Home

UFC Undisputed 3 Video - How to Unlock Alistair Overeem

This is a discussion on UFC Undisputed 3 Video - How to Unlock Alistair Overeem within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #25
MVP

fpac's Arena

OVR: 15
I don't use Facebook because IMO it's stupid and I have no use for it (that's beside the point) but I created one with a fake name and old email address I rarely use anymore just to get Overeem. The whole process took maybe 2 minutes and I'll never use it again so this doesn't really seem like that big of a deal to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: UFC Undisputed 3 Video - How to Unlock Alistair Overeem

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Jesus people. Its called marketing. I can understand that people are upset about the gamestop thing (I am too because I would prefer to buy my game somewhere else) but complaining about this? Most people have a Facebook account so its as simple as pressing the "like" button and adding your email address.

Don't have or want a Facebook account...create a fake one, press the like button and just have THQ send the code to your correct email address. That simple.
Doesn't have anything to do with how easy it is... It simply has to do with having to go about doing stuff to get things in a game you've already bought.

Like I said before - I liked when you bought a game, and that was it. You didn't have to go sending a letter to Nintendo Power, then them sending you a letter back with a code to put into say... Mike Tyson's Punch out so that you could unlock content on the game. You popped in the game, and you played it. I miss that.

Imagine putting Street Fighter II in your SNES, then going to the character screen and not seeing Ken. Then you look in the manual and it says "To unlock Ken, go tell a friend about Street Fighter II, then call us in a 3-way call with your friend, who will confirm that you told them about the game! We'll then give you a code that you can enter to unlock Ken!"

It's just nonsense and entirely unnecessary, but companies do it because they can. I don't get why you'd treat your consumers as gophers. They've already put down $60 to get your game - now you're going to make them run around and do things just so they can unlock 'special features' that should already be available to them from the get go?

Last edited by st67; 12-29-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #27
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Every major media company does promotions like "Like this page and see an exclusive clip from The Office" or "Tweet #American Idol and see an exclusive video". Its called marketing. If you want the video, you do it. If you don't, you don't have too. It cost you nothing and no one is forcing you to do it.
You're just arguing to argue here. I already told you about how THQ is doing it differently.

Quote:
No matter how you try to spin it...its not spamming. The message about UFC Undisputed appears once. Once.
And it appears on every single page of your friends. And it targets the advertizing toward them. No, having multiple targets toward you and your friends is not spaming...

Old 12-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #28
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by st67
Doesn't have anything to do with how easy it is... It simply has to do with having to go about doing stuff to get things in a game you've already bought.

Like I said before - I liked when you bought a game, and that was it. You didn't have to go sending a letter to Nintendo Power, then them sending you a letter back with a code to put into say... Mike Tyson's Punch out so that you could unlock content on the game. You popped in the game, and you played it. I miss that.

Imagine putting Street Fighter II in your SNES, then going to the character screen and not seeing Ken. Then you look in the manual and it says "To unlock Ken, go tell a friend about Street Fighter II, then call us in a 3-way call with your friend, who will confirm that you told them about the game! We'll then give you a code that you can enter to unlock Ken!"

It's just nonsense and entirely unnecessary, but companies do it because they can. I don't get why you'd treat your consumers as gophers. They've already put down $60 to get your game - now you're going to make them run around and do things just so they can unlock 'special features' that should already be available to them from the get go?
So I guess you HATE entering in the code for EA and THQ online passes, right? Because entering in that code is about the same amount of effort as liking a FB page.

Its totally about how easy it is. There is a reasonable amount of effort that can be expected to access a video game and its features. I'm OK with liking a FB page to get a fighter. I'm OK with entering a code for an online pass. I'm not OK with limiting my purchase options by forcing me to go to a specific store to get a fighter.

Also, you can't have it both ways. You say its not about how easy it is and then complain about THQ making "you run around" and use a SNES analogy that doesn't apply. The amount of effort you described in that analogy is much more effort than liking a FB page.

Again, THQ doesn't have your 60 bucks yet so if you don't like the practice....stop showing THQ you do buy buying the game.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:40 PM   #29
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
So I guess you HATE entering in the code for EA and THQ online passes, right? Because entering in that code is about the same amount of effort as liking a FB page.

Its totally about how easy it is. There is a reasonable amount of effort that can be expected to access a video game and its features. I'm OK with liking a FB page to get a fighter. I'm OK with entering a code for an online pass. I'm not OK with limiting my purchase options by forcing me to go to a specific store to get a fighter.

Also, you can't have it both ways. You say its not about how easy it is and then complain about THQ making "you run around" and use a SNES analogy that doesn't apply. The amount of effort you described in that analogy is much more effort than liking a FB page.

Again, THQ doesn't have your 60 bucks yet so if you don't like the practice....stop showing THQ you do buy buying the game.

for me it's a little bit about principles... for example, what if there are 8 different pages I have to "like" for the next game? I'll probably do it THIS TIME, but it's the DIRECTION in general I'm not a huge fan of. What if I bought the directors cut of 'blade runner' (which I have), but I had to 'like' the blade runner facebook page to actually see the directors cut or a 5min scene within it...

It's not about the effort. I'm effectively advertising for them having already purchased the game when that's not my job and I don't want to. Maybe I should get $5 off the game for doing so?

Again, not saying I'm personally not going to do it, just a bit apprehensive about where this leads into the future moving forward. I also don't think it makes sense to just take the company's side and say "well don't do it than" because 1, you're asking people to 'say' something that they may not believe and 2, as others have said, asking they do ANYTHING for a UFC heavyweight contender to be in the game BEYOND paying the money for the game I'm not a fan of.

Compare UFC 3, to Forza which has loads of DLC - you think those car models take less time or money? They aren't even doing the full body scans anymore (which imo were better).

quickly back to point #1 above; if I do indeed love the game, they will get plenty of free advetising from me, if I hate it, I have advertised for them without really endorsing the game.

If this goes too far, I will indeed 'speak with my wallet'. I kind of hope 2/3's of the like's come from made-up profile's with no friends...if they really do end up decreasing their advertising spending because of social media, perhaps the game price tag should be lowered..
Old 12-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #30
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
for me it's a little bit about principles... for example, what if there are 8 different pages I have to "like" for the next game? I'll probably do it THIS TIME, but it's the DIRECTION in general I'm not a huge fan of. What if I bought the directors cut of 'blade runner' (which I have), but I had to 'like' the blade runner facebook page to actually see the directors cut or a 5min scene within it...

It's not about the effort. I'm effectively advertising for them having already purchased the game when that's not my job and I don't want to. Maybe I should get $5 off the game for doing so?

Again, not saying I'm personally not going to do it, just a bit apprehensive about where this leads into the future moving forward. I also don't think it makes sense to just take the company's side and say "well don't do it than" because 1, you're asking people to 'say' something that they may not believe and 2, as others have said, asking they do ANYTHING for a UFC heavyweight contender to be in the game BEYOND paying the money for the game I'm not a fan of.

Compare UFC 3, to Forza which has loads of DLC - you think those car models take less time or money? They aren't even doing the full body scans anymore (which imo were better).

quickly back to point #1 above; if I do indeed love the game, they will get plenty of free advetising from me, if I hate it, I have advertised for them without really endorsing the game.

If this goes too far, I will indeed 'speak with my wallet'. I kind of hope 2/3's of the like's come from made-up profile's with no friends...if they really do end up decreasing their advertising spending because of social media, perhaps the game price tag should be lowered..
Again, lets talk about the matter at hand. They aren't asking you to like 8 pages. They are asking you to like 1. If they asked you to do more than that I could understand the complaint. I completely understand and agree with the complaints about the Gamestop fighters. But for Overeem, they are asking you like 1 page...thats it.

If you are apprehensive about the future....dont do it now. Its the same thing I say about DLC. People complained about DLC with the WWE series but still purchased it. No matter what you say or how much you complain, if THQ is making hundreds of thousands from DLC and gets millions of likes because of Overeem....they are going to do it every year.

Also your financial analysis of the marketing doesn't work at all. I don't think ANYONE would argue that the value of liking a page and having it appear on your timeline once is worth 5 dollars (or even 1 dollar) per person. Also I seriously doubt that we will see less advertising for this game because of social media. If anything I've seen more videos, Q&As, interviews and web trailers than any previous version. I can also guarantee that we will see as many TV commercials as we have for THQ's other fighting game, WWE 12.

Anyway, I'll agree to disagree. Its just a huge pet peeve of mine to hear people say "Im so enraged the THQ would make me like a FB page but I'm still gonna do it"
Old 12-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:

Its totally about how easy it is.
I've already made two posts explaining how I feel, and you completely ignore the principle. It would be nice if you'd actually listen to my point of view instead of telling me what it is and isn't.

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #32
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by st67
I've already made two posts explaining how I feel, and you completely ignore the principle. It would be nice if you'd actually listen to my point of view instead of telling me what it is and isn't.

Thanks.
I'm not ignoring the principle. What I'm saying is if you are such a principled person and this is such a significant issue, I expect that you won't purchase the game or if you do, I expect that you won't "like" the page so you can get Overeem.

Thanks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »