Home

Where Football Games Should be in 2011

This is a discussion on Where Football Games Should be in 2011 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #17
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42
I'd be almost willing to overlook some of Madden's gameplay flaws if the presentation was at least semi-passable. Here it is in 2011 and the closest thing we've gotten to an actual NFL broadcast as far as presentation is concerned is still a game that came out in 2004. Madden made good strides in that area this year, but the bad commentary pretty much nullified the art additions.

Gameplay should be more realistic as well, but it's not an either/or situation. Both elements probably would be better if there was some competition IMO.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 19
by now passing should be done with the analog stick along with a press of a button to cycle through the available recievers- which would be equivalent to checking down the receivers.
so basically youd cycle through to the receiver you want to throw to and use the analog stick to throw, and of course it would be sensitive based. deeper throws means youd hold the anlaog stick in the down motion longer and push up longer before releasing.

in addition dealing with the play clock. its about time subbing in and out packages should be included in the game. I want to see players subbing in and out, because that does take time off the play clock.
this would allow the game to be a bit more tactical. makes the favorite plays playbook feature more relevant, because cycling through plays and subbing packages does take more time.
this could also lead to better representation of delay of game penalties-without having to use that automatic 20 second run off feature

also (EA has this feature already),-make covering the ball when going through a hole, and getting hit by multiple players more important.

those are just a few biggest things that would add to a sim football game. along with some of things other posters have already mentioned.

there was one company that I bet would have been at this stage already.
In addition, the backbreaker series had some nice mechanics and features in their game.
they were doing some groundbreaking stuff-.
Too bad they didnt decide to make a complete football game with some sort of presentation element, and more testing with the camera angles.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2
Throwing the ball should be route based instead of being able to throw the ball to the receiver at any point in his route even before he makes a cut. The passing game in the modern NFL is about timing, quarterbacks throwing to spots and the receiver being where he is supposed to be. Madden or any other football game will have to redo the trajectory on throws and the intercations between db's and receivers.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #20
All Star

OVR: 17
-I want to see more varied throwing motions and release points/timing...some QB's have quick release like Romo and some are slow windups like Vince Young/Tebow.

-I want the CPU to STOP reading your plays on All-Pro/All-Madden, half of the fun/strategy in football is the playcalling. If you are ramming the ball down their throat, then call a play action pass, it's no fun when the CPU knows it and the play action fools NO ONE on the defense, they just run str8 to the QB without hesitation. Also if you are successfull passing, then call a run play out of a passing formation they are somehow lined up to stop the run! hmmm?? no fun at all b/c you can't get creative with your play calls.

-Someone also mentioned offensive/defensive line interaction. It is totally broken and unrealistic. There is no real sense of a "push" from either line and no real sense of weight/speed when they 2 are colliding.

-Also i am an advocate for more ratings, they author said it best. 2 WR's can be ranked 85 overall, but they should be able to be 2 totally different players in the way they play and things they are good at or bad at. This should also be reflected in actual gameplay.

-Maybe have something like a pocket presence trait, where if your QB's pocket awareness or presence is low then some of the icons for receivers fade and are hard to see except maybe 1 or 2(his 1st 2 reads for the given play, or even 1 if he is known to lock onto a receiver).

-A QB "evade" button or use the right stick for this. QB's like Big Ben, Romo, Rodgers are masters of evading the rush and keeping their eyes downfield. If a defender is closing in a flick of the stick triggers a spin move, shoulder dip, or shrug off of a would-be defender.(I think this is in NCAA and madden12 but not exactly sure, I haven't played it in months)

-Option to Double team a defensive lineman....also modify playbook to chip block him with TE's or RB's

-Having a more realistic pass rush, this goes along with lineman interaction.

-Also Madden 12, during pass plays if there is no one for a lineman to block he won't engage in a double team block, he'll just stand there looking crazy.

-I think they just need to overhaul what they have now, go to a new engine and just rebuild the entire game. I know that won't happen, but that's what needs to be done to get this thing more realistic. I don't think I will ever pay full price for another madden again...I only got this years version b/c I was able to get it for free.

-Great article as well, I wish they would take some of these ideas and put them into the game.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #21
All Star

OVR: 17
-Another thing I left out, is blown defensive assignments. Happens every week in the NFL. Players with low awareness ratings should sometimes totally blow assignments. In real life rarely is every player in the position that they are supposed to be in every play. Even good players should sometimes blow an assignment and play man when they should be zoning or something to that effect.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Where Football Games Should be in 2011

No offense to ChrisS, but im not interested in any of those fancy ideas listed in the article, i would be happy enough if we just had the current glaring issues fixed (such as lack of realistic pass rush from DE's).
Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 10
I think player interaction and qb play are the two biggest issues. I really like to see icon based progression for qbs. its to easy to avoid zone and man,blitzing because everyone likes to spread everyrhing out with four and five wides. With progression you read the defense set your progression as to whos icons you want to come up in your order and depending on how good your qb is the faster the progression. With this it makes it so you can actually fool the opponent into setting the wrong progression and making mistakes. It really replicates the real game both college and pro. As far as line play we need a real physics engine, I like some of the ideas for passing with the analog and the AI
Old 12-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #24
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8
Competition only helps... look at Fifa vs Pro Evolution Soccer... two great games this year for sports gamers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »