Home

MLB 2K12 Cover Athlete is Justin Verlander

This is a discussion on MLB 2K12 Cover Athlete is Justin Verlander within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #17
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: MLB 2K12 Cover Athlete is Justin Verlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ven0m43
I tried to trade for Verlander in last years game, but there the tigers wouldn't trade him, no matter who or how many players i gave them. Hopefully the trading gets better
There wouldn't trade him in real life last season, so why would they in the game?
Old 11-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #18
Rookie

StLfan72's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm cool with Verlander, he's a great player. I would have liked to have seen a position player since Halladay was on this year's cover. I would like to have seen a Ryan Braun, Curtis Granderson or even a David Freese on there; but like others have said, it's what's in the game rather than on the box that matters.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #19
Rookie

MrKasoogi's Arena

OVR: 3
Kind of interesting how 2k has put pitchers on the cover three of the last four years, (Lincecum, Halladay, Verlander), and The Show has never had a pitcher on the cover in their seven year history. Off topic from 2k, but I live in Minneapolis, and if The Show puts Mauer on the cover for the third straight, I will rage. It was okay after his 2009 MVP season. It wasn't okay after his mediocre 2010 season. But after a 2011 season where he missed half the year with pneumonia and "bilateral leg weakness"? They better not.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #20
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKasoogi
Kind of interesting how 2k has put pitchers on the cover three of the last four years, (Lincecum, Halladay, Verlander), and The Show has never had a pitcher on the cover in their seven year history. Off topic from 2k, but I live in Minneapolis, and if The Show puts Mauer on the cover for the third straight, I will rage. It was okay after his 2009 MVP season. It wasn't okay after his mediocre 2010 season. But after a 2011 season where he missed half the year with pneumonia and "bilateral leg weakness"? They better not.
Ummmm....they have a 3 year deal with him.
But I'm sure they are taking your threats quite seriously!

M.K.
Knight165
Old 11-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ven0m43
I tried to trade for Verlander in last years game, but there the tigers wouldn't trade him, no matter who or how many players i gave them. Hopefully the trading gets better
You're joking, right?

How many complaints would there be if you WERE able to trade Verlander (or Jeter, or any superstar) for peanuts???

C'mon, man.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #22
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165

M.K.
Knight165
Haha yeah, and does it really matter who's on the cover of a game, in the grand scheme of things? I never even look at the cover again after I buy a game and take the disc out.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:26 AM   #23
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165

M.K.
Knight165
Seriously? I don't understand why a company would put the same guy on the cover for three straight years unless they planned to rename the game after him. Not a big deal but it seems odd to me.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Seriously? I don't understand why a company would put the same guy on the cover for three straight years unless they planned to rename the game after him. Not a big deal but it seems odd to me.
exactly.
all star baseball mentioned jeter on the cover of the game.
to use the cover might not mean a lot, but it obviously means something or they'd just put a baseball on the cover.
If the cover didn't help sell copies [maybe not to US hardcore, but to some] it wouldnt be such a big deal.

Marketing is a big part of it, Mauer isnt that marketable right now.
Kind of reminds me of the Madden cover this year.
I am sure Madden would have sold a few more copies with Rodgers on the cover, If only to the young kid who go into a store with his mom and goes for the game with the guy on the cover he knows/likes.

Verlander is a good call.
He dominated the ptching world this year and 2k rolls the Million dollar perfect game angle.

But back to the long tern cover contract. A three year deal is a silly move.
if its a guy like jeter, tiger, or Shaq its one thing.
But Mauer?

I still think the cover should go to the big time player from the year before.
Somebody who when somebody walks into a gaming store there is a pull there based on the guy looking back at them off the box.

also, to the people who don't care about the cover and will just put it in a cabinet, you were going to buy the game anyways. The cover athlete idea is to help with promotion of the game and make it more marketable and noticable to the masses. If it doesnt matter, just put Francisco Cervelli on the cover every year.
It does make a difference.

ok i've kind of derailed long enough. But it's always grinded my gears hearing about that the cover doesn't matter.
Myabe not to you, or you, or you, but it does matter.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »