go down everytime.

This yr. the Computer AI online is in question. I think the difficulty level has to be on medium because they rarely help you at all on defense. If you make them become more aggressive, they can be out of position. If you make them conservative, they sometimes will stand there like a rock at times.

I'm not even going to go there with the disconnects. This game needs one patch because it seems like anyone that is a 6 or higher in 3pts are shooting them like layups when contested and it is boring going against people online who plays the same exact way every game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #16
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4
This game is incredible online. Favorite sports game right now

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »