Home

PES and FIFA Formations Guide (Part I)

This is a discussion on PES and FIFA Formations Guide (Part I) within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
PES and FIFA Formations Guide (Part I)

I play PES and FIFA with a friend who used to, without fail, use the default formations and slot names into positions. Then one day, after my lowly Wolves team beat his mighty Barcelona (OK, he wasn’t that good, but still), he crossed over to the dark side. Now sometimes our pre-game strategizing takes longer than the games themselves.

The point of this little anecdote is that setting up your team’s formation is one of the most overlooked things in football video games. You can have a lot of fun — geeky fun, nonetheless —tinkering with formations and getting the best out of your players. And as a bonus, you can also mastermind some unlikely victories in the process.

Firstly, a few disclaimers: This is not a tactics masterclass for two reasons. One, I’m not terribly bright. And two, we’re talking about video games. No matter their progress, at the end of the day the football we play on consoles is nothing like the football we see on TV. These games are still heavily tilted towards the gamer’s skills as opposed to their tactical understandings. Plus the AI is still nowhere smart enough to recognize and replicate the intricacies of each tactic.

What this is, is a starter’s guide to get you on your way to thinking and experimenting with different tactics. This article barely scratches the surface of each formation’s strengths and weaknesses. And as always, there are exceptions to the rule, so if I suggest that certain tactics are good for teams with certain styles, and you happen to disagree, by all means give it a try anyway. Either way, when you get your tinkering right and see the effects on the field, it’s a very satisfying feeling.

Read More - PES and FIFA Formations Guide (Part I)
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 12
Nice work, very enjoyable read.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
24 Forever

mike24forever's Arena

OVR: 29
This is great! Thank you!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: PES and FIFA Formations Guide (Part I)

Nicely done. So far very basic (as it should be) but I'm definitely reading part 2 when you post it.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5
Well done. Great piece.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2011, 05:33 AM   #6
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8
Nice work. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3
Very informative.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »