Home

MLB 12 The Show Preview - Pulse Pitching, Zone Analog Batting, Collision Awareness

This is a discussion on MLB 12 The Show Preview - Pulse Pitching, Zone Analog Batting, Collision Awareness within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #17
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: ESPN MLB 12: The Show' hands-on preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftheavy
Too much about vita ...seems like a huge focus. Generated pitch counts????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymalin
yep.They want twice our money. If not buying a Vita, not a fan of Move and if satisfied with current controls, where's the meat ?

Really MLB12 has left to offer than previous years.
Seriously? Seriously? I personally couldn't care less about Move (although I'm open to having my mind changed) and I can't justify the purchase of Vita right now . . . but to say there's too much focus there and it's hurting other areas?

What about:
Quote:
  • Sony has finally added not only player collisions, but collision awareness in "MLB 12: The Show."
  • And since cyber athletes will not only collide, but be aware of the potential collisions, players react in a much more realistic manner, sliding around tags from all angles, dropping the ball more often when going for the sweep tag, and even giving the occasional spike when necessary.
  • One of the biggest improvements "Show" fans will notice right away is the improved ball physics. In past games, there wasn't the amount of hit variety you'd expect from a baseball simulation, and that had to do mainly with the fact that the game's math was off. So this offseason, one of the more hardcore members of "The Show's" engineering team took up the challenge and re-wrote the entire ball physics code based on the actual math for how a spinning object reacts when it strikes everything from the bat to the playing surface to one of the bases.
  • Another big gameplay improvement comes in the form of the new "Pulse Pitching" dynamic.
  • But don't think this year is all about the mound as a new way to hit has also been added to the game, even if it's strictly for the hardcore. Sony calls it "Zone Analog Batting," and it combines what gamers loved about the old way to hit with the newer analog approach, as gamers manipulate the right stick to control stride and swing timing, while at the same time using your left stick to control where you swing in the zone.
  • # 500+ new presentation animations
  • # 300+ new fielding, throwing, and base running animations
  • # 150+ new batting stances
  • # 75+ new pitching animations
  • # 14 new umpires complete with their own personalities
  • # 2 new training techniques in Road to the Show (base running, fielding), as you're now a Double-A starter who is the most touted prospect on the team
  • Add to that the addition of Season and Franchise mode in co-op, new pitcher confidence logic, and franchise improvements that include new contract logic, improved trade logic, and an all new free agent signing process, and you have the baseball game "Show" fans have been waiting for.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #18
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sink4ever
Seriously? Seriously? I personally couldn't care less about Move (although I'm open to having my mind changed) and I can't justify the purchase of Vita right now . . . but to say there's too much focus there and it's hurting other areas?

What about:

What?...I can't see anything except the Move and Vita in your post or in that article.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 12-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #19
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165

What?...I can't see anything except the Move and Vita in your post or in that article.

M.K.
Knight165
Haha.

Okay, I've calmed down now, my apologies if I offended either of the fine people that I originally responded to. It just seems like there's been a ton of negativity since info started to be released, and as someone who's been driving myself crazy trying to enjoy the mess that is NCAA 12, I just couldn't understand it. That's okay, everyone has their own preferences and I just need to be more understanding.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:44 PM   #20
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23

Great preview from Jon Robinson as always, hes always excellent and you can tell, a real Show fan.

My main gripes were the stale broadcast feel - addressed, the lack of enough hit variety - clearly addressed with the all new physics code, poor commentary - looks to be addressed.

Add in new franchise improvements and im happy as can be with what SCEA San Diego has done to this years version.

Roll on March 6.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 13

Will an option for generated pitch counts be in the ps3 version?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #22
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sink4ever
Haha.

Okay, I've calmed down now, my apologies if I offended either of the fine people that I originally responded to. It just seems like there's been a ton of negativity since info started to be released, and as someone who's been driving myself crazy trying to enjoy the mess that is NCAA 12, I just couldn't understand it. That's okay, everyone has their own preferences and I just need to be more understanding.
That wasn't directed at you!
It was directed at those saying it's nothing but Move and Vita!
I'm agreeing with you....

Oh...and something tells me there is even more than what's in the article.

Just a funny feeling.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 12-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #23
MVP

bp4baseball's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:

Just a funny feeling.

M.K.
Knight165
Talk about a 1,2,3 K.O. First Russell's new avatar, then a fantastic article, and now a post like this
Old 12-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:

Just a funny feeling.

M.K.
Knight165
Yeah...they didn't even mention the commentary upgrades. Probably keeping that under wraps until later.

(disclaimer: I'm completely out of the loop and just speculating FYI, just because I went to CD one year doesn't mean I hear things anymore)

Love everything I read in that article, from the ball physics to the collisions, to the Vita and even the Move.

Last edited by bcruise; 12-13-2011 at 04:55 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »